downgrade experience? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

downgrade experience?

lucky777

Intern
Hi Guys,
I was trying to churn some referral points and referred my partner for qantas amex card, unfortuantely she has applied for the wrong card. She applied qantas ultimate instead qantas discovery. I wonder if she could request to have card downgraded to qantas discovery card, is there any limitation how long you have to had you card for before request downgrade? E.g., she only got ultimate qantas for one month or so..

Thanks so much.

Happy Dude

Established Member
AFF Supporter
I though that you still received received some referral points regardless of the card applied for? I assume that the referral points for the card she applied for are less than the one intended. Your situation is likely to be unique so calling AmEx to explain might be the best option.

odysseus

Established Member
AFF Supporter
You have to speak to them about downgrade anyway so may as well tcall to confirm details.

That said, I'm not clear what you're trying to achieve. You say you wanted referral points and she got the wrong card. If you downgrade it won't be a referral on the new card. If you want to get the referral on the right card, she'd need to apply again - the problem is that you'd have to sit out the 18 month period all over again since she's now an existing member.

Quattro

Intern
You should have have received your referral points by now. You receive Referral points for the approval. Does not matter what card they go for.

Amex will be able to "downgrade" your partner. You will have to get her to call. Whether they require her to do another app or not would be something they can clarify. Amex won't revoke your referral points though.

It would affect your partners Referral "bonus" however for her card. E.g for the Q Ultimate it's 65k instead of 55k. She would forfeit those if she has not made the spend requirement.

AFF on Air Podcast

• British Airways Executive Club – AIR025
    Sat, 30 Nov 2019 22:53:26 AEDT
      Many Australians join Qantas Frequent Flyer by default. But even if you fly with Qantas regularly, you could benefit by using the British Airways Executive Club frequent f ...
  • Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...
  • HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...
  • “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MJP1961