Downer tops govt Frequent Flyer list | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Downer tops govt Frequent Flyer list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mal

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Downer tops govt Frequent Flyer list - Breaking News - National - Breaking News

Alexander Downer's title of foreign affairs minister should perhaps be changed to frequent flyer minister.

He's accrued 3.5 million frequent flyer points.

Joking with the lunching members of the American Chamber of Commerce on Friday, Mr Downer challenged anyone to outdo his frequent flyer account which he said he had accumulated after 11-1/2 years as a federal government minister.

He even speculated he had the most Qantas Frequent Flyer points of any South Australian and that despite the massive tally, he was rarely able to use them.
<continues>

Perhaps he should look around here as to what to do with them... I do believe one or two people I know of would have earned more than 3.5million points in 11 1/2 years through flying (that's only ~300000 per year!)

NYCguy

Established Member
3.5 million points? Yawn... OK, that IS a lot of miles, but I agree that quite a few contributors to this board could probably outdo that total.

Of course, one would expect no less of a Foreign Minister. One imagines also that Lord Downer will retain his CL membership after he retires...

Last edited:

simongr

Enthusiast
Jeez - he is FOREIGN affairs Minister - how the hell is he meant to deal with foreign countries if he doesn't travel.

Guess the collapsing economy doesnt sell as many papers....

Re th 3.5 million points/miles that would be after redemptions though (note I do not include upgrades ;))

serfty

Flights
My Map
If any of his US counter parts had around 1½ to 1¾ Million miles in their US based ff program they would have just as much redeemability as 3.5 M QFF points.

simongr

Enthusiast
Look they have added 10% to the cost of a DONE4 - the world is ending!

aus_flyer

Established Member
I agree, this really shouldn't be news.

But, just as a side note, nearly all of Downer's travel is done in a private jet, so that makes 3.5m a fair bit!

ioki

i had tho government employees are not allowed to accumulate FF points while travelling on tax payer's $$

littl_flier

ioki said:
i had tho government employees are not allowed to accumulate FF points while travelling on tax payer's $$
They aren't, but the politicians can. As the article suggests though, these points supposedly can only be used for Govt Travel

wallacej

Flights
My Map
"despite the massive tally, he was rarely able to use them."

Do you think I could email him my FF number. I understand transfers can be done up to 100,000 per year.... I could be a long lost twice removed cousin...:D

straitman

Flights
My Map
wallacej said:
"despite the massive tally, he was rarely able to use them."

Do you think I could email him my FF number. I understand transfers can be done up to 100,000 per year.... I could be a long lost twice removed cousin...:D
He might tell you to 'get lost' instead :!:

Mal

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
When he does retire, he will most likely be entitled to the "Life Gold Pass" - basically up to 25 return J trips (with spouse) within Australia for non-commercial reasons.

Parliamentary Remuneration Life Gold Pass and Severence Travel

No overseas travel though - but I'm sure his consulting/speaking/Consulate position (if he gets one) will ensure that he gets some paid by others!

kpc

AFF Supporter
All I can say is::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil: re life Gold pass
As for the foreign minister ....well I don't think I'll start name calling...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Namik