Double points only at hotel restaurants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparoz

Has anyone spoken to Amex about this yet? I regularly dine in whilst away at hotel restaurant, and despite paying and not charging it to my room it still bills as per hotel. Anyone have any solutions to this?

Yep if the restaurant charges as the hotel then it's double points

Happens in lots of places to me and it's annoying

No solution :(

I regularly call Amex on behalf of my Dad to fix this issue over the phone and they take down my feedback and have me credited points for the inconvenience. It is really unfair and disappointing to be awarded only double points when having high tea at a hotel restaurant or even awarded at 1 point when the restaurant classifies themselves as a retail business. Honestly, as consumers, how will we know if the merchant classifies themselves other than a restaurant in Amex's merchant system. If I have been communicated simply that restaurants entitle me to triple points then that is my expectation. I don't expect some terms and conditions to block me from earning the points that the product was made for. The card product is made to award us for spend made at the bonus categories. Sorry about the rant but I still enjoy using my supplementary Amex card for the points.

Here is the terms:

Spending at restaurants, airlines and accommodation, major cruise and tour operators will only be eligible for increased Membership Rewards points where they are categorised as such in the American Express Merchant Acceptance system. For example, dining within a retail department store, hotels, pubs and liquor outlets may not be eligible to receive the additional points for restaurants. Membership Rewards points are awarded on the $AU equivalent amount of the spend in foreign currency. Except for spend in foreign currency, purchases at these merchants are only eligible for additional points if the transactions are made in Australia.

It is not really a solution with what I have suggested, but I regularly give them feedback on this because in someways it is misleading to not be awarded 3 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back