Domestic flights from Melb/Syd international terminals | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Domestic flights from Melb/Syd international terminals

Snowman

Intern
Flights
My Map
Hey all!
I'm thinking about Christmas holidays and where to go.
Does anyone know if JQ has any domestic flights leaving from Melbourne or Sydney international terminals around that time of year?
It would be nice to start our trip with a first lounge visit - I'm not travelling much at the moment, so would be good to make the most of it before my plat membership expires!
I had a look at Melb-Syd, and Melb & Syd to Cairns (both of which I've had luck with in the past) - but couldn't find any.
Any intel would be appreciated.
My other option is to fly to Cairns via NZ!
Cheers :)

Melburnian1

Enthusiast
Flights
My Map
These short distance sectors can be subject to cancellation. Regrettably, not always reliable, especially if JQi wants to recover from late running.

aikman

There are flights to Gold Coast from Melbourne on Wednesday and from Sydney on Fridays and Sundays in December.

levelnine

Not if you have QFF status that gives lounge access irrespective of class-of-service.
That is incorrect. It has now changed, according to the website.

See, eg, access to the international first lounge on the basis of QFF status:

1567382489461.png

See the '+' mark next to 'Jetstar'.

Click that and it takes you to the following information at the bottom of the page:

Jetstar refers to Jetstar Airlines (JQ), Jetstar Asia (3K), Jetstar Japan (GK) and Jetstar Pacific (BL). Must be travelling onwards on a Jetstar Airways operated and marketed flight in the business cabin on a business max fare. Lounge access is only permitted in the port where Jetstar Business operates from. No guest permitted.

esseeeayeenn

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Hey all!
I'm thinking about Christmas holidays and where to go.
Does anyone know if JQ has any domestic flights leaving from Melbourne or Sydney international terminals around that time of year?
It would be nice to start our trip with a first lounge visit - I'm not travelling much at the moment, so would be good to make the most of it before my plat membership expires!
I had a look at Melb-Syd, and Melb & Syd to Cairns (both of which I've had luck with in the past) - but couldn't find any.
Any intel would be appreciated.
My other option is to fly to Cairns via NZ!
Cheers :)
You could pick up QF9 MEL-PER.
That would overcome the new JQ access rule which will otherwise rule out domestic flights.

levelnine

Hmm, that is one powerful little (+) hidden in the fine print and also appears to make the guesting benefit (2) redundant. When did this enhancement occur?
It appears to have occurred in recent months when Qantas launched its new lounge access page.

A number of silent 'enhancements' took place. Access when connecting to/from an international J flight was also removed, for example.

opusman

I doubt it's been changed without notification. Wouldn't be the first time the lounge access information on the website was inaccurate. Has anyone been turned away on the basis of this?

levelnine

Wouldn't be the first time the lounge access information on the website was inaccurate.
This page is a recently updated page, reflecting the most up-to-date rules for lounge access.

While it may be an error, if I were the OP, I certainly wouldn't be basing my whole trip around lounge access on the basis of this change.

serfty

Veteran Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
I know of a WP and their Guest who used the First Lounge at MEL before flying Jetstar domestically last week.

@opusman is on the money IMHO.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heavyd75