Do people value Travel Insurance on domestic flights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jleno

I'm curious about how AFFers feel about travel insurance when travelling domestically.

For me personally, the key point about travel insurance is medical insurance. Everything else seems to be a "good to have" insurance but non-essential.

Accordingly, if you're an Oz resident, then you generally get the national health care system to cover you for any accidents etc and travel insurance is a bit of a luxury.

I was thinking about this on a domestic flight booking today when I was slightly angry about having to pay $7.50 for using my credit card and decided that I will use BPay wherever possible from now on, which of course means the credit card travel insurance will not be activated.

Unless I'm mistaken (about the national medical system)?

I'm curious about how AFFers feel about travel insurance when travelling domestically.

For me personally, the key point about travel insurance is medical insurance. Everything else seems to be a "good to have" insurance but non-essential.

Accordingly, if you're an Oz resident, then you generally get the national health care system to cover you for any accidents etc and travel insurance is a bit of a luxury.

I was thinking about this on a domestic flight booking today when I was slightly angry about having to pay $7.50 for using my credit card and decided that I will use BPay wherever possible from now on, which of course means the credit card travel insurance will not be activated.

Unless I'm mistaken (about the national medical system)?

I have automatic cover and the only time I have used it was being stranded by the ash cloud. Then it proved its weight in gold. Personally if you don't want insurance, don't be upset if plans go belly up.

As we are in Australia I don't worry about medical, ambulance is covered nationally and we have a good hospital system.

I have automatic cover and the only time I have used it was being stranded by the ash cloud. Then it proved its weight in gold. Personally if you don't want insurance, don't be upset if plans go belly up.

As we are in Australia I don't worry about medical, ambulance is covered nationally and we have a good hospital system.

Ambulance is covered by who nationally? For many it will be in their health insurance, but not all will have this.

The main thing for domestic travel insurance is for any inconvenience that may occur.

Travel Insurance as a general rule excludes medical, dental and ambulance and I suspect most CC covers would be the same.

For most, domestic travel insurance will really be there to cover for unforeseen cancellation.

I have it as part of my annual policy but have never had to use it.

TG

I usually take out insurance if I'm hiring a car so you are covered for the damage excess.

When i travel for work, their insurance policy covers me, for private trips i don't bother, not that i take many of them...

Major disturbances and cancelled flights, well the airline will usually make good on those (plus how many exploding volcanoes has been over the last 10 years??), I've got private health cover valid for around Australia, don't hire cars... So would want to be a pretty cheap insurance policy or else it would be cheaper just to cover costs as they arose...

Back in August we were all stranded at OOL on a Saturday night due to the inability of planes to land because of bad weather. My automatic card insurance covered us for up to $700 so we booked a nice-enough room and ordered room service before flying home (out of BNE) the next day. I claimed almost $600. Granted this is the first time I've been stranded overnight on a domestic trip but I value the insurance for this type of eventuality.

I have an annual policy that covers domestic and made my first claim this year after being locked down in DRW during a cyclone, so I found it handy!

Well most/many have ambulance cover..
... and many have cover for emergency ambulance though their private health insurance.

I basically "Self Insure" for domestic trips, although that does not stop me perusing the PDS of any CC insurance that may be applicable.

[OT RANT]
Once upon a time, "Ambulance Subscription" was quite reasonably priced and private health insurance would generally contribute a significant rebate on the premium.

Unfortunately, "Ambulance Victoria" kept putting the price up and up until it reached a level where the health insurance company actuaries decided it had become simply a fund raiser, so stopped the rebate and just provided cover for emergency situations via their standard policies.

I was caught out after renewing am Ambulance subscription one year only to be denied a the rebate by my insurer.:evil:
[/OT RANT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back