DJ losing their lustre?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuapekastar

Established Member
Okay, some might say they never had any in the first place :p, but I've been 99% happy and impressed since starting to fly DJ last year, especially so with MEL-PER A330 flights in J. Prior to the weekend I had taken 2 returns to PER (one via SYD) using comp upgrades and was very impressed both times, with the service, food, FA attitudes, pretty much everything. It is worth noting that at least 3 (maybe all 4, cannot recall) of these flights had only 5 to 8 pax in a 27-seat cabin. This was not the case this weekend just gone, and maybe that is relevant here.

This is not a whinge session (the sky certainly did not fall in), just some observations with a view to trying to see if there may be some sort of trend (I just coincidentally noticed Cruiser Elite's post in Open Discussion re his recent VA international experience) or whether my experience was one-off.

I had a small excuse to go to PER and that was all I needed. Points and pay one way, flexi fare and comp upgrade the other!

Booked OK only 5 days out, that was a plus having the relevant inventory available.

First minor disappointment was the sub for PER-MEL from new config 330 to old config 330 - I have not been able to crack it yet for a new one. :( Still, no big deal. Selected 2D out, and 2F back (banking on 2E remaining unsold).

MEL lounge was fine, plane was late getting to gate, maybe a 30 minute delay. No worries for me, and we ended up landing a little early anyway. Got on board and into my seat with no fuss. And sat there for an eternity while FAs seemed to randomly scuttle around the cabin delivering bits and pieces to different pax. Eventually someone came to me with drinks and I took a glass of fizz, which was OK. I noticed a large pile of newspapers being offered down the RH aisle, but they never made to the LH aisle where I was. Around door-shut time an FA handed me an amenity kit - sort of like an afterthought. I got no menu though, and in hindsight should have asked for it then, because the next time I saw the FA was when she approached me, pen and paper in hand to see what I had chosen for lunch and to drink. I had to inform her that she had not actually given me a menu - she did not offer to get one, just quickly reeled off the choices, which of course means you have no time to consider what you want, nor get the complete picture of what is available (accompaniments etc.)

I chose the tandoori lamb entree (OK, but not great), and was offered beef cheek, snapper or a vege option for main. I chose snapper because they never stuff up fish - or so I thought! In all honesty I wasn't initially even sure I had received fish! I eat snapper a bit at home and this piece of tasteless, very dry, tough-as-old-boots thing that was dished up bore no resemblance and was almost inedible. This coming from someone who cannot recall the last I did not finish an airline meal - it is very difficult to serve me a meal I won't finish, but they managed it here. Ate some accompaniments and tried several bites of the alleged fish but that was all I could manage. Dessert was OK whatever it was. I had a quick browse of 2F's menu, but did not ask the FA for one, as I noticed it contained Eastbound and Westbound menus, so I figured I'd just get one on the return trip (I should have known better :p).

Drinks were fine (though she served me the red I didn't choose) and the rest of the trip was uneventful. On previous trips the CSM had always come around at some stage to individually thank the pax for flying VA, even shaking my hand a couple of times. I can live without any of that stuff, don't need it, but just noting it as a difference here, in that it did not occur.

As noted earlier the J cabin for my previous trips had been lightly loaded, maybe 5 to 8 pax each time. This time we had about 15 or 16 - not full but still a considerable increase, and I wonder if this contributed to the service differences and possibly the state of the fish. Oh and as an aside, the guy across the aisle was not happy re not being able to 'free upgrade' someone travelling with him. From the snippets I caught, my best guess is he wanted to use a comp upgrade for them, but was told there were 'no seats'. And he gets on and sees 11 or 12 empty seats. I suspect appropriate inventory availability was his problem.

The return trip was running 30 minutes late as well, no big deal. However I got quite a surprise when I got to the end of the bridge and saw through the window a red plane :shock: The plane downgrade had gone from new 330 to old 330 and now to a 738! Now 27 seats into 8 do not go - it probably would not have been a full J cabin on the 330, but almost certainly more than 8. I had heard a couple of women with some small kids at the gate talking to each other about 'a downgrade' - I suspect they had been shuffled behind the curtain. I was fortunate enough to have 2F which exists in J on both configs. I have no idea how they select the people to miss out on J in these situations (I checked in on the totem pole at the airport), but I imagine having a seat which exists as J in both planes may help in this regard.

This may or may not have had anything to do with the crew, but the FA seemed to know immediately she saw my seat number, that the seat was occupied by someone else. She motioned to the guy that he would need to move, and he seemed to be expecting it. I stopped him as he stood up and said is this (indicating 2D on the aisle) your assigned seat, and he said yes it was. So I said I'm happy in the aisle if you want the window, and he thanked me and sat back down in 2F, and I took 2D. Two minutes later the 'real' 2D arrived, so I had to turf the window guy and move into 2F myself. I suspect a lot of confusion existed after the plane downsize, but I did specifically ask the original guy if 2D was his (I didn't even notice where he ended up, across the aisle I think).

So now that it was a 738 there no pre-takeoff fizz, and no menu of any description (but damn sure I won't be ordering the alleged snapper in future ;)). The meal was quite nice (a chorizo bake sort of thing) though there was no butter for the roll. Drinks kept coming (only one red available but it was OK). Got a digeplyer and watched some sci-fi thing.

Plane subs happen, and while sometimes it is disappointing (this case, and say a 747 for a 380) I can live with that and got home in one piece, fed and watered (not sure I would been happy ending up somewhere back in Y though, compo or not). And the little lapses in service and food can happen from time to time and individually they are no big deal, and there were not many.

But really, and this is the nub, the crew just seemed somewhat flustered, overwhelmed, and a bit ragged, struggling to cope, especially on the outbound. The inbound flight being late to the gate may have contributed, but that happens all the time. I'm wondering if they cannot handle reasonably full J cabins on the large planes, or whether as the thread title alludes to, maybe the honeymoon is over and this standard of service and food may become the norm. I certainly hope not, I have bye and large enjoyed (very much so, in fact) my DJ experiences in the past and will definitely be using my comp upgrades for transcon again sometime, in the hope that this weekend was an exception.

Lets see if the masses have similar views?

A one off or have VA reached their limits of efficiency.

For my bit I've flown 4 J sectors last week. All good this end.

Sent from my iPhone using Aust Freq Fly app

DJ do not do plane subs well at all, had a couple given boarding passes for row 1 on my flight to OOL last week after issues with a connecting flight regraded back to row 3 on board, still not sure why the seat pass the parcel is still happening, but it's not good enough.

Okay, some might say they never had any in the first place :p, but I've been 99% happy and impressed since starting to fly DJ last year, especially so with MEL-PER A330 flights in J. Prior to the weekend I had taken 2 returns to PER (one via SYD) using comp upgrades and was very impressed both times,
I chose the tandoori lamb entree (OK, but not great), and was offered beef cheek, snapper or a vege option for main. I chose snapper because they never stuff up fish - or so I thought! In all honesty I wasn't initially even sure I had received fish! I eat snapper a bit at home and this piece of tasteless, very dry, tough-as-old-boots thing that was dished up bore no resemblance and was almost inedible. This coming from someone who cannot recall

Drinks were fine (though she served me the red I didn't choose) and the rest of the trip was uneventful. On previous trips the CSM had always come around at some stage to individually thank the pax for flying VA, even shaking my hand a couple of times. I can live without any of that stuff, don't need it, but just noting it as a difference here, in that it did not occur.

As noted earlier the J cabin for my previous trips had been lightly loaded, maybe 5 to 8 pax each time. This time we had about 15 or 16 - not full but still a considerable increase, and I wonder if this contributed to the service differences and possibly the state of the fish. Oh and as an aside, the guy across the aisle was not happy re not being able to 'free upgrade' someone travelling with him. From the snippets I caught, my best guess is he wanted to use a comp upgrade for them, but was told there were 'no seats'. And he gets on and sees 11 or 12 empty seats. I suspect appropriate inventory availability was his problem.

The return trip was running 30 minutes late as well, no big deal. However I got quite a surprise when I got to the end of the bridge and saw through the window a red plane :shock: The plane downgrade had gone from new 330 to old 330 and now to a 738! Now 27 seats into 8 do not go - it probably would not have been a full J cabin on the 330, but almost certainly more than 8. I had heard a couple of women with some small kids at the gate talking to each other about 'a downgrade' - I suspect they had been shuffled behind the curtain. I was fortunate enough to have 2F which exists in J on both configs. I have no idea how they select the people to miss out on J in these situations (I checked in on the totem pole at the happy in the aisle if you want the window, and he thanked me and sat back down in 2F, and I took 2D. Two minutes later the 'real' 2D arrived, so I had to turf the window guy and move into 2F myself. I suspect a lot of confusion existed after the plane downsize, but I did specifically ask the original guy if 2D was his (I didn't even notice where he ended up, across the aisle I think).

So now that it was a 738 there no pre-takeoff fizz, and no menu of any description (but damn sure I won't be ordering the alleged snapper in future ;)). The meal was quite nice (a chorizo bake sort of thing) though there was no butter for the roll. Drinks kept coming (only one red available but it was OK). Got a digeplyer and watched some sci-fi thing.

Plane subs happen, and while sometimes it is disappointing (this case, and say a 747 for a 380) I can live with that and got home in one piece, fed and watered (not sure I would been happy ending up somewhere back in Y though, compo or not). And the little lapses in service and food can happen from time to time and individually they are no big deal, and there were not many.

But really, and this is the nub, the crew just seemed somewhat flustered, overwhelmed, and a bit ragged, struggling to cope, especially on the outbound. The inbound flight being late to the gate may have contributed, but

Flew J SYD-OOL the day before yesterday 5/8 in J cabin. I'm noticing 737 J service is becoming a lot more polished and in to line with coast to coast service. (With exception of food, got 'the' cheese platter, but also got a plate of mixed nuts)

So I'm going to have to disagree with you tuapekastar. I would say they are only getting better. ESPECIALLY SINCE THEY GOT RID OF PEPSI!

Sent from my iPhone using AustFreqFly app

Last edited:
Tuapekastar, I would recommend sending feedback as soon as possible regarding your experience - if you can remember the crew names or have the flight numbers/times that would probably be even better.

It sounds like a disappointing experience, maybe a one off, but it shouldn't happen at all.

So I'm going to have to disagree with you tuapekastar. I would say they are only getting better. ESPECIALLY SINCE THEY GOT RID OF PEPSI!
My ony Coast to Coast experience was so good, it is hard to see them getting any better.

Setting such a high standard from the start can be hard to keep up.

My ony Coast to Coast experience was so good, it is hard to see them getting any better.

Setting such a high standard from the start can be hard to keep up.

Their 737 J service was a bit lackluster from launch. That was what I was referring to.
I generally don't do a lot of C2C flights.

Sent from my iPhone using AustFreqFly app

This time we had about 15 or 16 - not full but still a considerable increase, and I wonder if this contributed to the service differences ...the crew just seemed somewhat flustered, overwhelmed, and a bit ragged, struggling to cope, especially on the outbound. ... I'm wondering if they cannot handle reasonably full J cabins on the large planes...
I think that there is a small, but noticeable difference in service on an A330 with a full J cabin.

I would categorise it as "by the book service". And IME when the CS (doing prep in the galley) and the 2 FAs (serving either aisle) go into this "mode", due to a full cabin, two ancillary elements might also happen -

1) "minor bits" of the standard service, start to go missing or mess up (just as the OP experienced & outlined). E.G. my example would be a main meal delivered without a side salad, which ended up apologetically served after dessert, once the mistake was realised.
2) passenger requests made "out sync with the service order", won't be actioned. E.G. order a cointreau to drink prior to the FAs getting the dessert aperitifs delivery phase, and it won't come until the appropriate "by the book" point.

I think primarily it is an experience thing, and DJ don't have CSs & FAs with enough years of A330 J experience under their belts yet. (Similar problems can also occur when extended seat belt sign time is required due to turbulence.)

IMO maybe DJ needs to send DMs on all A330 flights with anticipated high loads for the time being. (Or pull a few FMs or CLs over from VA as mentors, whom are use to B777 service sizes.)

what they can't do is send CSMs (cause they work at Qantas ;))

DM - Development Manager (Ground based job at base airports, FAs & CSs direct report)
FM - Flight Manager (VA International Long Haul, B777 onboard head of service)
CL - Cabin Leader (VA International Long Haul, B777 oboard deputy of service)

Had a 7/8J ADL/SYD. CSM was shockingly efficient, lacked a bit of enthusiasm but it was evident she was quite senior and had probably been doing it for a while. Managed to look after all of J and went to Y to welcome status pax

Then again I've had some quite enthusiastic but perhaps less experienced and much slower CSM's in empty cabins; would be interested to see how they fared in a full cabin.

I would agree that VA has some work to do with the crew being able to handle a full cabin... i've had a couple of awesome flights on VA, but also a couple of sh!tters. The cough ones seem to always on a full flight.

I chose the tandoori lamb entree (OK, but not great)

I really liked this entree last night, and was enthuastic enough in my praise of it to be offered a second serve, which I happily accepted. Service was great, but only 9 seats taken on XFA. I asked the rego as we got to return to Gate 4 at MEL not long after pushing back to look at a door fault and I was wondering if I had experienced the dreaded XFB.

My 2 out of 2 flights transcon in J this weekend had great service, but neither was particularly full up front.

I have had a few VA flights and in all honesty service has been OK.

My flight back from NAN was not bad service but i ordered 2 scotch's with lemonade and soda water they would only give me one scotch at a time. Once I used the first Scotch I requested my second scotch and it took ages and then the same girl that I had already paid for it to wanted to charge me again. I had to show her the invoice and then go it.

I have had better service on QF flights.

We where the only people in PE section and they had no staff allocated to our area and when we wanted anything we had to ring the bell and wait and wait.

I LOVED the snapper when i flew on the new A330. Delicious.
I had a very 'meh' J flight today SYD-MEL. Just run of the mill. No predeparture drink and very late serving of lunch and drink. Was OK though.

I had a very 'meh' J flight today SYD-MEL. Just run of the mill. No predeparture drink and very late serving of lunch and drink. Was OK though.

Seems the lack of per-departure drink is happening more often!

An OK flight is not acceptable for J

I would tend to agree that the honeymoon period is definitely over and DJ have found themselves back as a distant second to QF.

A good example (one of many recently): I called the DJ Platinum line to upgrade two Flexi bookings to J. I had three upgrades available (one of the recent bonus ones plus two of my Platinum ones that are expiring next week). I specifically asked the (very friendly) lady to use the two that are expiring next week. She confirms this (at painful length) and I figure all is done. I log into my bookings to find one of my Platinum upgrades gone along with one my bonus one gone - exactly what I asked her not to do! *Sigh*. I email platinum@velocity asking them to fix it up. Really, it should be simply. I'm sent a template email the next day saying "so sorry, we've passed this on to be looked at". 3 weeks later, not a word has been heard and the issue hasn't been fixed. I consider it very poor to 1) stuff something up and then 2) advise you'll fix it but never get back to the customer. Screams of amateur hour!

On the same call, the lady goes through my Platinum benefits to make sure I've gotten everything I'm entitled to (again, friendly and helpful - but it's the execution that fails). We check off Hilton Diamond and Hertz #1 Club (which was taken 6 months ago... still no card) and she then says "you've also got a year of platinum membership to give to a family member of colleague). I queried this as I'd never heard of it. She says it's something new they have to promote platinum or something. I ask what I need to do. It's easy, she says, just let me know who you'd like to give it to and provide their Velocity number. I decide my now high flying mother would be a good recipient and manage to find her Velocity number a few minutes later. The lady takes down her name, Velocity number and a few other details, "processes" them and says "great, all done, she'll get a Platinum card and membership back in about 7-10 days. What do you know... not a word has been heard since. Now I realise this is probably something I'm not entitled to (as I've never heard of it), but why tell me about it, waste my time and disappoint a valuable customer for apparently no reason? Beyond belief really.

Add that to a particularly "meh" BNE-SYD in J a few weeks ago, I really don't think DJ has done enough to become a market leader. They needed to beat Qantas on as many levels as possible, but they've basically ended up just below par on all counts. Disappointing, but that's my view of how it's fallen.

Marketing and new planes can only do so much, but the new planes don't even have IFE... I know I have done that argument to death, but you have a brand new plan and you expect people to use their own tablet/device/netbook/laptop to watch something & try to fit it on the tray table. It's not enjoyable!

DJ's new marketing/advertisement of staff is nice, but there are quite a few dud staff around and they are the CSM's or whatever in J.... which is most concerning....

Out of my 15 or so recent DJ J flights, at a quick "guess"
4 outstanding
7 duds
4 good

On QF, on my recent 7 or so J fligths
5 outstanding
2 good
No duds, granted most of these QF flights were on lightly loaded 767's with heaps of cabin crew but still...... Meals presented perfectly, drinks topped up fast and constantly...

These flights were a combination of fully paid/points+pay and JASA's

I am Plat with DJ and Silver with QF, yet QF make me feel more welcome! I think I just have a soft spot for QF I guess..

The more I think about it, I wish DJ all the best, but I am putting more and more flights through on QF even in Y!

My one coast to coast in J was excellent as well. However, I have to agree there is a contrast between what I see now and what I experienced 18 months ago. Calling the Platinum line, nothing was too difficult, very flexible, very helpful. I often sent feedback complimenting the experience and recommending staff members for acknowledgement. Now it seems it’s the opposite. No flexibility, nothings easy. On board I am primarily interested in the personal interest. If I feel welcome I'm generally happy. I don't seem to feel welcome these days. The personal interest and attentiveness is gone.

The Frequent Flyer Concierge team takes the hard work out of finding reward seat availability. Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, they'll help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

I get better service being a WP on Qantas then I have on DJ. Esp flying in Y.

Seems the lack of per-departure drink is happening more often!

An OK flight is not acceptable for J

No offer of dig-e player either now that I come to think of it. Would have said 'no thanks' anyway.
However I did ask for a sandwich from the Y menu (was starving) and the FA did bring me one and a bag of nuts thrown in.

No offer of dig-e player either now that I come to think of it. Would have said 'no thanks' anyway.
However I did ask for a sandwich from the Y menu (was starving) and the FA did bring me one and a bag of nuts thrown in.

I think the dig e player has gone the way of the dodo, with the Tabs now ruling, which will be much better when content is centrally stored and streamed than the limited choices on offer at present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back