Deceptive 12000 Anz offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

albatross710

Established Member
Hi,

I know that I shouldn't expect more of these pillars of the Australian banking industry but...hearing the radio advert running for 12,000 points just for getting an ANZ Qantas card I had to enquire.

First page that they direct you to:
www.anz.com.au/12000points

Gives the main marketing blurb, but no hint of the annual charge which i had a feeling was going to be ~$95. I read the "Terms & Conditions" still no hint of the charges.

Started going through the application but still no hint of the costs. I was able to find the info quicker at here on AFF.

Called the ANZ call centre whom advised I obviously should have gone to the ANZ home page>>credit cards>> personal>>ANZ Frequent Flyer for the terms and conditions.

At 12,000 for $95 I don't think it is good value with the mlimited amount of Qantas travel I'm doing at the moment.

Danger said:
I've signed up. For me, $95 for a business upgrade from east coast to west coast is cheap.

Have to agree with that. BTW, I signed up for one when it was 18,000.

Did my application Sunday at 4.30pm.

Card and welcome pack arrived Wednesday 9am.

Whoa!

I just got it for the points. Did my first purchase this morning - will let you know when I get my points.

It seems that the 12,000 points expired at the end of April and now the current offer is 10,000 points :(

I certainly take the point about them hiding the annual fee - very poor. From what I read, their "rewards" fee ($55pa) is per card too. Ouch.

i just got this card in the mail but im not a qantas ff member so do i have to join to get points? how does it work? i have to pay the 95 fee for anz then pay to join the qantas club?

You do need to join Qantas Frequent Flyer to get those points.

Qantas club membership costs over $600 to join for a year but does come with enrolment to QFF included.

You could simply join QFF directly for $87.50 IIRC, or if you have a non Oz/NZ mailing adress, then nothing.

no i do have an oz mailing address.. so if i join for 87.50 is it worth it? i dont spend much on the credit card.. and how long is the QFF membership for? so if i dont join QFF then = no points? so the points from the credit card show up on the QFF site if theyre linked or something?

Benko said:
no i do have an oz mailing address.. so if i join for 87.50 is it worth it?
I think QFF joining fee is only $85!

Why not investigate signing up for the Earth or Earth+ credit cards. Late last year they offered fee membership of QFF and first year fee free for the credit card. I have not looked at any recent promotions.

Benko said:
i dont spend much on the credit card.. and how long is the QFF membership for?
For life! That is for the life of the QFF program.

Benko said:
so if i dont join QFF then = no points?
Correct.

Benko said:
so the points from the credit card show up on the QFF site if theyre linked or something?
Don't know about the ANZ card but Qantas Amex premium card points appear as 2 lines on my QFF activity page. One line is for for bunus QF spend and second line is for total monthly spending * 1.25 .

Code:
10 APR 07     QANTAS AMEX PREMIUM CARD     -     -     -      224
10 APR 07     QANTAS AMEX PREMIUM CARD     -     -     -     1235

Work out you benefits very carefully. You mention that you don't spend a great deal on credit cards, so the points balance is not going to grow quickly. Compare with some business people who can spend tens of thousands of dollars a week on their credit card and seek limits uo to $100K.

And keep in mind that the QF Frequent Flyer program has two purposes:
  • Retain loyalty to the Qantas brand for people flying a lot
  • Make money for Qantas by selling points to partners such as Credit Card providers
And it sounds like you will fall into the second category. Note that there is not necessarily anything in it for you. You will earn points, but then need to be able to redeem those points for something useful. So think now about what you plan to achieve from your points.

As someone who is not a high status QF FF member (at least Gold and preferably Platinum) you will be unlikely to be able to use your points for flight upgrades to business or first class. So you are limited to using them for award flights. Unless you earn a significant number of FF points, you will be limited to domestic flight awards. Note that Qantas make the FF members pay all the surcharges and taxes (including QF's fuel surcharges) when then redeem FF points for award flights. So you have to weigh up the value of using FF points for an Australian domestic flight and paying the fuel surcharges and taxes, verses just buying a cheap fare when they have a sale (seems like almost every week at the moment).

thanks for all the info!.. dont think ill activate the card.. might just get an anz first then

comphelp said:
It seems that the 12,000 points expired at the end of April and now the current offer is 10,000 points :(
Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but for those who are interested, the 12,000 point offer is back on the table at the anz.com/12000points web site, which expires on 10 July 2007. You must make a purchase on the card by 10 August 2007 to be eligible.

mick said:
Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but for those who are interested, the 12,000 point offer is back on the table at the anz.com/12000points web site, which expires on 10 July 2007. You must make a purchase on the card by 10 August 2007 to be eligible.
Arrrrggghhhh. Typical! Just after I got my card for 10,000 points.

Thanks for the heads up though :)

Those ANZ 10K ads keep appearing on websites, just as much as the Amex ones.

And yet every time I see an ANZ one, it just reaffirms that it's one of the most uncompetitive cards on the market, for me personally at least.

- Annual fee even for 1st year
- Rewards program fee for supp cardholders
- Points limit
- 44 days interest free

The only person I know who has an ANZ card is a staff member.

As far as Qantas FF cards, I think this has to be the worst deal of them all! 1 point per dollar spent only up to $1,500 and $2,500 for the gold is an absolute joke! And the annual fee/rewards fee combo is ridiculous as well.

Cyberdog100 said:
As far as Qantas FF cards, I think this has to be the worst deal of them all! 1 point per dollar spent only up to $1,500 and $2,500 for the gold is an absolute joke! And the annual fee/rewards fee combo is ridiculous as well.

If it was not for the limit it would be a good card i think.
Most years i have not paid a fee so that makes a bit nicer :)
Its one of my 2 cards, the other being Amex credit card.

E

Cyberdog100 said:

From memory it was split out as they can charge GST on the rewards fee, but if it is bundled in with the annual fee they cannot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back