- Apr 2, 2011
- LT Gold
- My Map
Good luck with whatever you decide. My TA won't deal with Scenic any more because of the way they deal with problems. On the Seabourn FB some Americans adamant they're doing a Caribbean cruise in December and getting antsy when people suggest it may not go aheadOh learned cruisers, lend me your ears (eyes?)
My first cruising experience keeps getting pushed back. First my Ruby Princess Alaska trip was canned (still waiting for refund, but that's another story). Now, it is our 'trip of a lifetime' Antarctica cruise January 2021 on Scenic.
Now we all know this cruise will not be going ahead, or even if it is by some small miracle, there's basically no chance I'll be able to attend as an Australian. I have only paid a deposit, but final payment is due on Wednesday. Scenic have given 3 options:
1/ Cancel 'voluntarily', meaning $6.5k will be held as future cruise credit, $5.4k would be refunded and we would lose $500 in fees.
2/ Pay in full Wednesday then be at the mercy of their refund policy when they do cancel, tying up $60k of our money.
3/ Rebook for a years time but $5k more expensive.
Honestly they all suck. I'm leaning towards 1 - but that's a huge chunk of money to be sitting as future cruise credit which I don't immediately have other plans for. 2, well that sounds like a recipe for a $60k loss rather than $6k. Quite the gamble. 3 I hate on principle with the price rise, plus honestly surely there's a good chance they'll go bankrupt before then.
Any sage advice from seasoned cruisers?