Confidential Virgin Blue management letter leaked | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Confidential Virgin Blue management letter leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

one9

Active Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2005
Messages
607
I hope employees who illegally distribute confidential information are punished accordingly.
 

oz_mark

Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
18,529
Flights
My Map
I read this and thought 'so what'. If they want to schedule flight crew in a way that allows them to fly an extra shift, so what?
 

SeaWolf

Established Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2007
Messages
1,143
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Platinum
I'm inclined to agree, so what? It's not uncommon for businesses that are short-staffed or who are otherwise having difficulties filling rosters to ask staff if anyone is interested in a few extra shifts.

As for leaking confidential info, I actually find regular leaks to be a bit reassuring, it's how I know the US military isn't keeping aliens in the basement at Roswell.
 

HardieBoys

Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2003
Messages
411
Fundamentally, getting more seats at fewer dollars is what makes an airline more profitable for managemenet and shareholders. It may make the flight less comfortable for passengers, so it depends on your viewpoint.

The QF Dash-8 500s seat 72 passengers (as opposed to 50 on a Dash-8 300), but as Qantaslink staff have agreed to work a 1:36 ratio, they can fly 72 paxes with 2 crew and 2 tech crew. With up to 44% more than a full Dash-8 300.
 

The Hammer

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2006
Messages
19
HardieBoys said:
The QF Dash-8 500s seat 72 passengers (as opposed to 50 on a Dash-8 300), but as Qantaslink staff have agreed to work a 1:36 ratio, they can fly 72 paxes with 2 crew and 2 tech crew. With up to 44% more than a full Dash-8 300.
What all of that has to do with a leaked letter from Virgin Blue is beyond my comprehension.
Actually the accepted ratio is 1 F/A per 50 pax in most low cost airlines, so I still don't understand the point you were trying to make, HardieBoys.

oz_mark said:
I read this and thought 'so what'. If they want to schedule flight crew in a way that allows them to fly an extra shift, so what?
I understand that VB are at a stalled point in the EBA renewal with their pilots, and as they can't contractually roster pilots to work on their Grey Day, this circumvents that agreement by asking pilots to voluntarily make themselves definitely available.
 

straitman

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Apr 27, 2003
Messages
17,736
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
The Hammer said:
What all of that has to do with a leaked letter from Virgin Blue is beyond my comprehension.
Actually the accepted ratio is 1 F/A per 50 pax in most low cost airlines, so I still don't understand the point you were trying to make, HardieBoys.
This is relevent to the airline bottom line which would interest a lot of people here. When you've been on the forum a bit longer you'll realise that these forums frequently wander on and off topic. re the 1:50 ratio comments, I believe the allowable/agreed ratio (with CASA) is lower than that. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The Hammer said:
I understand that VB are at a stalled point in the EBA renewal with their pilots, and as they can't contractually roster pilots to work on their Grey Day, this circumvents that agreement by asking pilots to voluntarily make themselves definitely available.
Stikes me as a good management option, resulting in a win, win for all who wish to partake. :D
 
Get paid up to 25% in real cash from your everyday purchases from leading companies such as Virgin Australia, Booking.com, Woolworths, Coles, Apple, Microsoft and much more. Free to join and no catches!

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

bravoecho1

Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2004
Messages
221
This is understandable given the recent turnover of DJ crew. My view is that if you want to work its there - no harm no foul.

Reminds me of the old days at CX when a typhoon used to go through Asia and throw their rosters out of wack. Crew would go to Kai Tak and sit in uniform and work if needed on their days off. Certainly wouldn't happen now.
 

Commuter

Active Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2006
Messages
793
straitman said:
This is relevent to the airline bottom line which would interest a lot of people here. When you've been on the forum a bit longer you'll realise that these forums frequently wander on and off topic. re the 1:50 ratio comments, I believe the allowable/agreed ratio (with CASA) is lower than that. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
1:36 is the 'normal' CASA minimum requirement. 1:50 is the normal minimum in most other countries.
 

straitman

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Apr 27, 2003
Messages
17,736
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Commuter said:
1:36 is the 'normal' CASA minimum requirement. 1:50 is the normal minimum in most other countries.
Thanks Commuter.

My tired old memory was thinking along the lines of 1:38/39 so I was close :!:
 

alien

Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2002
Messages
281
Flights
My Map
yes a good management option. At the edn of the day they are calling for volunteers and if none wants to then thats their choise.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
86,292
Messages
2,079,004
Members
53,689
Latest member
GILLSPILL
Top