Computer Check-in System Only "BAD" Seats | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Computer Check-in System Only "BAD" Seats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amerrican

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2006
Messages
28
I've now used the DJ "computer" check-in system to print my boarding pass on three occasions.

On all three occasions, the sytem would only let me pick a seat in zone 2 or 3 (essentially row 12 and greater). And despite my Velocity preference, was assigning me a window seat instead of the aisle.

System would NOT allow selection of any Zone 1 seat!

On all three occasions I then had to use the check-in desk to get a reassignment further forward.

Written complaint to DJ confirmed this "feature" of the system.

This would seem to defeat completely the attempt at cost-reduction by Virgin Blue. I would imagine the profile of the most frequent users of this system would be the most frequent travelers, who would generally NOT want seats in the rear of the plane.

They would then avail themselves of the check-in counter, tying up an agent even after using the web service.

Dumb, Virgin, Dumb.
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,872
Amerrican said:
I've now used the DJ "computer" check-in system to print my boarding pass on three occasions.

On all three occasions, the sytem would only let me pick a seat in zone 2 or 3 (essentially row 12 and greater). And despite my Velocity preference, was assigning me a window seat instead of the aisle.

System would NOT allow selection of any Zone 1 seat!

On all three occasions I then had to use the check-in desk to get a reassignment further forward.

Written complaint to DJ confirmed this "feature" of the system.
I've noticed the lack of zone 1 seating myself with OLCI and wondered why. Thanks for posting the answer. :)

It hasn't really bothered me though. Assuming that you want forward cabin seating so that you can get off quicker at the destination, simply do as I do - select a seat in row 30 right at the back. DJ boards from both doors so it's just the same as sitting at the front.

If you want extra leg room and be close to a door, then your only choice is to pay the extra $30.00 and sit in Blue Zone seating 1A/1B/1C. However the best blue-zone seating is row 15 if you want to use a tray table and not be bothered by people queueing for the loo and frequent trolley traffic. But row 15 is last off the plane.

I like row 30 and the opportunity for a tarmac walk. :D
 

openseat

Active Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2006
Messages
652
I assume you are talking about Web check-in.

I recently received a letter from Virgin Blue about this problem (I had originally written to commend a crew's action dealing with a passenger who had a medical emergency). They said that it is a weight and balance issue with the plane.
I have noticed most recently that if you check in closer to the flight time that the seats open up in the first zone. It may be worthwhile checking in with only a few hours to go to get closer to the front.
 

Amerrican

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2006
Messages
28
openseat said:
I assume you are talking about Web check-in.

I recently received a letter from Virgin Blue about this problem They said that it is a weight and balance issue with the plane.
I got the same response too, and that's nonsense.

None of these 737's fly anywhere near gross weight, even on longhaul flights to Perth. That's because they carry virtually no freight (I don't even believe they have container doors; something that the new freight company owners are likely to change).

It sounds like a reasonable explanation to your average punter, but it's a flat out lie that apparently has become "the company line" on this issue.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
I thought that the front zone was initially made available for those of the expensive fares

Dave
 

openseat

Active Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2006
Messages
652
Amerrican said:
I got the same response too, and that's nonsense.

None of these 737's fly anywhere near gross weight, even on longhaul flights to Perth. That's because they carry virtually no freight (I don't even believe they have container doors; something that the new freight company owners are likely to change).

It sounds like a reasonable explanation to your average punter, but it's a flat out lie that apparently has become "the company line" on this issue.

I'm no aircraft engineer, but I thought that balance was precisely the issue in a lightly loaded aircraft, certainly that is what happens in flying in a Twin Otter!
 

ColinP

Member
Joined
May 1, 2006
Messages
459
openseat said:
I'm no aircraft engineer, but I thought that balance was precisely the issue in a lightly loaded aircraft, certainly that is what happens in flying in a Twin Otter!
I agree. There was a thread recently about crash 8s having the front section empty. It's nothing to do with gross weight. It's to do with balance and the C.G. position.
On 2 occasions out of 5 recently with DJ, I have been able to select seats in rows 2-5 with OLCI. On the other occasions row 10 forward was not available.
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,872
Amerrican said:
None of these 737's fly anywhere near gross weight, even on longhaul flights to Perth. That's because they carry virtually no freight (I don't even believe they have container doors; something that the new freight company owners are likely to change).
Interesting point. Do 737's ever have container doors? I thought I'd read somewhere that this aircraft didn't and had to be hand-loaded. Perhaps someone who knows could advise?
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,269
Flights
My Map
Yada Yada said:
Interesting point. Do 737's ever have container doors? I thought I'd read somewhere that this aircraft didn't and had to be hand-loaded. Perhaps someone who knows could advise?
QF 737's cary plenty of cargo aside from checked luggage.

Hand loading is the deal; however, they have a sort of internal conveyer belt known to the handlers as a 'magic carpet'. Their cross section is somehting like this "\_/" and they move the bags along the body of the fuselage.
 

ksthommo

Active Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2004
Messages
690
I use webcheck in often, I've been seated in rows 2 or 3 a few times, but mostly row 12 or greater. When you use webcheck if you have been allocated row 12 or greater, you don't get an option to move to rows 2 to 11 if you try to select another seat. Emailed Virgin Blue highlighting this and the reply I got was along the lines of emergency exits, didn't bother following it up.
 

N860CR

AFF Supporter
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
3,315
All the times I've used Web-checkin i've been able to select row 2. When using the checkin kiosk at the airport I can usually manage a seat up towards the front (although as more people have checked in by this stage it is a little harder). Certainly have never been in the situation where only the back of the plane is available.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
Quick check for a recent Beech 1900D flight offered me a "choice" of 1 specific seat only despite checking in early! Flight was full. I've had other flights on the puddlejumpers where get a choice of only 2 or 3 seats due to balance issues.
 

ksthommo

Active Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2004
Messages
690
Got a seat up the front for tomorrows flight, no window seats were available throughout the aircraft.
 

Attachments

Commuter

Active Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2006
Messages
793
Yada Yada said:
Assuming that you want forward cabin seating so that you can get off quicker at the destination, simply do as I do - select a seat in row 30 right at the back. DJ boards from both doors so it's just the same as sitting at the front.
I got caught out doing that the other day. I assumed they'd disembark from the rear as well, and they didn't. I had a seat right down the back :D:D Trust me to miss out on it!

As for the check-in... I think some check-in staff need to be either educated or stop talking rubbish.

When I asked for a seat change because they assigned me a seat I didn't like, she said "I can't change it. Because the plane is quite full, we have to let the computer decide where people sit or the plane goes out of balance". I almost laughed and thought about explaining that it was utter rubbish, but I chose not to argue. No point in arguing with them :mad::mad:. Annoying at any rate, though.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Yada Yada said:
It hasn't really bothered me though. Assuming that you want forward cabin seating so that you can get off quicker at the destination, simply do as I do - select a seat in row 30 right at the back. DJ boards from both doors so it's just the same as sitting at the front.
If I flew DJ, I'd want the forward half of the plane since the legroom is better ( I am reliably informed )

Dave
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,872
Dave Noble said:
If I flew DJ, I'd want the forward half of the plane since the legroom is better ( I am reliably informed )
Hmmm... I've sat in many different rows on DJ and have not noticed any difference at all, except of course for the front row and exit rows. :confused:

Maybe the cleaners tidy up the seat-back pockets up front better than they do down the back! ;)
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,105
Yada Yada said:
Maybe the cleaners tidy up the seat-back pockets up front better than they do down the back! ;)
LOL. The cleaners do tidy up the front of the cabin better because they get very tired by the time they get to the back of the cabin so use less effort.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,792
Flights
My Map
Dave Noble said:
If I flew DJ, I'd want the forward half of the plane since the legroom is better ( I am reliably informed )

Dave
Indeed, at least 1 inch extra for all seats forward of the exit row.
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,872
NM said:
Indeed, at least 1 inch extra for all seats forward of the exit row.
NM - where did you get this information? I haven't seen it anywhere on the DJ website.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
81,270
Messages
1,874,160
Members
49,131
Latest member
jebc
Top