Question - Complimentary Alcohol for 7pm Departing Flight | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Question Complimentary Alcohol for 7pm Departing Flight

James Silber

Hi everyone,

I know that VA has the complimentary alcohol policy for flights departing between 5-7pm Mon-Fri.

I am flying VA752 in a couple of weeks and just wanted to know is that still eligible for the complementary alcohol deal? It is scheduled to take off at 7pm on the dot, so if anyone has any experience with a 7pm departing domestic flight on VA would love to hear it.

Cheers

Harthagan

It's just one complimentary drink, seems like you are thinking its more than that?

Stealthflyer

Virgin
Platinum
Hi everyone,

I know that VA has the complimentary alcohol policy for flights departing between 5-7pm Mon-Fri.

I am flying VA752 in a couple of weeks and just wanted to know is that still eligible for the complementary alcohol deal? It is scheduled to take off at 7pm on the dot, so if anyone has any experience with a 7pm departing domestic flight on VA would love to hear it.

Cheers
Yep Mon-Fri. But you can’t choose just anything from the menu. The beer options are pretty gross - I think it was Carlton Draught or something last time I flew. I remember thinking last time that I’d rather just buy a tastier beer off the menu.

thatsthatmattressman

Me too especially for International flights.

Flying MEA carriers during Ramadan is simply not possible for my liver. I would pose a health risk on the plane.

I've made 1,000s of flight decisions at least partly based on it. Over to QF that is.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Ade

esquire

Yep Mon-Fri. But you can’t choose just anything from the menu. The beer options are pretty gross - I think it was Carlton Draught or something last time I flew. I remember thinking last time that I’d rather just buy a tastier beer off the menu.
With wine might as well come out of a box too... actually would probably be better than what they serve now anyway. Handed the half full cheap plastic cup back to them last time ..

Saab34

Established Member
Flights
My Map
From memory it’s just a half filled cup of what appears 100ml of drink. Wouldn’t be costing them too much compared to handing out small bottles to everyone.

• Wow
Reactions: DC3

DC3

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
From memory it’s just a half filled cup of what appears 100ml of drink. Wouldn’t be costing them too much compared to handing out small bottles to everyone.
I don’t believe that I would be choosing my flight based solely on that offering.

Austman

Established Member
I don’t believe that I would be choosing my flight based solely on that offering.

Neither would I.

But the MON-FRI after 4pm offerings on QF domestic main-line Y-class can actually be pretty good. For sure it's complimentary wine (in 187ml bottles) and beer (in cans) and soft drinks, all with refills. And at certain times a hot "meal". Although the "meal" will be in a box, so an awful presentation, it can sometimes be not too bad.

It's a factor.

Last edited:

DC3

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
... But the MON-FRI after 4pm offerings on QF domestic main-line Y-class can actually be pretty good. For sure it's complimentaty wine (in 187ml bottles) and beer (in cans) and soft drinks, all with refills. And at certain times a hot "meal" ...
Yes, the QF offering would seem to be much better than the VA (dinner alcohol) situation. VA seems rather frugal with alcohol anyway.

Harthagan

Not to mention the fact that none of the virgin lounges even stock a full bar, it's just beer and wine.

Kind of appalling when u consider it in the context of what the price is for their "flagship" transcontinental J product. Their lounges let them down big time, it's a tad annoying :(

BAM1748

Not to mention the fact that none of the virgin lounges even stock a full bar, it's just beer and wine.

Kind of appalling when u consider it in the context of what the price is for their "flagship" transcontinental J product. Their lounges let them down big time, it's a tad annoying :(
I think it will only become worse as virgin go back to their roots.

ozstamps

Virgin
Platinum
On a similar discussion we were booked on a 6.30pm flight which was delayed and took off at more like 7.30pm.

Asked for a wine and was told that will be $10 or whatever the cost was.

Pointed out THEIR flight delay was not of my making, and she stood firm. She said "Sir do you wish to PURCHASE the wines or not?"

Noted her name down and fully meant to email it in on principle, but life is too short. We were both Plats in row 3, and guy next to us was too, and he too was pretty peeved at such nickel and diming.

I am sure it is not policy.

Last edited:

Stealthflyer

Virgin
Platinum
On a similar discussion we were booked on a 6.30pm flight which was delayed and took off at more like 7.30pm.

Asked for a wine and was told that will be $10 or whatever the cost was.

Pointed out THEIR flight delay was not of my making, and she stood firm. She said "Sir do you wish to PURCHASE a wine or not"

Noted her name down and fully meant to email it in on principle, but life is too short. We were both Plats in row 3, and guy next to us was too, and he too was pretty peeved at such nickel and diming.
That’s pretty rough. Judging from this thread, the happy hour is factored into booking decisions. The promotion should be honoured regardless of the take off time. In fact, if it’s delayed, maybe it should be doubly so!

AFF on Air Podcast

• Indian Pacific & Other Epic Train Journeys – AIR027
    Sat, 11 Jan 2020 02:31:00 AEDT
      In this episode, we take a brief detour from the aviation discussion to talk about train travel! There's something nice - perhaps even romantic - about long-distance train ...
  • Status Runs – AIR026
    Sat, 14 Dec 2019 07:15:21 AEDT
      If you're a little bit short of the next airline status tier, a status run can get you over the line. In this episode, learn about the best status runs with Virgin Austral ...
  • British Airways Executive Club – AIR025
    Sat, 30 Nov 2019 22:53:26 AEDT
      Many Australians join Qantas Frequent Flyer by default. But even if you fly with Qantas regularly, you could benefit by using the British Airways Executive Club frequent f ...
  • Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...
  • HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mmenzel