Claims Qantas is planning to ditch life rafts from some flights to save money

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by Reggie, May 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Reggie

Reggie Established Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Manchester
    South Australian Independent Senator Nick Xenophon claims Qantas is planning to ditch life rafts from some flights to save money.

Qantas considering ditching life rafts: claim

Xenophon said he had been approached by pilots and cabin crew who alerted him to the “hare-brained” scheme to remove rafts from Boeing 737s that do not travel more than 400 nautical miles off the coast.“If a plane has to ditch off shore, every minute counts, and the savings are a joke,” Xenophon told News Corp. “It might be a million a year in fuel, but they’re burning up $4 million a month with planes on tarmacs (due to issues with their Asian ventures).”
    He said that while the removal of the rafts would be within the regulations “people fly Qantas because it goes above and beyond the minimum regulatory requirements. That’s brand Qantas”.

2. markis10

markis10 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD
    For balance here is the QF response:

• No decisions have been made regarding changes to on-board equipment.
    • The aviation industry is one of the most highly regulated industries in the world.
    • Qantas would not implement any change that would compromise safety or CASA’s strict standards.
    • Any suggestion that we would compromise safety is wrong and scaremongering.

Qantas responds to reports on B737 life rafts

• Like Like x 2
  3. Fruitcake

Fruitcake Established Member

Feb 22, 2011
    #3 Fruitcake, May 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
    If the Senator would like to dictate who flies Qantas, why they fly Qantas, where Qantas flies, and the equipment they carry, then he should buy Qantas. When it's his airline, he can get it to do what he wants and more important take financial responsibility for his actions.

Alternatively, if he thinks the law is wrong, then keep a level playing field and propose changes to the law that affect all carriers.

Did the Senator object to QF's application for a waiver from the 1:37 FA/Pax ratio for its 737s?

• Like Like x 8
  4. under the radar

under the radar Established Member

Apr 8, 2010
    here we go again... the 'media'/uninformed/uneducated 'going off half cocked' ...grrrrrrrrrr.. (looking forward to the 'pages' of 'comments' on here!! :D)

5. markis10

markis10 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD
    I think your selling our members a little short, given the source of the comments.

6. under the radar

under the radar Established Member

Apr 8, 2010
    #6 under the radar, May 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
    I will be very happy to be proven wrong :) (I already have a fair idea whose posts will be fact driven/sensible...and whose will not)...
    an indication will be through my 'likes' ;)

7. Ansett

Ansett Established Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Melbourne
    Whilst I am no expert my concern would be along the lines of what would happen if they had to ditch over the sea or immediately after take off from say Sydney where departures are often out over the sea how would passengers escape? I personally would feel safer on an airline that has as much safety equipment as possible even if not a formal requirement.

8. mrdctau

mrdctau Intern

Feb 3, 2014
    I can't much see the point of life rafts, particularly on aeroplanes that don't fly over the open seas. Has anyone ever been saved by one?

9. Boris spatsky

Boris spatsky Established Member

Oct 8, 2010
    They would wear lifejackets and use the escape slides that double as rafts. I would suggest it is only the excess ones in the roof that would be removed.

10. MarcB

MarcB Active Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Brisbane, Queensland
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    There are plenty of aircraft in plenty of countries that don't even have life vests as standard equipment. On many AA flights, the seat cushions double as flotation devices.

11. Ansett

Ansett Established Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Melbourne
    That may well be the case but wouldn't that mean there may not be sufficient capacity in addition this would limit the aircraft to certain routes only which could impact operations in the event of an aircraft going US?

I am not for a moment suggesting it is right or wrong but do have concerns.

Can anyone advise what VA do in terms of life rafts on the 737's?

12. SeatBackForward

SeatBackForward Established Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    So, they didn't deny it either.

13. Boris spatsky

Boris spatsky Established Member

Oct 8, 2010
    As stated, the removal would be required to still meet the capacity requirements of the civil aviation regulations.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mwenenzi

Mwenenzi Established Member

May 17, 2006
    MEL
    Do not ask sensible questions!!

Most of us realise that what is OK for VA and other airlines is not OK for QF according to the QF unions, Syd radio announcers and the likes of some Senators from South Australia. Remind me again what primary vote was for all the senators for in the last elections. One post July senator got 0.51% and has a seat

15. Fruitcake

Fruitcake Established Member

Feb 22, 2011
    My understanding (based only on observation) is that VA has some aircraft equipped with rafts primarily to operate VA short haul international services. These turn up domestically from time to time (I flew in one on Monday BNE-SYD). The pre-recorded safety briefing is extended a little to note the presence of the rafts and that the crew may ask for your assistance in getting them to the exit.

CAO 20.11 is the applicable legislation:
    Civil Aviation Order 20.11 - Emergency & life saving equipment & passenger control in emergencies (02/12/2004)

VA and QF's entire domestic fleet has two turbine engines so the applicable standard is 120 minutes / 400mi. I don't think that would be a problem on any route except those to PER on occasions where optimal winds might dictate a far southern route over the Bight.

Also, if you did suffer a double engine failure at cruising altitude 400mi from land the aircraft would be able to glide ~100mi.

16. JohnPhelan

JohnPhelan Established Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Brisbane
    So these rafts are stored in the roof? Where? How do they get them down/out in an emergency?

17. markis10

markis10 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD
    • Like Like x 1
  18. MEL_Traveller

MEL_Traveller Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2005
    Melbourne, AU
    Qantas considering removing life-rafts from aircraft to save money

Qantas considers removing life rafts to save fuel

Can qantas please explain how, if safety is their number one priority, and nothing will ever undermine that (if we believe Qantas spin) - how can cost savings even be considered over an issue of safety?

19. lovestotravel

lovestotravel Senior Member

Sep 18, 2008
    As long as QF is operating within the appropriate rules then I couldn't' care less!

Just more standard QF bashing

• Like Like x 6