Citibank Readicredit - Overseas Cash Advances

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnK

Veteran Member
As some of you may already know during my last overseas trip the cleaning staff at the hotel I was staying borrowed my wallet and $500. I was lucky that was all they borrowed and were kind enough to return my wallet with the remainder of my spending money. In the future I will be staying in hotels with in room safes even though this is no guarantee either.

I still want to take some cash with me but will be relying mostly on ATM's. Most credit cards charge an ATM use fee and a foreign exchange fee. This becomes expensive but not as expensive as the $500 it cost me last trip. NM posted some details on Citibank Readicredit 16 months ago stating no foreign exchange fees or ATM fees. NM also mentioned that this card may not be accepted at all ATM's.

I have had this card for several years now and tried using it in Thailand in 2003/2004 without success. I tried 2 or 3 ATM's and then gave up. Didn't bother reporting the problem as I had backup cards that I could use. I called Citibank the other day to confirm use of card overseas and they assured me that I should be able to use this card overseas but they have no history of my attempted use 3 years ago. They did say that I could call them while I am overseas if I have any problems.

Do people have any history using this card in Thailand recently? Is it accepted at all ATM's? I will have back-up cards but the fees can be ridiculous especially if I want to adopt my new policy of not keeping large amounts of cash on me at any time even in foreign currency.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

I would be hesitant to only rely on a citibank card. When I use citibank card overseas, my first withdrawl usually works, sometimes my second withdrawal works, then my card is blocked.

I need to then ring up Citibank to get the card unblocked.

This happened on about three seperate trips.

oz_mark said:
I don't specifically have experience at usining it in Thailand, but you should be able to use it at any ATM displaying the Plus symbol (Visa's network).
Thanks for that information. Interesting that only Kasikornbank and Bank of Ayuthaya accept Visa Plus unless the information provided on the website is not accurate. These are 2 banks I did not try in 2003/2004.

one9 said:
I would be hesitant to only rely on a citibank card. When I use citibank card overseas, my first withdrawl usually works, sometimes my second withdrawal works, then my card is blocked.
I will also have a Visa and Mastercard with me but these will only be used in an emergency, like if the Citibank card gets swallowed by ATM.

A call back to Citibank in Australia to unblock card could be cheaper than the $10 charge for every use of ATM overseas plus a foreign currency exchange fee charged by Commonwealth Bank.

Hmm...

I have been using Redicredit to get local cash O/S for a year now (based on NM's advice) and had no problems. These withdrals in Singapore, Hong Kong, LOTFAP, Dubai, Columbo & NZ.

I'll be in Bangkok in 10 days and have been doing some research; CityBank has a reasonable presence there (Citibank - Thailand).

Oh, and good news, CitiBank still have no fees for these withdrawals from a redi-credit account. (As long as it is not a visa)

Last edited:
Be aware that Citibank has been pushing Readycredit card users to "enhance" their card to have it linked to Visa. This will increase the available locations it can be used, but will also bring a new fee structure (which they neglect to make clear with the offer to "enhance").

I have not use it in Thailand, but have used it in Malaysia, UK, Germany, France and USA without problems. In Malaysia, the Maybank ATMs will accept the card. Some other ATMs don't in Malaysia, but Maybank is by far the largest number of ATMs. In Europe and USA I have not found an ATM that won't accept he card.

one9 said:

I need to then ring up Citibank to get the card unblocked.

This happened on about three seperate trips.
I circumvent this problem by ringing my banks whose cards I will be using overseas and tell them when I'm leaving and returning to Australia - and the countries I'll be visiting. They place notes on your account to prevent a trigger-happy droid from blocking your cards.

Since engaging in this practise, I've never had my cards blocked unnecessarily. You might think it's a right royal pain to do this everytime you go overseas, but believe me, having your card blocked at a time of need whilst in a foreign land is no fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back