Citibank Gold Business Card vs Citibank Plat Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAX_1

The Gold Business cards earns 1.25 rewards per $1 spend that can be converted to QFF points at 1 for1 with a max points earn of 60000 points (or is it 80000 points).Plat card earns 1 point per $1 with a max earn of about 120000 points.Can anyone give me reasons for using one over the other?

I've got the Citibusiness card and quite happy with it. You go thru the Platinum Call Centre, and the main advantage is you can use your reward points for QFF, SIA, Velocity where on the Platinum card you either lock into QFF or don't.

Also, if you wont spend more than 60K a year on the card then there's not much point going for the platinum card, except that the free travel insurance is a bit less restrictive in regards to using frequent flyer points for the booking.

The standard gold card rate is 1 => 0.6pts though. The OP's post seems to imply that the tx rate on the Biz Gold is 1:1...?

CitiBusiness Card is not a Standard Gold card.
Here is a copy from the T&C for the Business card

"A Citi Credit Cardholder must be a member of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program to redeem reward points for Qantas Frequent Flyer (QFF) points. A joining fee applies. Membership of the QFF program is subject to Qantas Frequent Flyer Terms and Conditions. CitiBusiness Gold Cardholders can redeem Reward points at a rate of 1 Reward point for 1 QFF point. All redemption requests must be in blocks of 10,000 Reward points."

Since the CitiBusiness card earns 1.25 Reward points per $1 , when converted, 1.25 Reward points become 1.25 QFF points.

It's all getting confusing with all the changes out in CC land.

It's all getting confusing with all the changes out in CC land.

Not getting any easier either. I have a CC Gold card mainly to take advantage of a balance transfer offer (why not pay of the mortgage at 7% when you can get a CC balance transfer offer at 2.99% so did that for $13.5K). Have now paid 1/2 that off (expires late July) and was thinking of applying for the Plat 60K points offer and then cancelling the Gold card.

But now have a offer of CitiBusiness free with the gold card and 10K bonus, decisions decisions.

Think I will still apply for the Plat to get the 60K bonus, once accepted also activate the Gold for the 10K bonus, cancel the normal Gold then in mid-July suggest I'd rather have the Citibusiness Gold linked to the Plat free and if not I'll cancel (10K bouns should be through by then). Who knows if it is will work but would be worth it for 70K points!

If they let me do this may end up with both the Citibusienss gold and the plat card! If not well I have got lots of free points in the meantime.

I thought I'd post here rather than start a new thread.

There has been much written about the Woolworths Everyday Rewards Credit Card, and I have to say I have taken it up and am pretty happy with it. 16,000 points sign up and 1:1 unlimited points earn.

I have also seen the odd comment about the CitiBusiness Gold Card, and it's 1.25 points per dollar spent earn. This seems to be the best Visa/MasterCard earn ratio out there. (Am I missing any others?)

In this thread there is reference to a 60,000 or 80,000 points cap. I haven't gone through the T&C's to find that, mainly because I won't be anywhere near it.

As a QFF I see this as the best accompaniment to my Amex Plat Charge card, and 40,000 points sign up seems half decent for the $149 fee.

Am I missing something obvious?

As a QFF I see this as the best accompaniment to my Amex Plat Charge card, and 40,000 points sign up seems half decent for the $149 fee.

Am I missing something obvious?
You are missing nothing my friend - you are on the money.

Points capped at 80,000pts/annum - at 1.25pt:$1 spend = $64,000 annual spend before you stop earning pts.

Everybody's circumstances are different - the WWEDR card also earns bonus pts and if you pay WW with AMEX every $1 over $30 you spend each purchase will actually earn you 2.5 pts:$1 PLUS any bonus that might be applicable.

We all have different spend patterns - we need to do the maths to determine which card will maximise our points earn - it does keep you on your toes.

You are missing nothing my friend - you are on the money.

Points capped at 80,000pts/annum - at 1.25pt:$1 spend = $64,000 annual spend before you stop earning pts.

Everybody's circumstances are different - the WWEDR card also earns bonus pts and if you pay WW with AMEX every $1 over $30 you spend each purchase will actually earn you 2.5 pts:$1 PLUS any bonus that might be applicable.

We all have different spend patterns - we need to do the maths to determine which card will maximise our points earn - it does keep you on your toes.

Thanks for the response Cruiser Elite. I guess I was a little concerned because the majority of folk suggest the Woolworths Everyday Rewards Credit Card as a back up for Amex. Visa/Mastercard is only ever a back up for me so the expenditure tends to be relatively low. Citibank Business Gold will be better than the Woolworths credit card for me.

If I can get the fee waived on my Amex Ultimate Card I think I have found my perfect QFF combination.

Amex Plat Charge Card
Citibank Business Gold Visa
Amex Ultimate

Certainly does keep you on your toes!:)

Cheers

TH

I have also seen the odd comment about the CitiBusiness Gold Card, and it's 1.25 points per dollar spent earn. This seems to be the best Visa/MasterCard earn ratio out there. (Am I missing any others?)

Depends who you want to credit to. Emirates Citi card (mastercard) offers 1.5 points per $ but credits straight to skywards. $229 annual fee.

OT slightly but some members might be interested - I know Shintaro will.

Being self employed I was knocked back 3 times by Citi for Citi Plat card - then I received in mail invitation to take up CitiBusiness Gold Card - which I did - and will exhaust the 80,000pts earn inside 3 months - I intend to then cancel it or upgrade to Plat or Select.

Well I applied for the Suncorp Clear Options credit card with the 40,000 bonus pts - also a Citigroup Card - lo and behold received provisional approval overnight just require ID and last 2 tax assesments - go figure.

I use the CitiBusiness Gold as a back up to an ANZ QFF Plat; works well except for their call centre which is hopeless.

Also check out the Citibank Privileges dining offers ( whorthwhile if they are honoured).

JV

I cancelled my Citi Platinum card once I realised the advantages of the Citibusiness Gold visa - the annual fee is much cheaper and it earns at 1.25QFF per $. I use mine as a backup to my Amex cards. Occasionally you also see offers for Citi cards that make it convenient to have one.

The only downside to the card is that the annual points earn is capped at $64,000 = 80,000 QFF points and once you hit this limit you stop earning points at all. I can tell you this limit is strictly enforced. I am presently in the situation where I have used my $64,000 this year with a few months to go and so have stopped using this card entirely. I am thinking of asking Citi whether I can have two of these cards.

Hot off the presses - the points limit has just gone up to 250,000 according to a letter enclosed in my last statement !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, can you let me know where you saw the points cap increase please? Went to the Citi site to apply but couldn't find the cap, despite ploughing through the Terms and Conditions. Great news if it's for new applicants too, particularly while they are giving 40,000 points as a sign on bonus

Sorry I should have been clearer - the increase is for the Citibusiness Gold Card.

The points cap for that card will increase from 1 September from 80,000pa to 250,000pa.

It came with a letter in my August statement yesterday with a couple of other (minor looking) T&C changes. It makes this card even more attractive! The wording suggested to me that it was going to apply to existing and new accounts (not a targeted offer or anything).

Would suspect Citi just haven't updated their site yet?

Last edited:
That is excellent news and removes the only drawback to this card as a Visa backup to Amex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back