CitiBank Fee Waivers (Platinum Renewal Due)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJReplay

I grabbed a platinum card almost a year ago with no fee for the first year. Fee is due in a couple of weeks. My first call to the call centre asking about a fee waiver was met with a straight up no.

What's the form here - do I have to "do an amex" and ring up asking to cancel, or do CitiBank not offer fee waivers for new card holders?

I've only put about $80k on the card so far, so I'm probably not up there with their biggest users?

Failing getting a waiver, what's the next best bet - just find a "no fee for life link" and apply for a new card?

Cheers

BJ

They did offer me a $100 discount of the renewal fee, but I ended up closing the account anyway.

From past experience with Citibank, if you ring up wanting to cancel they will offer you something to get you to stay. If you let them know that the fee is the reason you are cancelling they will almost certainly offer to waive some or all of it.

Unbelievable!

So I rang again, did the "I'd like to cancel" bit, got put through to a customer relationship manager, who asked me why "I didn't ask for the fee to be reduced". I pointed out that I had, but had been point-blank refused.

Anyway, best she would do was no annual fee for the next year only and downgrade to Gold. I asked about the no fee for life card, and she said she couldn't do it - but suggested I apply, and "when that is approved", cancel the newly downgraded gold card and just keep the free for life card.

So, I've received my new downgraded gold card, and my application for a fee-free for life gold card has also been approved. Since there is a potential points cap, I'll keep both, and push through the bulk of the spending on the fee card. Then I'll ring up again in twelve months to cancel it before the fee is due, and go through the same process again to get the fee waived :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back