Citi Select - New Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

trippin_the_rift

Established Member
"Dear Trippin,

We are delighted to introduce an exceptional new world of benefits now available on your Citibank Select Credit card, and as a Select cardholder we are excited to present this to you before anyone else."

- One Complimentary hotel stay per year from a selection of over 50 premium hotels worldwide.
- Unlimited complimentary airport transfered when booking intl travel in biz/first through citibank travel.
- 5 points per $1 on international purchases.
- $500 Freestyle collection gift card whe booking luxury holiday over $10k through citibank travel.
- Unlimited Priority Pass with free guest.

Yeah got that too.. A few observations

- I guess they're rebranding Citibank Takeflight to Citibank Travel.
- The 5 points per $1 overseas is attractive
- Priority pass - I thought it was already unlimited
- Complimentary airport transfer - for up to 25 km ...

If I'm not mistaken, the change to Priority Pass is that you can now take a guest in for free. In the past guest entry was charged to your card.

If I'm not mistaken, the change to Priority Pass is that you can now take a guest in for free. In the past guest entry was charged to your card.

Hmmm don't think that's the case as I was able to bring a guest in no dramas

This is interesting as it narrows the gap between Citi's best card and Amex's plat and centurions and gives more basis for the argument that the latter are overpriced.

Hmmm don't think that's the case as I was able to bring a guest in no dramas

It's never a drama taking a guest in. It's just that normally a charge for USD27 will find its way to your credit card.

It's never a drama taking a guest in. It's just that normally a charge for USD27 will find its way to your credit card.

If you look here: Citi Select - Citibank Australia
The site doesn't look to have been updated with the new benefits but in the T&C
4. One complimentary Priority Pass membership for the primary card holder is a Special Feature of Citi Select. The primary card holder is entitled to unlimited visits to Priority Pass lounges and may bring one guest per visit. Any additional guests will be charged directly by the lounge. The membership is subject to the Priority Pass Conditions of Use available at Airport Lounge Access Worldwide | Priority Pass. Once you have activated your Citi Select card please allow up to 15 working days for your Priority Pass card to arrive in the mail.

So no, you don't get charged for bringing in 1 guest.

Does that mean its 2.5 QFF points per dollar for international spend?

Am I correct in believing 5 Citi Rewards points on eligible overseas purchases will convert to 3.33 Kris points under this new offer?

Had a look at recent international charges on my Select account and the card worked really well as far as exchange rates are concerned. I put several items on the card and the final cost was competitive with 28 degrees card so when you receive points bonuses Citi Select is really sweet.

Had a look at recent international charges on my Select account and the card worked really well as far as exchange rates are concerned. I put several items on the card and the final cost was competitive with 28 degrees card so when you receive points bonuses Citi Select is really sweet.

So despite the hefty fee, Select offers a better exchange rate and hence works out pretty close to 28 degrees overall?

Now all they have to do is change their travel insurance to what Amex Plat had before they "enhanced" it. I suspect that will really convert people from Amex. It will for me.

My credit purchases overseas have been with the Citi Select. To withdraw money I use the 28 degrees.

I'm good until October when Amex devalues points earned with ATO payments. Just before then, I'll look at Citi's Select card. How many points would I get with it for ATO payments?

I have CitiBusiness Gold card. To move to Select, would I have to give that up?

In an ideal world I would like to have a Citi 1.25 QF points per dollar 250k capped card as well as the Kris Flyer Select card. Instead i use EDR from Woolies and I don't want a capped card.
With Mrscove having the QF Select what it means is I have more Kris points and she has more QF points. To make it more equal we redeem off the biggest accounts first so that works ok.
The question on whether paying international bills on Select the last payment I did cost an extra $80 on $US3,762.50 compared with 28 Degrees. The extra points earn will neutralize that cost at 3.33 points per dollar to Kris.

I'm good until October when Amex devalues points earned with ATO payments. Just before then, I'll look at Citi's Select card. How many points would I get with it for ATO payments?

Same as any other domestic transaction - 2 CitiRewards points (=1.33 KrisFlyer points, =1.33 Velocity points, =1 AsiaMile) per $1 spent. Definitely the cheapest way to rack up lots of points paying tax :)

I have CitiBusiness Gold card. To move to Select, would I have to give that up?

No, you won't - I've got both a CitiBusiness Gold and a Select myself. Perfect combo for low surcharges and max points earn whilst still retaining the ability to to earn QFF points as and when required. I was also able to get the Select signon bonus points back in March by applying for it as a second card (this is actually the main reason I initially set it up as a second card), but YMMV as there seems to be some debate over whether it still works this way.

You should be aware that Citi treat an application for a second card like a brand new card application (rather than a much simpler card "upgrade") though, and hence a new credit / capacity assessment, etc, will apply. This can have a couple of implications:

- you can only have a maximum of one limit increase OR new card application every 6 months, so make sure you don't apply for a limit increase (or accept an unsolicited limit increase offer) on the CBG between now and October.

- Citi assess capacity with regards to credit limit jointly across all cards, so depending upon your financial situation / how high the limit is on your CBG you may want to consider reducing the CBG's limit (or at least speaking to them about it) before you apply for Select. Once approved you can transfer limit between the two cards at any time over the phone though - e.g. I had an existing high limit on my CBG so applied for Select with minimum credit limit ($15k?), and then once it was approved moved most of the CBG limit across to Select.

Finally, be aware that each card will have it's own CitiRewards account (and online banking login, most frustratingly) with the applicable redemption rules applied to each one (i.e. no QFF on the Select, no AsiaMiles on the CBG).

Good info in your response. Thanks. Seems I could have hurt my chance for Select card as last month, August, I've accepted increase in limit with CBG.

Good info in your response. Thanks.

No worries.

Seems I could have hurt my chance for Select card as last month, August, I've accepted increase in limit with CBG.

You may have, but give it a go (talk to them about it) anyway - I was probably a little too "black and white" in my response, it's not an absolute hard-and-fast rule. e.g. in my case I'd actually done the same as you and accepted a credit limit increase on my CBG a few months earlier, but because my income had increased between that limit increase and the Select application they were willing to consider (and approve) my Select application anyway.

So, you could try going down this path if you can demonstrate some sort of increase in your income, or possibly there are some other loopholes. It may also be different if yours was an unsolicited credit limit increase offer vs a request for a limit increase (mine was the latter).

In an ideal world I would like to have a Citi 1.25 QF points per dollar 250k capped card as well as the Kris Flyer Select card. Instead i use EDR from Woolies and I don't want a capped card.
With Mrscove having the QF Select what it means is I have more Kris points and she has more QF points. To make it more equal we redeem off the biggest accounts first so that works ok.
The question on whether paying international bills on Select the last payment I did cost an extra $80 on $US3,762.50 compared with 28 Degrees. The extra points earn will neutralize that cost at 3.33 points per dollar to Kris.
Let me get this right, $80 gives you just over 12.5K points on SQ, to me that's way better deal that 0 points on 28 degrees. even if you only have the Cit Business or Plat you'd get 7525 points. That to me is close to neutral, if I had the Select I'd definitely be preferring it over the 28 Degrees.!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back