Citi removing Skywards as a transfer partner

ChrisFlyer

Established Member
Just a heads up that Emirates Skywards is being removed as a transfer option from Citi Rewards as of 31 Jan 2023.

Not sure if this applies to all levels of Citi Rewards as I only have the basic Rewards card (not Premier or Prestige). Options remaining are KrisFlyer, Flybuys and Velocity (only Prestige gets the broader set).

Yes, sadly this is being removed as a transfer option for all Citi Rewards cardholders from the end of this month. Also for Diners Club Rewards, Suncorp Rewards and Card Services Rewards members.

Details here:

Any reason for this? NAB doesn't want to buy Skywards points, or EK doesn't want to deal with NAB?

Any reason for this? NAB doesn't want to buy Skywards points, or EK doesn't want to deal with NAB?
It could come down to cost. Emirates miles are notably more expensive than other frequent flyer program points, which is why many transfer partners use a less favourable rate to Emirates than to other programs. If the agreement was up for renewal and costs went up (particularly as AED is benchmarked on the USD, for which currency conversions from AUD are poor right now), NAB may well have just decided that it wasn't worth the significantly higher cost, and/or that a poorer conversion rate to compensate wouldn't drive the sort of volume required to make Skywards a viable option at the volumes required to achieve the best price. Add to that, Skywards' many changes over the past year that have increased the mileage rates and hiked the cash co-pay costs which decrease the overall value of the program, and it probably found its way into the 'not worth it' basket.

It could come down to cost. Emirates miles are notably more expensive than other frequent flyer program points, which is why many transfer partners use a less favourable rate to Emirates than to other programs. If the agreement was up for renewal and costs went up (particularly as AED is benchmarked on the USD, for which currency conversions from AUD are poor right now), NAB may well have just decided that it wasn't worth the significantly higher cost, and/or that a poorer conversion rate to compensate wouldn't drive the sort of volume required to make Skywards a viable option at the volumes required to achieve the best price. Add to that, Skywards' many changes over the past year that have increased the mileage rates and hiked the cash co-pay costs which decrease the overall value of the program, and it probably found its way into the 'not worth it' basket.
Thank you for that explaination. Makes sense. However, for some of us retired folk, who have troubles getting new credit cards, even though we are not a financial risk, the Skywards program through the Citi Prestige Card suited us. Due to Skywards lesser popularity in Australia, it made finding reward seats out of Australia much easier. All the hoohah I have been hearing about Qantas and lack of reward seats, yet I go on EK, and most times get what I want first go. Yes, I pay much higher mileage rates, but, its still far less than a full fare Business Class seat. For us, it is an unfortunate situation.

yet I go on EK, and most times get what I want first go. Yes, I pay much higher mileage rates, but, its still far less than a full fare Business Class seat.
You must put an impressive amount of spend through your Citi card! What does a flexi business class fare return to Europe cost? 400K points per person?!

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Currently Active Users

Back