China Airlines Cheap and Brilliant service

Discussion in 'Cheap International Airfares' started by Dalescott, Jan 13, 2018.

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
(Click HERE for a welcome message from our founder.)

Our site contains tons of information that is guaranteed to improve your travel experience. Be it tips on how to fly in First/Business at a reduced cost, smart ways to earn more points, the best way to use your points, cheap deals, hand-picked hotel recommendations, detailed trip reports.

We hope you find the information useful and decide to join our online community.

Joining AFF is fast, simple and ABSOLUTELY FREE - so why not join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear freeing up more space on your screen!
And you will see fewer advertisements :)

1. Dalescott

Dalescott Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    #1 Dalescott, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2018
    China Airlines, this and EVA are out of Taiwan. Have a cheap airfares, in J and Y+. The J fare is $8700 [for two people] MEL to LGW, and the Y+ is $2300. They have new Airbus A350-900, with a herring bone style seating in J, and the Y+ seat are the hard shell type, none of this in your lap when the seat in front is reclined. The Y compartment has a Sky Bistro Bar, at the rear of the J compartment.
    I have included this from Review: China Airlines A350 Business Class Amsterdam to Taipei - Live and Let's Fly, which I think gives a very good idea.
    Will be flying with them again in May this year.
    Ohh and by the way, the In flight service is the best I have ever had, and I include Qatar and Cathay.
    Registered Users don't see this and have the option of removing all other advertisements.  Register HERE

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. MEL_Traveller

MEL_Traveller Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2005
    Melbourne, AU
    I think the J fare you listed is a typo?

I does look like a good product.

It seems the seat is similar to that of VA's? But CI's adaptation looks much more inviting. Just replacing the solid block of white VA uses (making the seat look small and cramped) with different colours makes a huge difference.

3. Dalescott

Dalescott Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    No that is not a typo (error) that is the fare. There is a 3 hr lay over going and a 5 hr lay over coming back. The Lounge is good, and comfortable.

4. MEL_Traveller

MEL_Traveller Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2005
    Melbourne, AU
    $8700 for J class seems expensive. The PEY fare is extremely good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dalescott

Dalescott Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Haha LOL, sorry $8700 for two people, so yes your right it was a typo. Must remember to measure twice and cut once.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Franky

Franky Active Member

Apr 25, 2015
    Perth
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Now your'e talking..

• Like Like x 1
  7. burmans

burmans Senior Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Sydney
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Now for two this is very good deal!

8. MEL_Traveller

MEL_Traveller Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2005
    Melbourne, AU
    I was just doing some digging around on this fare for the Scoot thread... looks like CI is even discounting their PEY even further... in Ausgust they're offering MEL-FRA for AUD1870 per person return (A350->A350) and AMS is just $1795. That's PEY! Amazingly cheap! Haven't checked if those fares are available other months, but that's putting PEY at just a small premium over say SQ or other major carriers Y class)

9. Dalescott

Dalescott Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    The service, the cost, the planes, only the ground service can be faulted.

10. Isochronous

Isochronous Established Member

Dec 18, 2009
    1A
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Sounds good dalescott, thanks for the find!

11. FL360

FL360 Member

Dec 7, 2007
    SYD
    thanks for the heads up ! they have business class SYD to JFK around 4k per person too !

WOW I don't need to consider VN then, hate paying for VN J and discover that the person next to you got upgrades via option town.

TPE is an excellent place to stopover, better if you understand Chinese !

12. jazza1971

jazza1971 Member

May 30, 2011
    Booked the wife Y+ Syd-Ams mid jul for 1577 return.... cheaper then any 1 stop Y fares. Incidentally the family are in the middle of a Syd-Fra Y trip and all commented on how clean the aircraft were and how good the in-flight service has been.

13. DJSYD81

DJSYD81 Intern

Jul 15, 2010
    Sydney
    I just booked SYD-FRA return in J for just over $4k. A350 and 777. Product looks good, hopefully service will be good too.

14. laffer

laffer Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Over time we build little prejudices (mostly uninformed) but I've always had niggling doubts about China Air in terms of its safety. I would like to seriously consider these fares. Am I allowing the unspoken psyche to run with an irrational fear?

15. MEL_Traveller

MEL_Traveller Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2005
    Melbourne, AU
    no. i think they had a pretty terrible reputation (accident record) a decade or so back. but they have new planes now. Hopefully better technology. And hopefully lessons learned.

But which airlines have a perfect record? (IIRC Hawaiian airlines?) People happily fly SQ, MH, EK with out a second thought.

16. Flying Fox

Flying Fox Established Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Adelaide
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Personally, I would have flown MH without question. However, these days I try to avoid MH. This is both from a safety & product perspective.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. FL360

FL360 Member

Dec 7, 2007
    SYD
    the old days where they are flew by ex-nationalist pilots are long gone.......

they have all new planes now, and the most recent flight I had with them was flown by a lady with an American accent...

18. Paulabbey

Paulabbey Newbie

Nov 11, 2013
    hey everyone, awesome find! is it just me or can you not book from MEL-LGW in PEY through the China Airlines site? it seems to have all other cities, but when i choose MEL, LGW isn't there for a destination...

19. Dalescott

Dalescott Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    You will need to book it thru a TA, you can try a multi city. MEL-TPE-LGW, LGW-TPE-MEL or ring the Melbourne office 03-99070910. if you need to get the flight info, use Ita Matrix. The fare has gone up quite a bit in the last week, as demand increases.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Paulabbey

Paulabbey Newbie

Nov 11, 2013
    thanks for the advice @Dalescott will give that a try