Cheap fares from the USA to AU

Discussion in 'United Mileage Plus' started by futaris, Aug 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. futaris

futaris Established Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Brisbane

2. Evan

Evan Established Member

Dec 26, 2006
    SIN / MEL
    But remember the ex AU prices are return and included taxes, the ex US fares are 1 way and exlude taxes.

I wonder what the real difference becomes but it still looks cheaper.

E

3. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Seems to come out at USD1580 (~AUD1980)

4. v8Statesman

v8Statesman Established Member

Then add GST and it is very compareable at $2,178

5. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Not the case ...

NO Oz GST is applicable on international itineraries; this includes solely domestic Oz flights booked as part of a PNR containing international segments.

6. v8Statesman

Well you learn something new everyday. That's means that when I booked PER-MEL/MEL-AKL I could have saved some $$$ by booking PER-MEL-AKL. Live and learn.

7. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Not necessarily. It's not a level field.

Without sales PER-AKL can be had via MEL for $550. Book the same flights separately and it's $277 (inc ~$25GST) and $341 MEL-AKL, a total of $618. Taking the GST into account there's still about a $40 difference.

What happens here is there are different base fares and different taxes depending on route. e.g. There may be a charge for a Dom - Int transfer in MEL that is not applied with separate bookings. These vary between PER-AKL, MEL-AKL and PER-MEL. The base fares and taxes for these routings are currently:
    • PER-AKL: $406 & $144 in +++
    • PER-MEL: $216 & $ 61 in +++
    • MEL-AKL: $224 & $117 in +++
    Of course, there is a sale on at the moment and the base MEL-AKL fare drops to $132 & $117 in +++. (Note the $117 is consistent). So you could save in this case by doing separate bookings.

8. v8Statesman

That makes me feel a bit better. The complexities of tickets are a nightmare. I feel like I know so much from reading the forum, but then you realise that it is just a scratch on the surface.