Changi Matters | Page 6 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Changi Matters

MEL_Traveller

AFF Supporter
Depending what you want out of ‘Jewel’, about 20 minutes should be sufficient. The central waterfall is about 5 minutes, but you may wish to sit and watch it for a while. All the rest is shops and food outlets. If going there to eat, allow an appropriate amount of time, but the actual waterfall, during the day at least, can be seen fairly quickly.

RooFlyer

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Depending what you want out of ‘Jewel’, about 20 minutes should be sufficient.
I dunno. I'll be doing the walk up the steps ( is it 6 flights?) through the 'forest' as well as walking around more generally. And if I have as long layover, I can see myself doing it more than once.

SponsorSFC

I couldn't seem to find any info, does anyone know if Jewel is airside or landside of immigration?

We have a long layover in September but at the same time I don't know if it would be worth clearing immigration and back again.

amaroo

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I couldn't seem to find any info, does anyone know if Jewel is airside or landside of immigration?

We have a long layover in September but at the same time I don't know if it would be worth clearing immigration and back again.
If you watch the video it talks about the ability to ride a train through without the need to pass C&I

MEL_Traveller

AFF Supporter
20 minutes? Seriously MEL?
Yes. I was there last night. It is a waterfall and surrounding ‘forrest’. But that section is not overly big, and it is crowded. You can have a look at the waterfall in five minutes.

The rest of the complex is full of shops and food stalls/restaurants. We walked around that looking for stuff. But it’s a shopping centre and food court.

At night time there is a laser show. That might take more time.

Last edited:

love_the_life

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Yes. I was there last night. It is a waterfall and surrounding ‘forrest’. But that section is not overly big, and it is crowded. You can have a look at the waterfall in five minutes.

The rest of the complex is full of shops and food stalls/restaurants. We walked around that looking for stuff. But it’s a shopping centre and food court.

At night time there is a laser show. That might take more time.
And according to the website there are quite a few feature labelled as 'coming soon'.

Dr_Goz

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Went there on the opening day. The waterfall was alright and the little walks around were nice.
Mostly it is just a shopping centre. Some discounts on the opening day, but nothing you can't get elsewhere in Singapore.
The popular places with long lines were Shake shack, A&W and the Pokemon store.

I think the real benefit of the place will be later in the year when the other things are opened.

pagingjoan

AFF Supporter
On Day 2 of public access at Jewel, the queues themselves were worth seeing. Great entertainment. :)
The local populace seem to be fine with queues. At our hotel, the young concierge told me that she had queued recently for three hours for a new McDonalds in the city (Not at Jewel, as she was waiting for her day off to visit there!). :)
Jewel is definitely accessible land side, with multiple “Jewel Drop Off” points signed on approach to Terminals.

amaroo

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
The queue for Shake Shack is still ridiculously impressive. Some features (probably the best ones) like canopy bridge and park don’t open until mid June.

The monorail gave me the impression I was in some sort of Jurassic theme park.

Was happy to walk out and over to TPR.... that’s more my thing.

C72E2AC7-5480-46F6-BE33-8EE8296CAD2B.jpeg7763C343-602A-421F-BBA4-D24EEF3D7DB1.jpeg0AFA0E03-F1D8-4161-A68A-E0871295D261.jpegDCE59671-5745-43AE-95BE-7291C47258D1.jpeg54E8ACD3-C1DB-42D1-98CC-C7068EC2A58D.jpeg

stm1sydney

I have a 16 hour SIN transit coming up. Looking to get out of the airport and do a day stay in a hotel, about 12 hours, for a sleep and then a walk around, visit some hawker centres for lots of local food, then back to the hotel for a rest/shower, before returning to the airport for a midnight departure.

Can anyone recommend a quiet, comfortable hotel not too far from Changi (ie, not in the CBD), in an interesting local area with lots of local food, that offers a reasonable day stay rate for 12 hours. Not much to ask! Thanks in advance.

Lynda2475

Has anyonebeen back to Jewel since the newer attractions opened i.e the sky nets? My flight is delayed tonight so thought i might check it out before htting the lounge. Web site says no carry-on cases can be taken in so will have to get that stored but are hand bags ok?

codash1099

AFF Supporter
Has anyonebeen back to Jewel since the newer attractions opened i.e the sky nets? My flight is delayed tonight so thought i might check it out before htting the lounge. Web site says no carry-on cases can be taken in so will have to get that stored but are hand bags ok?
I had no trouble with my carry on, and there were plenty of others there as well.

Lynda2475

Yeah had no issue, saw a few people up on walkway but no sign of the nets or mazes, think the website is describing a future state as almost everyone had luggage

AFF on Air Podcast

• jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lockitinbuddy