Changes to American Express rewards

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejay

Has anyone received formal notification from American Express regarding the changes to their rewards program? Their website gives detailed information about the two new programs, however their staff are reluctant to speak about it or explain how the program will be implemented.

Is there much value in paying an even greater fee for being an American Express Membership Rewards customer despite their increased number of airline partners?

ejay said:
Has anyone received formal notification from American Express regarding the changes to their rewards program?

Yes, received a letter about a month ago with a 4-colour brochure outlining the options, although they had automatically enrolled me in the rewards + flights option, whatever they're calling that.

Is there much value in paying an even greater fee for being an American Express Membership Rewards customer despite their increased number of airline partners?

Not that I can see, but for the net annual benefit I get from the MR programme, I couldn't care if they tripled the fee - I'm still way ahead.

There may be an advantage to those flying with evil empire airlines (Star Alliance), but as a QF Frequent Flyer you can redeem QF points on any OW carrier anyway, as well as El Al, Sarth Effrikan, Air Pacific, etc.

Just make sure you transfer any QF bonus points before the cut-off date. I'm still miffed at Amex for ending the double points on QF, that was worth an awful lot to me over the past few years.

Changes to American Express Awards

Shillard,

Agree but we made hay while the sun shone! Now it is matter of looking to the next offer. ANZ Qantas Visa still gives you bonus points for Qantas spend, so you get bonus FF points.

You could always get triple points anyway by doing a balance transfer - so depending on what your FF level is, you could be getting quad points (I'm lucky enough to be achieving them). Infact, know that you can get quintuple points.Example:

Buy a Qantas ticket online (get a bonus 1,000 points), say BNE/SYD, with your ANZ Qantas Visa.
Get bonus points from ANZ Qantas Visa on the Qantas ticket cost.
Get a minimum 1,000 points for the flight (more depending on your QFF status and class of travel)
Do a balance transfer from ANZ Qantas Visa to Amex
Get points from Amex (hey, don't forget to pay it off!) :D :D

Re: Changes to American Express Awards

Lindsay Wilson said:
Buy a Qantas ticket online (get a bonus 1,000 points), say BNE/SYD, with your ANZ Qantas Visa.
Get bonus points from ANZ Qantas Visa on the Qantas ticket cost.
Get a minimum 1,000 points for the flight (more depending on your QFF status and class of travel)

Sure, I get dbl points because of my platinum status, but rarely fly J on such a short sector. I would only do so if travelling with my wife.

Frankly, I think any company CFO that authorises J travel for employees on 1 hour flights should be taken out the back and shot by the shareholders.

Lindsay Wilson said:
Do a balance transfer from ANZ Qantas Visa to Amex Get points from Amex (hey, don't forget to pay it off!) :D :D

Can you do that with Amex charge cards? I didn't think "balance transfers" were possible.

Changes to American Express awards

Agree, Platinum helps us both there but this is directed more for those AFF members who regularly fly Economy. I always buy Discount Economy and upgrade to Business (either upgrades over the phone, waitlisted on Or Departure), unless it's serious long-haul (SYD/LHR or SYD/LAX or RTW ticket).

With AMP Amex, you can do balance transfers. They actively encourage it - if you have a good credir payment history, they'll send you the balance transfer form in with the statement every 3 months or so.

Also with Citibank Platinum Viscard, not sure with Silver.

Balance Transfer / Points Transfer

I'm not sure about the charge card, but you can do a credit card balance transfer to the Amex Blue Credit Card. If you have a corporate charge card you qualify for a fee-free personal blue credit card. Before jumping in on the balance transfer, check that you will receive reward points for the transferred amount - often transferred balances are excluded.

A quick tip on reward points transfers to Qantas FF. If you make the transfer online you get a message box that tells you to allow something like 4 business days for the transferred points to appear in your Qantas FF account. However I've twice transferred online late in the afternoon and found the points already added to my Qantas balance first thing next morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back