Chairman's Lounge - what's that all about then? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Chairman's Lounge - what's that all about then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightwatchman

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2006
Messages
37
Whats the deal with the Chairman's Lounge?

I presume it's invitation only to VIPs, or similar.

Am always tempted to duck in through the door when someone is on the way out.
 

Nightwatchman

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2006
Messages
37
Actually, I notice this has been discussed before - should have done a search before posting.
 

steven s

Junior Member
Joined
May 10, 2006
Messages
32
It is a wonder that someone has not been down your throat!!!! It is only the experts that are allowed to talk on here, as everything us new people want to talk about has always been discussed before on a previous thread.
 
M

MetroAir

steven s said:
It is a wonder that someone has not been down your throat!!!! It is only the experts that are allowed to talk on here, as everything us new people want to talk about has always been discussed before on a previous thread.
Well said steven s, interesting someone else noticed it.
 

Mal

AFF Supporter
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,253
Flights
My Map
One tip though about the CL, There should be a Qantas staffer just inside the door of the CL lounge to "assist" the CL'ers. May not be that good an idea to just pop in :)

That said, there are plenty of CL members in Australia. Maybe you know one who'll give you an invite into the sacred club.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
steven s said:
It is a wonder that someone has not been down your throat!!!! It is only the experts that are allowed to talk on here, as everything us new people want to talk about has always been discussed before on a previous thread.
It is reasonable to use a search to see whether something has been/is being discussed elsewhere before starting a new thread whether new or established member.

If something has been discussed and there is nothing new to add, does it merit a new thread?

Dave
 

Soundguy

Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2006
Messages
323
Nightwatchman said:
Whats the deal with the Chairman's Lounge?
The Chairmans Lounge eh? Well son it's like this.....

Remember the first thing you noticed about Qantas? As a little kid even well before you got near the plane for that 1st flight? Yes - EVERYTHING at Qantas is in tiers. Remember lining up in the long economy queue and shuffling forward bit by bit whilst watching the smartly dressed businessmen get quickly processed by a smiling attendant in Business / First class? Then see them stroll off into a doorway marked 'Qantas Club' where no economy person dare to so much as peek? Then later emerge with that satisfied look....? Just to rub it in recall filing past those enormous lounge chairs in first and business class as you were hurried to the rear of the plane?

Perhaps it was a little later in life - after a few flights - that you first noticed it. You were way back in economy where the food is served last and at the lowest temperature, being attended by an aging dragon whilst a little further on two balding male attendants appeared to be fumbling over a bread roll whilst looking deeply into each others eyes and smiling at nothing. Yes, you dared to let your eyes stray past that curtain - are you even allowed to look through the gap? And woooahh! In business class there was no dragon in sight; only a sweet 18 year old thing with what seemed a special cut of uniform, beaming at each passanger she carefully served. It was at that time you finally got it - EVERYTHING at Qantas is in tiers!

Well son, the Chairmans Lounge is just the same. No common folk really know how many tiers exist within the Chairmans Lounge, but at the upper levels the word is if you need to ask the price you can't afford it. And the staff? Ah yes..... we are talking the supermodels here without a doubt; the creme de la creme of attendants! There are services such as QLAP (Qantas lap dance) and others whispered about, but no-one knows for sure, members being sworn to secrecy.

But despite all this, you should think it through well before you post your application and credit card details with unspecified amount. Why you ask? Well the Chairmans Lounge is the finest of places and has the most outstanding service with the best food and wine money can buy. But would you care to share it with the likes of cussing, sneering Paul Keating? Grouchy Rupert Murdoch? Geeky Bill Gates? Agressive Mark Latham? Thought not.....


PS: It's only a joke Qantas! Please don't delete my SC's..... or change my seating preference to toilet! Haven't you got a sense of humour.....? No....?
 
Last edited:

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,100
Soundguy said:
PS: It's only a joke Qantas! Please don't delete my SC's..... or change my seating preference to toilet! Haven't you got a sense of humour.....? No....?
Very well written. See there are people on this board that have a sense of humour. Thanks for the laugh. :D
 

coco50

Active Member
Joined
May 15, 2006
Messages
846
Soundguy: You have a great talent for storytelling. I forgot to look. Are you on a distinguished road or merely an unknown quantity? I was spellbound by your tale and only hoped that my computer's firewall would allow me continued access after the QLAP:!: I have always been mystified by the discreet entrance to the CL at SYD T3 What must the view be like out over 34 - 16?
 

Soundguy

Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2006
Messages
323
Robert Barlow said:
....I have always been mystified by the discreet entrance to the CL
That is the whole point - discretion. Have you ever noticed the men who enter the CL cast a furtive sideways glance as they enter, if to check if anyone is looking? My friend, they are not going there to sample the anchovy dip! Nor is the view out the window in any way relevant! If you had any inkling of the superb qualities of the CL staff and the amazing special uniforms (to name but two points) you would understand the desire for discretion, for sure. No-one in this position wants the commoners (QC class) becoming curious or trying to pry. Even the name is indicative - no feminist 'Chairperson' stuff here, this is unquestionably mens domain. And in the upper tiers only the topmost echelons of wealth are represented, and by invitation only thank you very much....


Ha ha.... sorry I'm in a funny mood today! But I have also been curious about the discreet CL entrances, it spices the imagination as you can see.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Robert Barlow said:
But I have also been curious about the discreet CL entrance at SYD
The entrance at SYD is hardly discreet ; it has a big entry sign saying "Chairman's Lounge"

Given that the few people who are permitted access are given information where the lounges are, there is little need to make them obvious.

Dave
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,872
steven s said:
It is a wonder that someone has not been down your throat!!!! It is only the experts that are allowed to talk on here, as everything us new people want to talk about has always been discussed before on a previous thread.
Hi Steven.

The phrase "please use the search function, it's been discussed before" is one of my pet hates. :mad: It happens on the US-based Flyertalk forum on a regular basis and I don't want to see it happen here. I mentioned this recently to one of the moderators. If I see it happen, I will complain to the forum's owner as it only serves to piss off new members for the sake of neatness. In my mind, there is simply no point.

Please do hang in here with us. We need new members. Don't be afraid to post. I talk a lot here and I'm no expert. ;)
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Yada Yada said:
Hi Steven.

The phrase "please use the search function, it's been discussed before" is one of my pet hates. :mad: It happens on the US-based Flyertalk forum on a regular basis and I don't want to see it happen here. I mentioned this recently to one of the moderators. If I see it happen, I will complain to the forum's owner as it only serves to piss off new members for the sake of neatness. In my mind, there is simply no point.
Of course there is a point ( especially if done politely ) . If something has been discussed already, then the answer to the question is already likely there and could be obtained. On the other hand, the search facility built into the software is fairly poor imo and finding by search can be difficult and I can understand someone ending up asking something that has already been asked. ( I end up using google to search the AFF site if I need to do a search )

Dave
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,872
Dave Noble said:
Of course there is a point ( especially if done politely ) . If something has been discussed already, then the answer to the question is already likely there and could be obtained. On the other hand, the search facility built into the software is fairly poor imo and finding by search can be difficult and I can understand someone ending up asking something that has already been asked. ( I end up using google to search the AFF site if I need to do a search )
The problem Dave, is that it is rarely done politely, and even if the intent is to be polite it often comes over as being quite dismissive.

On many occasions it would be just as easy to provide help by answering the question then and there. And if there is some valuable information in another thread, then I think it incumbent upon the regular member to provide a link to relevant threads for the OP instead of consigning them to "search hell".

Good tip about using Google instead of the site's search engine! ;)
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,265
Flights
My Map
I agree with Yada Yada that such responses to newbie poster are unhelpful.

My general response is in line with answering the OP and to suggest a thread or two for more information, as well as some search pointers.

For example, searching here on threads containing the words "chairmans lounge" returns no fewer than 35 threads with about 50% useful to this topic.

Here's a bit of a classic: Chairman's Lounge, what it really offers..
 
Last edited:

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Yada Yada said:
The problem Dave, is that it is rarely done politely, and even if the intent is to be polite it often comes over as being quite dismissive.

On many occasions it would be just as easy to provide help by answering the question then and there. And if there is some valuable information in another thread, then I think it incumbent upon the regular member to provide a link to relevant threads for the OP instead of consigning them to "search hell".

Good tip about using Google instead of the site's search engine! ;)
It can be done politely and I agree with you that just telling someone to use search is impolite. My view on that is that someone could either post a link with the suggestion to search in future or not bother posting

Yeah,

"search string" site:frequentflyer.com.au

is a much better search tool than the board's own search imo and a search using "Chairmans Lounge" does reveal quite nicely some relevent threads

Dave
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,792
Flights
My Map
I have not seen this as being a problem on AFF. Have I miss something? Or should I use the search function to find posts about using the search function?
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,872
Dave Noble said:
"search string" site:frequentflyer.com.au

is a much better search tool than the board's own search imo and a search using "Chairmans Lounge" does reveal quite nicely some relevent threads
You know your Google stuff! That's tip of the day for me.

Thanks Dave.
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,872
NM said:
Or should I use the search function to find posts about using the search function?
:D :D :D

You know, this thread probably should have been started over here, but I won't tell the moderators if you don't. ;)

P.S. I think we have a few too many forum sections now. :(
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,100
NM said:
I have not seen this as being a problem on AFF. Have I miss something? Or should I use the search function to find posts about using the search function?
It has happened on a number of occassions. And some new members do take offence.

I may have been guilty of this in the past as well but generally if I see a question posted by a new member then I do the search myself and post the relevant links.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
81,252
Messages
1,873,725
Members
49,110
Latest member
holmes182
Top