Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Carry on Luggage

Status
Not open for further replies.

pennelton

Junior Member
Joined
May 9, 2007
Messages
13
Points
0
Hey all, im wondering if anyone can help with this one

Im heading to Heathrow next month via Singapore. Im planinng to live in the UK for a year or so and wanting to take a couple of suits with me. My check in luggage will be a 75 Litre Backpack (not suitable for a suit).
Ill be travelling in Y class and I am a Bronze status FF.

Am I allowed to take a suit bag as carry on luggage, as well as my carry on suitcase?
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,336
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
The official answer is here on the QF web site.

Its an either/or for International economy class. However, that does not mean your won't get away with it.

Qantas Bronze does not provide increased carry on luggage.

Note that if you are transitting through London to another location, everyone is limited to one piece of carry-on at the transit point. No restriction imposed by the airport security is terminating at London.
 

Reggie

Established Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2006
Messages
1,642
Points
10
Or from the BA website

Customers travelling from the rest of the world and ending their journey in the UK
ONE cabin bag, no bigger than 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (approximately 22 inches x 17.5 inches x 9.85 inches).
plus one laptop or briefcase

Please Note. You must be able to lift your bag unaided into the aircraft overhead locker. However, our cabin crew will assist customers with additional needs.
Please also note. A handbag (purse) does count as one piece of hand baggage.

Liquids must be carried in individual containers, not exceeding 100 ml
For further information on the carriage of liquids onboard, please click here

If your cabin bag exceeds the new dimensions or contains prohibited items, you will be asked to repack it or check it into the hold. This may cause you an unnecessary delay.
If you have large electrical goods (eg laptops, digital cameras etc) in your hand baggage, please ensure these are easily accessible as you will be required to remove them for x-ray screening.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
The issue is if continuing to another airport, or returning. Only 1 carry on allowed through security, and this includes personal items. Goons shouting at the queues seem to take great delight in turning pax away who have a 2nd item, even if it means they miss their onward flight or have issues with immigration (eg need visa to enter UK). :evil:
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,336
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Kiwi Flyer said:
The issue is if continuing to another airport, or returning. Only 1 carry on allowed through security, and this includes personal items. Goons shouting at the queues seem to take great delight in turning pax away who have a 2nd item, even if it means they miss their onward flight or have issues with immigration (eg need visa to enter UK). :evil:
But if no issued with immigration, it can be quicker to pass through immigration, go to check-in desk and check the extra item, and return airside through the normal security process.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
NM said:
But if no issued with immigration, it can be quicker to pass through immigration, go to check-in desk and check the extra item, and return airside through the normal security process.

Yes it can - as I observed directly a week ago. A fellow pax on my flight (not travelling with me but just met by coincidence) was connecting to the same onward flight and had no choice but to clear immigration (bags not checked through :shock: ). She made the gate a long time before I did.

But it is a gamble and doesn't always work out quicker.
 

pennelton

Junior Member
Joined
May 9, 2007
Messages
13
Points
0
So should I just go to the check in counter and advise that I have 2 items for carry on luggage and see what they say??
 

Reggie

Established Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2006
Messages
1,642
Points
10
pennelton said:
So should I just go to the check in counter and advise that I have 2 items for carry on luggage and see what they say??

If your not transfering through a UK airport, you should be ok.

If you are transfering to another flight, even a domestic UK flight only one piece of carry on.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
Going TO London (with no onward flight) then no problem taking small carry on as well as personal items (suit carrier).

Going FROM London (or transferring to onward flight) you will not be allowed to take suit carrier as a 2nd item. Up to you if check it in or proceed to security and then get turned back. It isn't up to the airline to make an exemption, unfortunately.
 

pennelton

Junior Member
Joined
May 9, 2007
Messages
13
Points
0
Reggie said:
If your not transfering through a UK airport, you should be ok.

If you are transfering to another flight, even a domestic UK flight only one piece of carry on.

Thats ok then as Heathrow will be my last stop, hopefully I have no problems at Singapore :confused:
 

Reggie

Established Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2006
Messages
1,642
Points
10
pennelton said:
Thats ok then as Heathrow will be my last stop, hopefully I have no problems at Singapore :confused:

You shouldn't, I generally take 2 bags through SIN to LHR, and consolidate to 1 bag on approach into LHR, pass security, then seperate back into 2 bags whilst I shower awaiting my CDG flight. When walking around terminal 4 I notice there are lots of other pax that also have 2 bags.
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,336
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Note that technically you would be in excess of the Qantas published carry-on limits for international economy travel. So it is quite possible that they will not not permit you to take both items on board. However, most times you will get away with it. but if the flight is full, then you may be asked to rearrange your packing to comply with the limits.

I wold suggets keeping your other carry-on bag as small and light as possible. Ensure it does not look heavy or you may be targeted for a compliance check.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
Reggie said:
You shouldn't, I generally take 2 bags through SIN to LHR, and consolidate to 1 bag on approach into LHR, pass security, then seperate back into 2 bags whilst I shower awaiting my CDG flight. When walking around terminal 4 I notice there are lots of other pax that also have 2 bags.

Just what I did on my 2nd to last RTW.
 

Reggie

Established Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2006
Messages
1,642
Points
10
simongr said:
Just no liquids when transiting through SIN.

Fine in 100ml or less quantities in the zip lock bag, which you can get at most Australian international airports.

Actually that reminds me, on my last trip through SIN, they actually made all pax turn their computers on to see them run, has anyone experienced this before?
 
Trying to access your favourite Australian websites when overseas only to discover they have been geo-blocked? Concerned about your internet privacy especially when using unsecured wifi? NordVPN will solve both these common problems.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
Reggie said:
Actually that reminds me, on my last trip through SIN, they actually made all pax turn their computers on to see them run, has anyone experienced this before?

Not at SIN, but some airports do require this sometimes. I'm not sure what happens if you've run out of juice on the inbound flight.
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,426
Points
0
Reggie said:
Fine in 100ml or less quantities in the zip lock bag, which you can get at most Australian international airports.

Sorry - its just for me that less than 100ml means 0ml - there is nothing I want to carry on that would be less than 100ml...
 

Reggie

Established Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2006
Messages
1,642
Points
10
simongr said:
Sorry - its just for me that less than 100ml means 0ml - there is nothing I want to carry on that would be less than 100ml...

Some of us old decrepits need eye drops, moisturiser etc
 

Evan

Established Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2006
Messages
3,185
Points
0
I am told one of the reasons for turning notebooks on aside from the electrical components maybe not being a computer at all is that early batterys (not the latter Ni-Hh type etc) when viewed byt older x-ray machines looked very similar to some explosives ! and combine that with electricity you have a bomb.
But those issues seem now to have passed.

But in SIN you used to be able to leave the notebook in bag, now they ask you to remove it from the bag for screening. :(

E
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
Evan said:
But in SIN you used to be able to leave the notebook in bag, now they ask you to remove it from the bag for screening. :(

Same in NZ. Up until March this year laptop was fine inside the bag. Now have to remove it. Why? Has technology suddenly gone backwards?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top