Card Payment Surcharges Banned in Australia from 2026

Are you happy with the RBA's proposed changes to surcharging and interchange fees?


  • Total voters
    209
having helped out at a family owned cafe in Sydney I have witnessed first hand some of the cough and venom aimed at the staff. frankly the business is better off without such customers as the staff are happier and less likely to leave.
A solo medical practice is also a small business and I did see the reverse as I was one who accepted Amex and I didn't charge a surcharge for any card. I know some only came to see me because of that. Some would still complain because I only bulk billed pensioners. I invited those to go elsewhere and see how they fared. I was one of a very few who charged the common fee.

Went out to lunch today to celebrate the King's birthday. Got charged 15% for the PH> Wasn't personally told about the surchrge but it was on the menu. I didn't complain as I knew the staff in QLD get 2.5 times their base pay.
 
Even if Aldi's base prices are slightly lower, Colesworth regularly has points offers for an effective 5%-25% off, plus you can buy a 10% off voucher for $7.

And nobody who is bothered by a 0.5% surcharge at Aldi should be paying directly at Colesworth, given that their gift cards can be regularly obtained for 4-6% off (and you still get credit card rewards when buying the gift cards).
Where do you get the 4-6% off gift cards, I only ever see them around 3%
 

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back
Top