Card Options pre MR Devaluation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Returnofthemach

I currently have an AMEX Plat Edge as well as an AMEX Explorer which I have used together successfully for a couple of years to maximise points gain before transferring to my Velocity account. Using both of the cards together, created a powerful earner, however the value in holding these two cards, will, in my mind, drop considerably post the April 15 transfer devaluation - so much so that I feel it’s now no longer worth keeping them both (and paying the $599 in annual fees).

Another factor which compounds this for me if the travel credit - it sounds good but the prices are rarely competitive with other providers and unless you use the credit for airfares, the selection of accomodation options etc is poor to say the least, particularly outside of major cities.

As a result, I am thinking of closing both my cards and taking out a single Velocity Platinum card - it appears this card will retain an Velocity point earn of 1.25 points per dollar for most spends post April 15 and also comes with the usual host of extras.

Even continuing with the once amazing Platinum Edge card would only earn me the equivalent of 1.5 Velocity points per dollar (in comparison to the current 3:1) at Grocery stores and petrol stations, and much less elsewhere post devaluation.

I think the Velocity Plat still offers a pretty consistent all round point earn, direct to your Velocity account and cuts down on multiple annual fees which comes with having additional cards.

Is anyone else in the same position and had any alternate lines of thinking or found any other card options which allow continuation of a reasonable Velocity point earn without significant card costs (and hopefully without having to deal with AMEX travel?)

Any thoughts or advice would be gratefully recieved.

Alex

I hold the same cards and plan to close them both after stocking up on Woolworths egift cards pre devaluation. I don't put enough through the cards to make it worth my while holding at the lower earn rate. I don't get much value out of the AMEX offers and value the travel credits at a far lower than their value.

I think I'll go back to churning cards and re-evaluate AMEX in 18 months.

As a result, I am thinking of closing both my cards and taking out a single Velocity Platinum card - it appears this card will retain an Velocity point earn of 1.25 points per dollar for most spends post April 15 and also comes with the usual host of extras.

I'm considering something similar - getting my wife to sign up for a Velocity Platinum (with me as supplementary) to replace our Platinum Edge. Most interested in the 100 status credits, solid ongoing earn and local champion being worth a full point per $. Hopefully they'll have a nice sign up bonus between now and April.

Yes, I don’t think I can think of a better all round option at the moment. I need to sort mine out in the next few weeks as I don’t want to pay the annual fee for the Explorer card again at the end of this month - however I will keep my Platinum Edge through until devaluation and make the most of the time left earning the current points ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back