Car Rental Loss Damage Waiver cover if trip is not paid on AMEX Platinum Charge Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

gvix

Intern
Dear AFFers,

I am having an argument with a ACE insurance representative (who handle AMEX Platinum Card insurance cover) about the issue of complimentary Loss Damage Waiver cover for car rental overseas.

I haven't paid for my return flights on AMEX card. Only the onward flight from Australia is on the AMEX as the return journey was with a different carrier who did not want to accept AMEX.

Does this mean that I can not access the Loss Damage Waiver cover for car insurance either while overseas?

My argument is that LDW should be covered as this what it says in T&C:

ACTIVATION OF LOSS DAMAGE WAIVER COVER:
Cover is effective when You take legal control of the Rental Vehicle and the entire
cost is charged to the American Express Platinum Card Account.

But the consultant says that it must be part of a trip which has been activated by paying with AMEX card.

Any advice?

Re: Car Rental Loss Damage Waiver cover if trip is not paid on AMEX Platinum Charge C

Cover is effective when You take legal control of the Rental Vehicle and the entire

But the consultant says that it must be part of a trip which has been activated by paying with AMEX card.

Any advice?

Ace is trying to wiggle out, you fulfilled the requirement if you fully paid for the car hire on AMEX. I used the AMEX Platinum charge card and I only paid for car hire and had a smash they paid me straight away after filling in the online claim.

Re: Car Rental Loss Damage Waiver cover if trip is not paid on AMEX Platinum Charge C

Ace is trying to wiggle out, you fulfilled the requirement if you fully paid for the car hire on AMEX. I used the AMEX Platinum charge card and I only paid for car hire and had a smash they paid me straight away after filling in the online claim.

Did you do that before June 15th? After extensive argument, they have pointed out to me that since June 15th, the wording has changed at the start of the insurance document:

1. ELIGIBILITY and ACTIVATION OF INSURANCE BENEFITS
Important: In order to be eligible for the complimentary insurance benefits, You must
first purchase the full fare for a Trip, or an Eligible Item, on the American Express Platinum
Card Account.

It is getting frustrating with AMEX Platinum. This has very devalued the product offering. I was aware of the insurance changes, but I didn't think that this would get this bad.

whats 'an eligible item'? does it make specific reference to the cost of car hire? that might help if it does.

whats 'an eligible item'? does it make specific reference to the cost of car hire? that might help if it does.

'An Eligible item' when I asked them was in reference to other insurance products. Not to car loss damage waiver cover. This is what is meant by eligible items:

ACTIVATION OF PURCHASE PROTECTION COVER:
Cover is effective when You purchase Eligible Items on the American Express
Platinum Card Account.
ACTIVATION OF REFUND PROTECTION COVER:
Cover is effective when You purchase Eligible Items on the American Express
Platinum Card Account in Australia.
ACTIVATION OF BUYER’S ADVANTAGE COVER:

So appears ACE is strictly sticking to the new T&Cs... goodbye Amex and a worthless product I can't trust.

So appears ACE is strictly sticking to the new T&Cs... goodbye Amex and a worthless product I can't trust.

Yes that is true.

However, what is not clear, and what many people will be caught out by (as I have been) is this:

From 15th of June, the Car rental insurance cover is linked to a "trip". A "trip" is defined as anything over 250 KM from your usual place of residence. You are NOT covered for the loss damage waiver if:

a) you do not pay for your entire "trip" with AMEX (onward AND return).
b) you rent a car within 250 KM of your usual place of residence.

I understand that the recent changes in insurance were outlined clearly, and I accepted them (that is why I had no argument against my trip insurance not being covered).

I am caught out by the fact that a car insurance (loss damage) is linked to a trip, otherwise it is not activated. I assumed that this was separate from the other insurance (as it should be).

It is a big bummer and a big warning against using AMEX going forward for anything.

You could still dispute the claim, say you weren't adequately informed by the change in terms of conditions* etc. Put it through ACE's IDR (internal dispute resolution) and see where that takes you. The reference to 'eligible item' seems to be an ambiguous term (confusing even - a PDS cannot be confusing and must be in plain and simple english, could be worth throwing that one in). Next step is the ombudsman.

Were you technically on holiday when you rented the car? I couldn't quite ascertain this from your OP.

*How did the cardholders accept the new T&C - was it on renewal of the card, or a set date in the new PDS?

Last edited:

You could still dispute the claim, say you weren't adequately informed by the change in terms of conditions* etc. Put it through ACE's IDR (internal dispute resolution) and see where that takes you. The reference to 'eligible item' seems to be an ambiguous term (confusing even - a PDS cannot be confusing and must be in plain and simple english, could be worth throwing that one in). Next step is the ombudsman.

Were you technically on holiday when you rented the car? I couldn't quite ascertain this from your OP.

*How did the cardholders accept the new T&C - was it on renewal of the card, or a set date in the new PDS?

Wonderful. Thank you for pointing that out. I am sending a complaint in.

I was not on a holiday, but planning one. I had refused the CDW from the overseas car renters thinking the act of paying for them on my AMEX CC at the time of rental would be enough to activate the insurance (and not linked to a trip). I think I am just lucky at this stage that I rang and confirmed that this won't be the case. It just means that I have to take out a comprehensive travel policy that will cover the car rental excess.

Wonderful. Thank you for pointing that out. I am sending a complaint in.

I have sent the following complaint. I will update here if I hear from them.

Hi there,

I am an AMEX Platinum charge card holder. I understand that recently some changes have been brought about by AMEX and I have received a copy of these new T&C’s. I am attaching the latest T&C’s that were sent to me by your department.

At the start of the Eligibility and Activation of Insurance Benefits section (Page 4), it states:

Exhibit A:
Important: In order to be eligible for the complimentary insurance benefits, You must
first purchase the full fare for a Trip, or an Eligible Item, on the American Express Platinum
Card Account.

Exhibit B:
On the same page, under Loss Damage Waiver Cover:

As per Exhibit B, the simple act of charging the entire cost of the car rental to my AMEX card (and then taking possession of it) is enough to activate the Loss Damage Waiver Cover. It makes no mention about what is said in Exhibit A – that is, I can be anywhere in the world, and I could have got there as I wish (without paying to get there on the AMEX card).

However, on speaking with two of your consultants, I have been advised that:

From 15th of June, the activation of the loss damage waiver cover is linked to a "trip" as per Exhibit A. A "trip" is defined as anything over 250 KM from my usual place of residence. I am NOT covered for the loss damage waiver if:

a) I do not pay for my entire "trip" with AMEX (onward AND return).
b) I rent a car within 250 KM of my usual place of residence.

This is misleading and deceptive.

I was about to confirm the booking of a car rental for my trip overseas when I was told this by one of your consultants. The T&C’s are confusing. As per the consultants, Exhibit B should be read in conjunction to Exhibit A. However, any normal person would simply go to Exhibit B for confirmation of coverage and will be in the belief that he is covered, even though he or she may not have paid for the “trip” on the AMEX.

Either the consultants are wrong and better staff training is required, or you need to clearly state the changes in the PDS in Exhibit B. What might be acceptable is:

Amended Exhibit B:
cost is charged to the American Express Platinum Card Account and you have paid to get to your destination and return using your AMEX.

I look forward to clarification on this issue.

No it was in April, thanks for the heads up. I often use a Qantas or Virgin reward flight with points coming from several cards. If AMEX now makes you prove all travel came solely from AMEX to cover LDW with car hire fully paid by AMEX I will cancel my AMEX card ASAP.

What's the best 1 FF per dollar or more card with the most benefits especially good travel insurance?

So what were you using the rental car for? Was it because your regular car was in the shop and you needed a rental car? Or were you doing holiday-ish stuff?

I think if you were just using a rental car in the same town that you're normally residing at you may have a bit of a struggle. Afterall, travel insurance is meant for travel and maybe this is why they bought in the new T&Cs (to stop people claiming under travel insurance when they weren't travelling).

Regardless, travel can mean many things to different people - some people may say they are travelling when going to the local shops ;)

Agree too tricky for my liking!!

How does Citibank fare?

I have never trusted the cc insurance always taken separate policies with TID. I would always advise others to do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Aust Freq Fly app

So what were you using the rental car for? Was it because your regular car was in the shop and you needed a rental car? Or were you doing holiday-ish stuff?

I was pre-paying the rental car for an upcoming holiday.

No it was in April, thanks for the heads up. I often use a Qantas or Virgin reward flight with points coming from several cards. If AMEX now makes you prove all travel came solely from AMEX to cover LDW with car hire fully paid by AMEX I will cancel my AMEX card ASAP.

That is what I have been told by two different consultants from ACE Insurance. It is deceptive and misleading. You would not come to the same conclusion if you were to just read the PDS.

Do not even dream of hiring a car in America without proper insurance.
If there is an accident and a claim is made when you are back in Australia you must defend it if you are not insured.
Court judgements in the US can be recovered in Australia so you can run and you can hide but it may not help if the judgement gets enforced in Australia. Your assets would be in harms way.

Gosh!
This is scary!
Does any one know if the travel insurance policy has changed for Centurion card holders?
As far as I know, Centurion card holders are automatically covered regardless of whether they've used their card to pay for the trip, or not.
Can someone more knowledgeable confirm?
Thanks.

I have just got a very standard reply from ACE Insurance where they are basically saying that the consultants have it wrong (as I read it) without actually saying as much :)

As noted in this section that cover is effective when you take legal control of the rental vehicle and the entire cost is charged to the American Express Platinum Card Account.

And..

So to clarify the intention of Loss Damage Waiver Cover, it is applicable in instances of travel that includes car hire taking place more than 250 kilometres from your usual place of residence. Activation of the benefit commences when you pay for the full hire of the car on your Platinum Card and take legal control of the vehicle.
Loss Damage Waiver Cover has not changed in the recent update to the complimentary insurance.

No mention of the fact that I need to pay to get there on my AMEX card, which two different consultants had told me is the case.

There is no mention of the fact that they need to retrain their consultants. :)

Maybe we should clarify with CEO of AMEX Australia :)

Maybe we should clarify with CEO of AMEX Australia :)

I would love to find out a way to contact him but he might just defer us to ACE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back