Cancelled Amex Card - Can you still access reward points?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swissbignose

Hi guys,

Hands up those who know if you can still redeem/transfer/whatever reward points attached to a card, if the card has been cancelled (corporate cards gets cancelled if you leave the company!)

Thanks!

I think you should give Customer Service a ring. (txfr to Delhi). I cancelled my rewards program because of the $89 fee they were going to slug me for having two cards. (I also cancelled the AMEX Blue as well).
I received a letter two weeks later saying the 4000 odd points I had could be used in the next 12 months which is a pretty good way of saying the points were always mine to keep.

Yeah, I got rid of mine as well (old AMP card). Got Citibank to give me 2 points per $ for the balance transfer..... got on line, and transferred all my AMEX points over to QFF, then when the transfer was complete, I rang up AMEX to confirm cancelation of the card. I also asked them for a refund of the $33. reward program fee. I actually got a cheque sent in the mail for the $33. !!!
Not a bad exit.... they rang me back a week later.... to ask why I left them (gave them a bit of a story about too many credit cards etc.)
Apparantly, once the account is closed.... you can't access your details on line, thus you can't transfer points on line either.

Regards,

Amex seems to be very civil in this area and I THINK Citibank gives you 6 months.
But I remember reading a post some time back about Commonwealth Bank refusing to transfer points just after a week of cancellation. Their line seemed to be that if you cancel the card, the rewards points expire immediately.

Just to update all on this situation.

American Express have informed me that once a card is cancelled, all reward points are forfeited. I'll know that for next time (There were only 15000 points there anyway!)

swissbignose said:
Just to update all on this situation.

American Express have informed me that once a card is cancelled, all reward points are forfeited. I'll know that for next time (There were only 15000 points there anyway!)

It's curious that statement from Amex about forfeiting the points. :? That's exactly the same way that I was threatened by the Delhi staff member, yet two weeks later I received a letter stating I could still access the 4000 odd points I had left. I also got the $89 fee refund :D
The point in this little matter is that I still have the Company Corporate card but I don't use it unless it's an emergency.
Today I accessed the reward program and took a 3500 point reward and that'll be my lot with it.
I'm happily using the Citibank PLAT card that has a better point value for rewards (ie. 13000 vs 15000 points per $100). The range of goods is higher and amex had an unpleasant caveat against corporate card users that they cannot earn more than 75000 points because of their corporate status.
AMEX can go jump as far as I'm concerned & I hope there's someone from their company that lurks here. BTW I told them all this in the rewards/card cancellation departure interview. (I wonder if it was reported back :?: ).

Cheers....

The point in this little matter is that I still have the Company Corporate card but I don't use it unless it's an emergency.

I agree entirely. It took my company many / many years to force me into a corporate AMEX. I now have it BUT only use it when I'm forced to use it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back