Can I give my upgrade to my wife?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Snowmoo, Feb 11, 2019 at 10:09 PM.

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Snowmoo

Snowmoo Intern

Feb 18, 2008
    Canberra
    We are flying on separate bookings on the same flight syd-sin. Both in Prem economy.

I'm gold, she is bronze

I dont care where I sit, but my wife does so if I put in an upgrade request and get it, am I able to initially take my seat in business, but after take off let my wife sit in business and then I take her seat in prem econ?

2. Daver6

Daver6 Established Member

Dec 31, 2011
    PER
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I don't think it would be a problem but I wouldn't just do it.

Firstly, maybe ask in the lounge if they can swap the seats around for you? Otherwise on board just ask the CSM or one of the crew. I'd even try that before take-off. There's usually plenty of crew around in J.

3. DC3

DC3 Established Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Before swapping, I would have a quiet chat to the CSM as a courtesy and to avoid any subsequent issues.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MEL_Traveller

MEL_Traveller Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2005
    Melbourne, AU
    Yes this is fine. But no need to wait until after take off. Just mention to the member of cabin crew in business class, at the time of boarding, that you would like your wife to take your seat, and she should sit there from the outset.

Otherwise you're in a situation where you're sitting in business to start with, getting the amenity kits, champagne, PJs and everthing else, then you wife comes in and it looks to other passengers that she's going to be getting all the same things again. Plus there's the disruption of you and her changing cabins with cabin bags and everything else.

5. stm1sydney

stm1sydney Member

Mar 31, 2018
  6. Snowmoo

Snowmoo Intern

Feb 18, 2008
    Canberra
    Qantas.

Interestingly she has been receiving the emails asking to bid for an upgrade and I haven't.

7. Ausbt

Ausbt Established Member

Apr 21, 2012
    I had a similar scenario NRT-SYD about 5 years ago but we were on same booking. Upgrade requests in for both. Mine came through at check-in but my wife's did not. Oh, that was an unpleasant wait in the NRT Q lounge. I spent a lot of time trying to convince my wife to take it, but then at the gate boarding her upgrade materialised. I really think this whole upgrade lottery is part of the reason I moved away from Q.

8. Snowmoo

Snowmoo Intern

Feb 18, 2008
    Canberra
    We've now both put in upgrade requests. Will see what happens. Kept bookings separate for the time being.

9. drron

drron Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2002
    Sunshine Coast
    You want to upgrade your wife?
    Best of British with that!:eek::D:D;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. love_the_life

love_the_life Established Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Canberra
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    They didn't say 'Trade in' the wife. :p

Actually one of my ex-sister in laws used the term (traded in for a younger model) to a family member when she was at my father's funeral. The 'younger model' had got wind of the ex SIL's attendance so she stayed away so as not to allow the ex to create a fuss.

11. Forg

Forg Member

Jan 25, 2017
    That is interesting; everyone seems to say QF has a very smart booking system don't they (to the airline's advantage - not necessarily to passengers')?
    As a higher level FF you're way more likely to be aware of the possibility, and she's less likely to be aware of it, so they're not SPAMming you with emails about stuff you already know. :)