Call for frequent flyers to skip airport checks | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Call for frequent flyers to skip airport checks

Status
Not open for further replies.

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
Hmm - interesting article - I am not sure I agree. For me personally because I fly a lot I know how to get through security relatively quickly. I dont mind teh security checkes but I would ratehr not be stuck behind people who dont remember to take laptops out of bags, are still wearing chunky metal belts etc. - so a separate line for QF SG and above might be good :) Everything for me goes in one pocket in my bag for ease of replacement.

What I would prefer to see is better segregation at immigration for frequent travellers who arent elligble for APEC cards ;)
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,872
Can't say I am a fan of Max-the-axe, but this does seem a sensible idea. I'd be happy to submit details about myself so that I could get easier security clearance at airports.
 

SeatBackForward

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 20, 2006
Messages
3,684
Flights
My Map
Obviously, a person who wants to cause harm, wouldn't think about flying regularly before hand...

This is silly. Just as they were providing metal knives in business class despite the knife bans - "because terrorists would never fly business class"
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
SeatBackForward said:
Obviously, a person who wants to cause harm, wouldn't think about flying regularly before hand...
Exactly my thought. There is no reason to assume that someone who has flown a lot is less of a risk.

If proper checks are being performed on those requesting the access , then I can see it as reasonable

I don't see that there is a need for it; at domestic security points I don't tend to find much of an issue with queues and at international, if they want to assist frequent travellers, they could just reinstate the separate queues at immigration for premium class and high tier FF members who are not APEC cardholders . Once past the immigration point, I haven't tended to find much of a queue at the security point

Dave
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,799
Flights
My Map
Dave Noble said:
Exactly my thought. There is no reason to assume that someone who has flown a lot is less of a risk.

If proper checks are being performed on those requesting the access , then I can see it as reasonable

I don't see that there is a need for it; at domestic security points I don't tend to find much of an issue with queues and at international, if they want to assist frequent travellers, they could just reinstate the separate queues at immigration for premium class and high tier FF members who are not APEC cardholders . Once past the immigration point, I haven't tended to find much of a queue at the security point

Dave
And who says someone has to fly a lot to get themselves a shiny coloured FF membership card. I scored AA Plat in just one flight. And QF Platimum can be bought for around $10,000.
 

SeatBackForward

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 20, 2006
Messages
3,684
Flights
My Map
Look at the history of terrorism recently. The majority of terrorist acts have been committed by those who had totally clean records and weren't being pursued by the authorities.

Even doing a background check when you apply to faster security screening, still leaves the door open for someone with a clean record to then go on and commit the violence.

You can spend a lot of resources and a lot of time trying to pre-empt these guys, but at the end of the day the best deterrent is to not give them a reason to commit violence in the first place. And there is NO simple solution to that one.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,799
Flights
My Map
Dave Noble said:
Can get it for half of that if desired

Dave
Yes, but not without some means or need to visit some place like TIP :p . But my point is that it can be bought for not a huge amount of money if someone really wants to use FF status to their advantage.
 

Mal

AFF Supporter
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,266
Flights
My Map
Yeah, I tend to think all pax should go through the same security screening (security, not immigration etc).

"status" pax can be given faster lines, but they should still go through the same security inspections.
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,162
I think everyone should go through the same security screening.

The only people that should receive special treatment should be pilots and crew by continuing to be allowed to go the front of the queue yet going through the same security screening as everyone else.
 
R

Ray Carty

Dave Noble said:
Exactly my thought. There is no reason to assume that someone who has flown a lot is less of a risk.

If proper checks are being performed on those requesting the access , then I can see it as reasonable

I don't see that there is a need for it; at domestic security points I don't tend to find much of an issue with queues and at international, if they want to assist frequent travellers, they could just reinstate the separate queues at immigration for premium class and high tier FF members who are not APEC cardholders . Once past the immigration point, I haven't tended to find much of a queue at the security point

Dave
Interesting point Dave.
The Islamic terrorist, Ramzi Yousef who planted the World Trade Centre bomb in 1993 escaped from the USA to Pakistan as a First Class passenger. He had discovered that First Class passengers received less scutiny than those on coach class.

Regards Ray
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Ray Carty said:
Interesting point Dave.
The Islamic terrorist, Ramzi Yousef who planted the World Trade Centre bomb in 1993 escaped from the USA to Pakistan as a First Class passenger. He had discovered that First Class passengers received less scutiny than those on coach class.

Regards Ray
I wasn't suggesting that they have a lower standard of checks for premium passengers, just that they have a separate queue for them ( such as previously offered at some airports in Australia )

Dave
 

pacblue

Intern
Joined
Dec 2, 2005
Messages
61
Dave Noble said:
I wasn't suggesting that they have a lower standard of checks for premium passengers, just that they have a separate queue for them ( such as previously offered at some airports in Australia )

Dave
Nice thought, but I think those days have gone. I lived in the US for ten years, they had a separate line for PP's - even for while after 9/11 - but no more. Everyone should go through the same checks. No separate lines, no special treatment. It's just the way things are today - the way they have to be. Sad but true.

Pacblue
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
pacblue said:
Nice thought, but I think those days have gone. I lived in the US for ten years, they had a separate line for PP's - even for while after 9/11 - but no more. Everyone should go through the same checks. No separate lines, no special treatment. It's just the way things are today - the way they have to be. Sad but true.

Pacblue
Some places in US (and elsewhere) still do have separate line for premium and elite pax.

Eg LAX (most terminals), SFO (all terminals), YVR, LGA, etc.
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
pacblue said:
Nice thought, but I think those days have gone. I lived in the US for ten years, they had a separate line for PP's - even for while after 9/11 - but no more. Everyone should go through the same checks. No separate lines, no special treatment. It's just the way things are today - the way they have to be. Sad but true.

Pacblue
Even during the recent UK Airports debacle as a J class pax I was still fast tracked to/through security - still underwent the same level of checks. Just no queue to get there. I dont know what it is about outbound immigration in Oz that takes so long. I find its slower to get out of the country than to get in ;)
 

Mal

AFF Supporter
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,266
Flights
My Map
simongr said:
I dont know what it is about outbound immigration in Oz that takes so long. I find its slower to get out of the country than to get in ;)
In SYD, I believe the queue is designed wrongly. Brisbane seems to be better, but of course there are a lot less pax leaving Brisbane!
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
There's nothing worse than a tight dom->int connection at SYD, rush to make the bus between terminals, arrive at int only to turn the corner and see huge immigration queues with the holding area totally full to the brim
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Kiwi Flyer said:
There's nothing worse than a tight dom->int connection at SYD, rush to make the bus between terminals, arrive at int only to turn the corner and see huge immigration queues with the holding area totally full to the brim
Oooh... I dunno. It's nice to see that when holding an APEC card and can see a nice empty APEC queue :)

Dave
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,872
Dave Noble said:
Oooh... I dunno. It's nice to see that when holding an APEC card and can see a nice empty APEC queue :)
But it's not always the case. I've seen the reverse - a queue at the APEC counter and virtually empty in the main section.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
81,597
Messages
1,884,251
Members
49,491
Latest member
Gaphjam
Top