Cabin fever: plane toxic fume fears | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Cabin fever: plane toxic fume fears

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnK

AFF Supporter
That smell wasn't because the person next you did not shower during transit.

ninemsn said:
Cabin fever

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The air circulation system in passenger jets may be putting all on board at risk from toxic fumes. Pilots have been paralysed and crew and passengers seriously affected, yet the airlines remain in denial. By Ross Coulthart.

Next time you fly, sniff the air you are breathing in the cabin. If you smell a cheesy, musty, smelly socks odour then the strong advice of University of NSW toxicologist Professor Chris Winder is that you get off that plane immediately - although that might be difficult if you're at 20,000 feet.

Staying on board may expose you to dangerous fumes which, in the short-term, can cause headaches, nausea, dizziness, loss of concentration, blurred vision, and even temporary paralysis (God forbid you are the pilot). Long-term effects reported include chronic fatigue, chemical sensitivity and even suspected brain damage among flight crew and passengers.

So why aren't the travelling public being warned?

More...

Evan

Established Member
Seem that BAE146 gets a good mention and not a lot else.
Regardless we know it can happen on others.

Good news is that new planes like 787 are not using bleed air systems now :)

E

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I can certainly remember flying several BaE 146 flights that clearly had vapours of something wafting through the cabin. Certainly not something I have noticed on other aircraft though.

straitman

Flights
My Map
oz_mark said:
I can certainly remember flying several BaE 146 flights that clearly had vapours of something wafting through the cabin. Certainly not something I have noticed on other aircraft though.
Certainly a known issue in the pointy end world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Trainor