Blue Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

XYZ

Amex have today launched their new Blue Sky credit card allowing you to earn points and redeem points for flights with fewer restrictions on availability. Discounted redemption deal until 2009.

American Express

Zone Points required Maximum flight value
– AUD
1 16,000 (plus taxes) $300 (plus taxes)
2 24,000 (plus taxes) $400 (plus taxes)
3 42,000 (plus taxes) $650 (plus taxes)
4 80,000 (plus taxes) $1350 (plus taxes)​
Redeem your points before 01 January 2009 for a flight to pay only half the number of points
usually required:​
Zone Points required Maximum flight value
1 8,000 (plus taxes) $300 (plus taxes)
2 12,000 (plus taxes) $400 (plus taxes)
3 21,000 (plus taxes) $650 (plus taxes)
4 40,000 (plus taxes) $1350 (plus taxes)​

Its probably best to redeem on a flight which cost as near to the maximum value to benefit....... as 80,000 points for a single syd-bkk is quite uncompetitive! Unless you do syd-bkk on J of F and pay the actual fare less $1350! Therefore $1350 = 80,000 points.

Boo, it looks like its only economy seats.

Seems like pretty poor value to me though :(

aahh only economy seats????? sorry didnt read it properly!

then It's quite poor value even at the special up to 2009!

Why is it poor value?

For example SYD-BKK return need 40,000 points return under the promo, compared to 60,000 with normal Qantas Frequent Flyer program.

Compared to cards where rates are 1 point per dollar then seems okay. If you compare to cards where rates are 1.333 points per dollar or above, then not so good.

But if you consider the fact that it is very very very hard to use points when you want with Qantas Frequent Flyer, and you can use any airline under any economy fare class with Blue Sky, then Blue Sky is okay?

Do I understand correctly?

Also interesting to note the targetting advertising letter from AMEX on this site. Maybe someone in Marketing there actually reads our posts. All businesses should do similar if they want to be customer centric.

Last edited:
mileagemax said:
Also interesting to note the targetting advertising letter from AMEX on this site. Maybe someone in Marketing there actually reads our posts. All businesses should do similar if they want to be customer centric.

The 'letter' from Amex certainly says they do review what is said here. Actually, I find it quite an interesting structure for a rewards program, but haven't worked out its value (or otherwise) for me.

I thought you could only choose the destination and date, but not airline or time of departure.

Having a look at the AMEX website... It would appear that this new Blue Sky Card has replaced the Rewards Maximizer??

I can no longer see that card in their product portfolio on the compare cards page!!!

kyle said:
I thought you could only choose the destination and date, but not airline or time of departure.

Correct!!!

Can I pick the airline that I want to fly on?
No. The Membership Travel Services agent will pick the airline on which you will fly from a range of reputable domestic and international airlines based on airline availability.

Can I pick the exact time/flight that I want?
No. However, you can nominate the day that you want to fly and when flying to domestic Capital Cities whether you would like to fly in the morning (AM) or the afternoon/evening (PM) and we will endeavor to find you a suitable flight based on availability.

...and my favourite Question/Answer...

I want to redeem my points for a flight to Melbourne. Are you going to make me fly into Avalon?
No, all flights will be to/from the major airport of each destination.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back