Big purchases on Amex - e.g. cars | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Big purchases on Amex - e.g. cars

Isochronous

Established Member
Flights
My Map
I remember there was discussion a few years ago about using Amex to pay for large purchases like cars and that there used to be a page on the Amex website where you could fill in a form and Amex would arrange a one-off lowered interchange rate for that large purchase to help persuade the merchant to take Amex. Anyone know if that still exists?

With the current effective 4% cashback offer this could be very useful!

albyd

Established Member
Merchant rates have become much more reasonable. I'm in the process of buying a new car. The dealer BMW Sydney has offered 1.3% AMEX rate so it's a reasonable profit margin on the purchase with the current AMEX offer. Last time I bought from them they were quoting something like 3.6% which I thought was absolutely ludicrous and I kept my AMEX in my wallet.

Tallfont

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Silver
Flights
My Map
I bought a new Mercedes-Benz in Perth in January. The dealer was quite happy to accept an initial deposit on AMEX of whatever I wanted with no surcharge. I placed $5000 on the AMEX and paid another $10,000 of my own when I picked the vehicle up. With the trade that brought the figure to finance where I wanted it.
I now wish I had put the whole $15,000 on AMEX in the first place!

samh004

Enthusiast
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
I bought two cars mid-last year. Gave AMEX a call first to let them know that I would be doing so and was advised to put them through one at a time, paying the balance off in-between. Seemed acceptable to me and worked out great for my points balance. The only party surprised that I was using an AMEX was the dealer who couldn't get his head around why I would accept a surcharge on such a purchase when I had the cash. I honestly can't remember what it was but was around 1.X% maybe.

Picked up close to 150k points... would have been incredible if I was buying now!

baldman

Intern
Merchant rates have become much more reasonable. I'm in the process of buying a new car. The dealer BMW Sydney has offered 1.3% AMEX rate so it's a reasonable profit margin on the purchase with the current AMEX offer. Last time I bought from them they were quoting something like 3.6% which I thought was absolutely ludicrous and I kept my AMEX in my wallet.
Does the Amex extended warranty of up to an extra 12 months apply to motor vehicles ?

albyd

Established Member
Does the Amex extended warranty of up to an extra 12 months apply to motor vehicles ?
I’m not sure that would be great though. My understanding of reading the T&Cs a very long time ago is that it doesn’t apply to motor vehicles. I’d be keen to know if someone has the answer.

Daver6

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
I’m not sure that would be great though. My understanding of reading the T&Cs a very long time ago is that it doesn’t apply to motor vehicles. I’d be keen to know if someone has the answer.
From https://www.americanexpress.com/content/dam/amex/au/benefits/Platinum/PlatinumInsurance.pdf

Excluded specifically "boats, automobiles, motor boats, airplanes and any other motorised vehicles and their integral parts". Additionally the purchase price must be under $20k.

albyd

Established Member
shame :(thought I’d read something similar a long time ago.

Anyone bought real estate on Amex? Might be worth it for such a big ticket purchase if you’ve got the cash. Same for stamp duty if they’ll give you banking details to make your payment into or your solicitor will accept the deposit into trust and then pay the stamp duty for you.

blacksultan

shame :(thought I’d read something similar a long time ago.

Anyone bought real estate on Amex? Might be worth it for such a big ticket purchase if you’ve got the cash. Same for stamp duty if they’ll give you banking details to make your payment into or your solicitor will accept the deposit into trust and then pay the stamp duty for you.
I paid the entire deposit but there was a surcharge . Commonly accepted .

daft009

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
I only managed to pay the stamp duty to revenue NSW directly, bank then reimbursed me for the same amount

Infrequent traveller

I paid recently on my AMEX Charge via RewardPay on an exceptional business expense to get close to 360k MR points under the current "double points" special offer. Had to pay around A$1600 (net of GST) but find it well worth it - I think I can get arounD A$4K value simply by using "points to pay" under current offer?! :)

RightSaidFred

Am about to make a decent $35k payment for a new car to be used for business. Does the Qantas Business Rewards card qualify to make such a payment? The dealership certainly has an option to pay via AmEx @2.55%.

Would going via RewardPay or AmEx FX Pay be any better or legal at all?

daft009

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Am about to make a decent $35k payment for a new car to be used for business. Does the Qantas Business Rewards card qualify to make such a payment? The dealership certainly has an option to pay via AmEx @2.55%.

Would going via RewardPay or AmEx FX Pay be any better or legal at all?
Bluechain at 1.8% till end June

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maria Jessica Ryerson