Beware!! Another surprise from ANZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalen

I had an interesting conversation with ANZ this morning. As my billing date is the 18th I asked what the point changes would mean to my account.

The reply. As I had already spent MORE than $1500 (my new limit for 1:1)by 31st October, I receive NO MORE points at 1:1 until I reach the 19th November. Was this clear to anyone else?

I had thought, as the changes took place on 31st this would apply by calender month or billing month after that that.

Since then I have spoken to another Customer Service Person, a team leader and the complaints line. My view is this. How can points earned BEFORE the changes be counted toward limits after the 31st October? If the changes commence 1st November then I should have $1500 spend from that date. I was told this was in the terms and conditions, that I might have a different interpretation, but "that's the way it is". So, any spending I have done since 31st October I get 1:2 until I reach my next billing cycle. I believe the letter I received from ANZ saying the changes were NOT RETROSPECTIVE was very misleading in this regard.

The complaints line number is 1800 805 154. What will be done depends on the number of complaints.

I am just glad I found out now and not when I got my next statement!

Dalen,
I think you got a valid and reasonable point there. It is better if you send a letter as things put in writing gets more attention than the others.

They may still ignore you, but at least you have done something. If you want to still pursue, a letter to Fair Trading is another option as it would probably come under "misleading advertising" or misrepresentations.

It works better when you send them around 10 letters. You are more likely to get a response.

Good Luck! :wink:

I was also mislead by the literature sent out before the 31st October deadline.

I have been given only 1 point per $2 since that date. I rang to complain and was told to make a formal complaint I should send a letter to:

National Customer Liaison
ANZ Bank
GPO Box 537E
Melbourne VIC 3001

or email: [email protected]

Anyone else who has been surprised, write and complain. We can at least try make a difference. ANZ must be aware it's rewards scheme is looking pretty pale in comparison to others about.

This is part of my complaint letter...

I believe the material sent to Qantas ANZ Visa and Visa Gold customers was misleading and I wish to make a formal complaint.

In letters dated 18th September 2003 and 22 September 2003, I was informed of the new tiered points scheme for my Blue and Gold FF Cards.

In a boxed area this letter says in underlined print "The changes we need to make are not retrospective." Then... "They will have no impact on the Qantas Frequent Flyer Points you have already earned or those you will earn up to 31st October."

Then later "From 31st October, the number of Qantas Frequent Flyer Points you earn will depend on the amount you spend on purchases each monthly statement period."

My interpretation of these statements was that the points/dollars spent up to 31st October would all receive 1 point per dollar. THEN the counter of the 2500 or 1500 dollar spend maximums (depending on the type of card) would start until the end of the statement cycle.

I have now received my statements showing that I have only received 1 point per $2 spent since the 31st October cut off date. I believe the statements were contradictory and misleading.

Please send a letter - they need us more than we need them. They might listen if there are enough complaints.

asdada

janjan said:
I was also mislead by the literature sent out before the 31st October deadline.

I have been given only 1 point per $2 since that date. I rang to complain and was told to make a formal complaint I should send a letter to:

National Customer Liaison
ANZ Bank
GPO Box 537E
Melbourne VIC 3001

or email: [email protected]

Anyone else who has been surprised, write and complain. We can at least try make a difference. ANZ must be aware it's rewards scheme is looking pretty pale in comparison to others about.

This is part of my complaint letter...

I believe the material sent to Qantas ANZ Visa and Visa Gold customers was misleading and I wish to make a formal complaint.

In letters dated 18th September 2003 and 22 September 2003, I was informed of the new tiered points scheme for my Blue and Gold FF Cards.

In a boxed area this letter says in underlined print "The changes we need to make are not retrospective." Then... "They will have no impact on the Qantas Frequent Flyer Points you have already earned or those you will earn up to 31st October."

Then later "From 31st October, the number of Qantas Frequent Flyer Points you earn will depend on the amount you spend on purchases each monthly statement period."

My interpretation of these statements was that the points/dollars spent up to 31st October would all receive 1 point per dollar. THEN the counter of the 2500 or 1500 dollar spend maximums (depending on the type of card) would start until the end of the statement cycle.

I have now received my statements showing that I have only received 1 point per $2 spent since the 31st October cut off date. I believe the statements were contradictory and misleading.

Please send a letter - they need us more than we need them. They might listen if there are enough complaints.

thanks janjan
you saved me 2 hours of thinking

i sent 3 copies of your text in the mail and 1 via email

not that i have noticed anything yet, but what the hell :)

When I spoke to ANZ, I was told that I had my interpretation and the ANZ had a different one. I told them to expect plenty of complaints as statements went out. I hope people take the time to lodge formal complaints as I believe their letter was misleading. Luckily I found out early and didn't use my card until I reached the new cycle, but I am still fuming, as I think they are treating customers terribly.

I sent an email to ANZ.... didn't make any difference..... I closed my card, and they don't care!
No more ANZ for me!

Citibank Platinum now.....

regards,

My letter to ANZ resulted 2 an invite to ANZ Diners Club crd

Below is a letter I sent to ANZ regarding the changes to my ANZ Gold Card.

My main gripe was in losing the point earning power and as a response I was offered the ANZ Diners Club card which has unlimited points, 1 for 1 points on cash advances (NOTE: Daily limit of AU$400, or Weekly of AU$1,000 or Monthly limit of AU$2,000 + AU$4 charge for less then AU$100 or 4% > AU$100), Free first year annual fees (I will get rid of this card after 11 months before I get hit by the AU$150 of charges) and a few other benefits that I can't think of at the moment.

Basically I would have a look at the Am Ex because of the 1.5 points.

Regards
Daniel

14 October 2003

I would just like to officially complain about the changes that have been introduced to my ANZ Qantas Gold Credit Card.

I have been a loyal ANZ customer for over 13 years and have used ANZ for all of my everyday banking needs.

With the recent changes to the Gold credit card, I am appalled at the sheer NUMBER of changes that have been made. There is virtually no difference between a standard credit card and the gold and when you spend the time to analyse the actual differences, they are all negative benefits (ie. they will benefit you if something bad happens to you).

The main problems I see with the changes is...

1. The capping of 2,500 points per month;

2. Introduction of fixed fees to overseas ATM withdrawals;

3. No more fee free accounts;

4. No double point bonus for overseas purchases

I pay $55 a year to be able to earn frequent flyer points with this card and now this is capped to 2,500 a month. I do not get many bonus points so this would equate to 30,000 points per year for $30,000 expenditure and then only half points beyond that to a maximum cap of an additional 45,000 points ($7,500 * 12 * 0.5).

I average just over the $2,500 per month limit and it would be cheaper for me to apply for my Corporate diners Club card and pay the $22 a year to have unrestricted, uncapped Qantas points all year around.

In regards to point 2. How is this the result of the RBA's decision and what additional benefit do you get compared to the number of very annoyed Gold CC holders such as myself.

Point 3. I have been told a few stories the last few weeks and initially I was informed that I would not be getting charged my Savings account fees until my card expires next year and not, in a recent letter dated 9th October 2003, I get told that it WILL happen. Luckily I read it as I had to change my account type to the restrictive fee free one.

Point 4. As with Point 2, how is this going to significantly help the bottom line compared to the purpose of having the only credit card that directly imports points into the QANTAS FF system. If this card is supposed to imply some sort of international/travelling brand to it, removing the double points will only hurt the brand.

ANZ used to have a great product and I used to be one of your main supporters but now, I don't know. I will see how things pan out with this new card and reaccess it at the end of the year.

Regards

Daniel <Surname>

Disappointed Customer

When I pointed out this inconsistancy and that their brochure clearly says three times (if I remember rightly) that it starts from 31st october, I was credited with 2,000 extra points as a "goodwill guesture".

Even so, when I checked back, I average around $5k a month on the card so went to Amex. Last month, ANZ got $38.50 - only because I forgot to close a DD. What do they charge merchants - 3%? Well, that cost 'em $150 - and that equates to $1,800 loss of income for ANZ over the year. Yum!

It's a hassle closing the card though since all our internet banking is accessed through it - and we would have to reset everything up. Might as well move banks -it's about the same amount of work.

There's a Bendigo community bank starting up the road in Feb 04. We'll hold off 'til then, and then ANZ not only loose a couple of Credit Cards, but the accounts for our two companies, our personal accounts and our homeloan. That should be at least another $10k off ANZ's bottom line.

OK, on a multibillion $ profit, it's a drop in the ocean - but if enough of us do it......

Peter

"Hello sailor"
(I've always wanted to say that to someone) :oops:

OK, on a multibillion $ profit, it's a drop in the ocean - but if enough of us do it......

CONGRATULATIONS :!: I truely believe that you are doing the right thing here. As I mentioned on another of these forums, it's time more of us voted with our feet rather than just beating our gums about it.

I'm doing it too... just waiting to work out which alternative I'll take, but have transferred day-to-day spending to an alternative card. Clearly ANZ have worked out that the interchange fee changes make the existing system less financially rewarding, and are happy to lose customers.

Interesting thing to note in my Qantas FF account

With all these 'things' happening to our accounts back on October 31, 2003. I noticed a few funny things...

1. I withdrew HK$5000 from a Hong Kong ATM on Nov 18 and was charged AU$5 transaction fee and on the same day was credited back the AU$5. This is as to be expected as I am an ANZ Gold Card member but I thought this 'privilage' was to be dropped on October 31.

Later transactions on Nov 24 and onwards just got the AU$5 fee. I didn't get my refund. :-(

2. Although I spent AU$4,500 on a Qantas flight on Nov 8th, I ended up with...

Nov 14 = 1,907 points
Dec 14 = 8,507 points

I can't for the life of me figure out how I got the 8,507 points. I think that I may have been awarded the full amount for my plane ticket, added in with some bonus points and my normal spending.

I suspect that for some, because of the monthly nature of their cards, may only be hit with the new fees and charges on the day of their next cycle onwards. I think my cycle must be around the 20th of the month so any transactions before that was covered under the 'normal' rules.

Can anyone substantiate this? (Not that it really matters now but a friend of mine was recently ripped off his points for charges in late October. He has since complained and got his points back.)

Regards
Daniel

Hooray!

ANZ have stuck to their guns about the legitimacy of their "October 31st actually means the whole of your monthly statement cycle around that date" stance.

I am disappointed about that as by my reckoning I am owed 1200 points for the spend before this cutoff date.

However, ANZ have given me 1000 points as a goodwill gesture because I took the trouble of writing to them!

So it WAS worth it.

Damn! it took a while to finally get out of ANZ!
Would you believe.... Citibank actually sent a 'balance transfer' cheque to ANZ via ordinary 'snail mail' (this was for well over $10,000.) ..... it took ANZ over three weeks to deposit and clear that cheque! So, I wound up with a late fee, and additional month's interest..... because I thought..... any day now, any day now...... "where's my bl**dy cheque?"
While I was in my old branch, dealing with a 'customer service officer'.... I think they were getting ready to call in the SPG (State Protection Group - NSW elite tactical cops)..... I was just a tad aggro!
I couldn't believe, that both Citibank and ANZ could not account for where this cheque was for three weeks!
Eventually, Citibank cancelled the first cheque, and said they'd 'fix it up' quickly for me. Within five working days, the funds were not only in the ANZ account (to pay it out), but 'cleared' as well!

Whilst in the branch, the CSO asked me to speak with a 'retention officer'. (cough or bladder.... I wondered!)

The only 'deal' they offered me, was to reverse the recent late fee. No special interest, nor FF points. Nothing.

So, that's finally it for me with ANZ..... I even cancelled my car and house insurance from them!

*** FREE AT LAST ***

Thankyou guys for the posts regarding ANZ.

It's great to see people standing up for what they believe in. I only wish my problem with them was with frequent flyer points and not evictions.

Thanks for the inspiration to fight when somethings not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back