Best way to get Altitude Points to United | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Best way to get Altitude Points to United

Status
Not open for further replies.

alien

Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2002
Messages
281
Flights
My Map
Hi All,

I'm trying to find out the best way to utilise my Altitude points on my RTW trip in September which is with United on the *A network. Trip is paid for and I would like to try and get upgrades from economy H to Business for the Aust to US leg.

I can transfer points to Airpoints, Enrich and QFF from Altitude

I have 355,589 Altitude points which allows me to transfer:

355,200 = 2,522 Airpoints
355,500 = 301,932 Enrich
355,500 = 301,932 Frequent Flyer

I've checked the *A and it would appear I can't use Airpoints on United :(

I'm a member of:

KrisFlyer (0)
Milage Plus (100 miles)
Airpoints (0)
Velocity (43,526 points)

Any advice/assistance in trying to overcome the issue I have would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Alien
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,678
Flights
My Map
alien said:
I've checked the *A and it would appear I can't use Airpoints on United :(
Why not? Not that I have done it, but can't you redeem Airpoints for a Star Alliance award?
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
oz_mark said:
Why not? Not that I have done it, but can't you redeem Airpoints for a Star Alliance award?
The OP is looking to upgrade on United. As airpoints is not (yet) participating in the *A wide mileage upgrade program, cannot upgrade on UA flights. I don't know whether NZ will join this by the time you travel.

Can you switch your flights to go via AKL (will need to be on NZ flight number not the UA codeshare? 2500 airbucks is more than enough to upgrade to business premier (considered a double upgrade by NZ :evil: ), subject to availability (hint if flying to LAX NZ6 easier to upgrade than NZ2 and mid week easier than Friday through Monday).
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,678
Flights
My Map
Kiwi Flyer said:
The OP is looking to upgrade on United. As airpoints is not (yet) participating in the *A wide mileage upgrade program, cannot upgrade on UA flights. I don't know whether NZ will join this by the time you travel.
Ahh, my bad, I missed that little point.
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,162
Kiwi Flyer said:
Can you switch your flights to go via AKL (will need to be on NZ flight number not the UA codeshare? 2500 airbucks is more than enough to upgrade to business premier (considered a double upgrade by NZ :evil: )
Is the 2500 Airbucks an upgrade for one sector AKL-LAX? Would be a real waste of 355,200 Altitude points.

Those points are enough for two economy RTWs or one business RTW on QF.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
JohnK said:
Is the 2500 Airbucks an upgrade for one sector AKL-LAX? Would be a real waste of 355,200 Altitude points.

Those points are enough for two economy RTWs or one business RTW on QF.
noooo - 2500 is more than enough I said

the amount to upgrade varies depending on if based in NZ or Australia, if upgrading from NZ or from Australia, if upgrading to business or premium economy, if on standby or confirmed basis - which is why I didn't want to go into all this

also points upgrades can be combined with elite upgrade vouchers (eg for airpoints member not based in australia 220 airbucks + 1 elite upgrade voucher is enough to upgrade one way from cheapest economy fare to business premium, on standby basis, for australian based member the 220 is in aussie airbucks - maybe 200?)
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
2500 aussie airbucks is more than enough to upgrade a round trip from NZ to London from the cheapest fare to business premium.

As with QFF, upgrades on NZ scheme are relatively expensive - it may be better value using for awards.
 

alien

Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2002
Messages
281
Flights
My Map
Thanks for the replies guys.

I've searched the Malaysia Airlines site to see if I could find out if you can transfer Enrich points to any other FFP however to no avail.

Does anyone know if its possible?
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,678
Flights
My Map
alien said:
Thanks for the replies guys.

I've searched the Malaysia Airlines site to see if I could find out if you can transfer Enrich points to any other FFP however to no avail.

Does anyone know if its possible?
Don't think so. Frequent Flyer schemes seem to be a general end point for a lot of these things.
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,162
I don't think it is possible to transfer points out of Enrich FFP.

This is generally the trend across most FFPs.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
check out webflyer.com mileage converter (link in post #4) - if the FFP isn't listed then unable to transfer miles out
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,678
Flights
My Map
Kiwi Flyer said:
check out webflyer.com mileage converter (link in post #4) - if the FFP isn't listed then unable to transfer miles out
..and Enrich is not listed as one you can transfer points out of.
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,678
Flights
My Map
shame altitude doesn't have a way of moving points into a hotel prgram. Instead they go the path of buying hotel vouchers.
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,162
Kiwi Flyer said:
check out webflyer.com mileage converter (link in post #4) - if the FFP isn't listed then unable to transfer miles out
There are maybe 4 or 5 US based programs listed on that website.

With most FFPs you are unable to transfer miles/points out!
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
JohnK said:
There are maybe 4 or 5 US based programs listed on that website.

With most FFPs you are unable to transfer miles/points out!
I see 6 US based and 3 other north american based programs (not counting credit cards and hotels). While your generalisation is true overall, it is not true when considering USA/north american programs.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
81,587
Messages
1,883,776
Members
49,485
Latest member
iamolhaaaa
Top