best use of points

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowtown

Any one got any thoughts on the best use of AMEX points?

What do you buy or which partner do you transfer points to?

For me, SPG is normally the first consideration for transfers.

However, the occasional transfer to HHonors does occur.

errr.. what is SPF ? :)

I think serfty mean SPG = Starwood preferred Guest.

Me personally, I am keeping them in my MR Account and will transfer them as required. it all depends on what i need to do with them, but flights tend to go to QF, hotels are on the priority club at the moment, but I'm a SPG member as well. Adn sometimes i'll use amex travelkey to book flights too.

I think serfty mean SPG = Starwood preferred Guest. ...
Yup :oops:

FWIW, I do tend to leave them in MR until I discern a use for them.

My most recent bulk transfer was in relation the 100:60 SPG promo/mistake that finished in late September.

Prior to that, I needed 60K AAdvantage miles and, currently, via SPG is the most effective way to source these from Amex MR.

As with serfty, I keep mine in my account until needed, then usually transfer them to SPG, and occasionally HHonors (or in the case of the last promo, MR->SPG->AA->HHonors :)).

I tend to have enough QFF points from travel now, so I work on making my accommodation free too. :)

Cheers,
- Febs.

As a AMEX plat card holder I accumulate around 200,000 points per year through personal expenditure, not corporate. I have always believed that the best use of these points is to hold them with AMEX until planning a trip, then transfer to whatever airline will have F/F business class seats.

QF want 560,000 classic points for 2 X Oz -Eur return seats, Virgin Atlantic (VS) 320,000 points and MAS 320,000. However it is almost impossible to get QF F/F seats up front, whereas recently we got for June 2009 2 X seats VS and for March 2009 2 X MAS, both on one phone call each. Have flown with both, and VS seats, service, food etc. are far better than QF and the staff seem so enthusiastic to have you aboard - QF staff make you feel grateful for being allowed on board.

MAS just as good as QF but during the compulsorily long stopover in KUL they supply an all-day room at the best KUL airport hotel - when did Qf ever supply anything at a scheduled stopover ? QF will not discuss any F/F booking unless enough points are actually in the flyer's QFF account - VS and MAS will hold seats until xfr is completed. It just goes on and on with the differences.

Have flown with both, and VS seats, service, food etc. are far better than QF and the staff seem so enthusiastic to have you aboard - QF staff make you feel grateful for being allowed on board.

That's interesting to hear. I've decided to change on my next business trip RTW to VS Upper Class for SYD-LHR and LHR-JFK. Never tried it before so will be eager to see the differences from QF & BA J Class.

I didn't mention the lounge - in SYD VS use AirNz lounge. Food, drinks etc far better than QF lounge, in LHR VS have possibly the best J class lounge in the world. All free, including champagne bar, restaurant, deli counter, games area, beauty salon - it just goes on and on. Staff wait on you, bring drinks and food - seen any of that at BA J class lounge which QF use at LHR. VS have on-board massages, and seats have direct access to aisle - no stepping over aisle seat passengers. Vs actually have a genuine full bar, with bar stools, attendants serving during flight etc. We have even had dinner at the bar when flights are not full, and you can stay in fully flat bed for take-off and landing, wearing VS supplied pj's.

In LAX QF use AA lounge - drinks are charged, free food is very minimal.
In HKG VS lounge is their own, includes restaurant, staff bring drinks and food.

In LHR VS have possibly the best J class lounge in the world. All free, including champagne bar, restaurant, deli counter, games area, beauty salon - it just goes on and on.

This is definitely one thing I'm very keen to see, I've heard it is simply amazing compared to other J lounges!

I also leave my points until I need to travel, then try to find I/J class tickets to wherever I'm headed. QF is too difficult to find available flights at short notice, although the new anyseat option is interesting (but need a lot of points, and from early 2009 we won't be able to transfer stockpiled points).

So far I've used VS to book two return flights for two people on SQ. As mentioned earlier, there is no need to have the points in the VS account - they are happy to search for flights first, unlike QF. And the taxes MEL-SIN return where only around $60pp; in comparison QF charged me $250pp for a similar redemption from QFF points.

There is a problem with SQ not allowing redemption from other star alliance partners into business class A380/777-300ER flights. From Melbourne, that limits it to the 747 and 777-300 flights, and if they continue to replace the older planes, it could restrict the flexibility.

I'm quite happy with the Platinum CC - the 1.5 points per dollar means that I get at least a return business class flight for two to SE Asia every year, just from my personal spending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back