Best seats on the Longreach 747-400 (56J/356Y) | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Best seats on the Longreach 747-400 (56J/356Y)

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmy2000

Newbie
Joined
Oct 17, 2006
Messages
9
Hello!

I´m coming back to Brisbane from Frankfurt next month and are wondering were the best seats are located on the QF6 747! For me it´s important to have a window and lots of legroom of course. I´m thinking about taking 58a/k (Emergency exit) or 26a/k. Which seats would be better?

Does the exit seat really restrict your legroom because of the
protruding slide? Will this seat be allocated to me without any problems at checkin in Frankfurt when turning up at first? I´m a pretty tall guy too without any "disabilities".

Thanks for your help... TIM
 

timmy2000

Newbie
Joined
Oct 17, 2006
Messages
9
I don´t think i´ve got one! I just recently joined Qantas Frequent flyer programm. My membership type is bronze. So this shouldnt help me, or does it??? Thanks...
 

garyjohn951

Active Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
561
It means if the higher tier QF flyers prebook those seats you have no chance at all
 

Shano

Established Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2006
Messages
1,229
Flights
My Map
If you are after lots of legroom then avoid the A/K seats in the exit rows. They are severley restricted by the door/slide. I personally would rather a non-exit row seat than have to sit in the A/K seats in the exit row.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Shano said:
If you are after lots of legroom then avoid the A/K seats in the exit rows. They are severley restricted by the door/slide. I personally would rather a non-exit row seat than have to sit in the A/K seats in the exit row.
I'd basically agree there. Having a window and lots of legroom just doesnt go together on the QF744s. For legroom, then the aisle seats at 29C or 46/58 C or H are the ones to go for

The chance of getting them will be dependant upon whether there are any Platinum members that have pre-selected them or anyone checking in ahead at FRA or connecting into the flight from elsewhere has already nabbed them of course

Dave
 

Optics

Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Messages
321
Hi, a related question for the team of experts frequenting this board :) .

I have just booked award flights on QF from MEL-LAX return (QF 93/94) next Sep/Oct, and as there are 4 of us travelling (me, wife, 2 daughters 9 and 13), the points did not stretch far enough for J, even if 4 J award seats would have been available. I am WP, and have been booked into seat 34C, with the family in 35 A-C. 34C seems to be a good bet for my long legs, but would anyone recommend something different? There are caveats on Seat Guru re the noise from the galley etc, but I think the leg room is more important.

Also, what are peoples thoughts on me trying to upgrade wife/self to J, and leaving the kids in Y? Do the FAs provide good service to kids travelling alone? Would people consider this to be rude?

I am travelling the same flights in Dec for work in J, and have booked my favourite seat, 16A for both flights. This is heaven, but pity I can't quite manage this for the family holiday :( .

Thanks for any thoughts.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,806
Flights
My Map
Optics said:
I am WP, and have been booked into seat 34C, with the family in 35 A-C. 34C seems to be a good bet for my long legs, but would anyone recommend something different? There are caveats on Seat Guru re the noise from the galley etc, but I think the leg room is more important.
There are no good economy seats! All will have you cramped or suffer from noise/light/smell from galley/lavs.

One thing I found when travelling long-haul with children was the benefit of being able to life the arm-rest to allow the kids to lie with their head on an adult's lap. You cannot do that with a bulk-head or exit row.

Another option is to go for two rows of AB or JK at the rear where the seating is 2x4x2. You can then alternate between the kids together in one row or adult+child in each row. Nobody is left by themselves (through that might be part of you idea behind the current allocations :D ).
Optics said:
Also, what are peoples thoughts on me trying to upgrade wife/self to J, and leaving the kids in Y? Do the FAs provide good service to kids travelling alone? Would people consider this to be rude?
You cannot "upgrade" an award flight. So you would have to cancel and rebook as business class, costing you 5000 points "re-issue" fee per ticket.

I would not have a problem with someone doing this with children of the age you note. I would not like to see it done with very young children. But only you know how your children will cope. My 10, 12, 14 yo kids would love the adventure of travelling "alone". But a few years back they may not have coped as well.
Optics said:
I am travelling the same flights in Dec for work in J, and have booked my favourite seat, 16A for both flights. This is heaven, but pity I can't quite manage this for the family holiday :( .
I know how you feel. Most of my trans-Pacific flights are in J, but when the family took on a an ATW award itinerary, it was all in Y. But for me, just being on a vacation and being with my family made all the difference. I took out a Partner Qantas Club membership for Mrs NM (she was not Partner Gold then) so we have no problems with lounge access for the family.
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,218
Optics said:
Also, what are peoples thoughts on me trying to upgrade wife/self to J, and leaving the kids in Y? Do the FAs provide good service to kids travelling alone? Would people consider this to be rude?
You can't upgrade award bookings! Unless you meant you will cancel existing award booking and try to get a new award booking in J.

I think the FA's would look after the children well. If you do leave them alone, I hope your children are good travellers and do not require supervision. It would not look very good, especially on the parents, if they are misbehaving while you are seated up front.
 

Optics

Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Messages
321
NM said:
There are no good economy seats! All will have you cramped or suffer from noise/light/smell from galley/lavs.

One thing I found when travelling long-haul with children was the benefit of being able to life the arm-rest to allow the kids to lie with their head on an adult's lap. You cannot do that with a bulk-head or exit row.

Another option is to go for two rows of AB or JK at the rear where the seating is 2x4x2. You can then alternate between the kids together in one row or adult+child in each row. Nobody is left by themselves (through that might be part of you idea behind the current allocations :D ).

You cannot "upgrade" an award flight. So you would have to cancel and rebook as business class, costing you 5000 points "re-issue" fee per ticket.

I would not have a problem with someone doing this with children of the age you note. I would not like to see it done with very young children. But only you know how your children will cope. My 10, 12, 14 yo kids would love the adventure of travelling "alone". But a few years back they may not have coped as well.

I know how you feel. Most of my trans-Pacific flights are in J, but when the family took on a an ATW award itinerary, it was all in Y. But for me, just being on a vacation and being with my family made all the difference. I took out a Partner Qantas Club membership for Mrs NM (she was not Partner Gold then) so we have no problems with lounge access for the family.
Thanks NM. I understand there are no good Y seats. It really has been many years since I have had to travel international in Y, so I am not looking forward to it. But I agree, the fact I will have my family with me for a change, and will staty for more than a couple of days, more than makes up for it.

The option of 2 rows of 2 at the rear is interesting, although I do like to get out early, especially when exiting in LAX. Being last in the immigration line is no fun.

Yes I know about the 5,000 point penalty, but it may be worthwhile. I haven't made up my mind yet on cancelling and booking J.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,806
Flights
My Map
Optics said:
The option of 2 rows of 2 at the rear is interesting, although I do like to get out early, especially when exiting in LAX. Being last in the immigration line is no fun.
That is the very reason I don't take that option. But for some people its not a problem and they consider it a great way to survive the sardine tin.
 

Optics

Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Messages
321
NM said:
That is the very reason I don't take that option. But for some people its not a problem and they consider it a great way to survive the sardine tin.
I tend to agree with you, but I will check with SWMBO and gauge her thoughts on the relative merits of the options.
 

timmy2000

Newbie
Joined
Oct 17, 2006
Messages
9
But does anyone have a pic of the 58a/k seat? I was sitting there on a JAL flight in 2003 and I thought they were okay! Maybe QF have cramped more rows in so that you sit right in front of the door.

I´d love to see a pic of these particular seats!!!!! :p
 

timmy2000

Newbie
Joined
Oct 17, 2006
Messages
9
This is seat 46a. The one without a window. It looks good to me. Has the 58a have the same room?

 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,218
timmy2000 said:
But does anyone have a pic of the 58a/k seat? I was sitting there on a JAL flight in 2003 and I thought they were okay! Maybe QF have cramped more rows in so that you sit right in front of the door.
Don't have picture of seat but I guess you have seen the seat map from QF website?
 

garyjohn951

Active Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
561
If you book 58b or 58j, or the same in 46, unless the flight is actually bood totally out the A and K seats are the last to be booked, therefore 9 times out of 10 tou will have a spare seat next to you
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
timmy2000 said:
yeah! but do you think the 58a has the same room available as 46a shown on the pic?
58A is just the same as 46A ... both I would avoid if the C is available. Window is nice, comfort is better

Dave
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,554
Flights
My Map
Travelled MEL/HKG and back this week with wife, Daughter & Niece (14&13). Originally had QF29 and QF188 and had preallocated 35G and 35H/J/K for QF29 and 23/24-J/K for QF188 (333).

However, a month or so ago Qantas canned the QF188 thru to MEL so were rebooked on QF30. My preferred row 34 config was already preallocated so was able to get 58J/K & 59J/K; flew them on Monday.

Note you have to be SG/WP/CL to get pre-allocated 35H or exit row seats (on request).

IMO, 35H is the best seat on these 3 class 744s. There is only crew rest in front and you are near the pointy end. Better than any bulkhead row 34 seats.

I sat in 58K and would not reccommend it for a flight where you wished to sleep; OK for the QF30 Day flight. My 6' just fit. Mrs serfty in 58J was quite impressed with the exit row and space.
 
Last edited:

timmy2000

Newbie
Joined
Oct 17, 2006
Messages
9
But to me it really looks like enough room on the pic. I´m 1,93m and i really really wanna have a window without being restricted in getting up whenever I want. And: another advantage is, that you get heaps more to drink because you can talk to the stewardesses in front of you during the start. I´m actually looking forward to my first ginger beer since ages. Do you think they´ll have on board on qf6 from FRA to SIN???
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...

Community Statistics

Threads
81,978
Messages
1,895,689
Members
49,820
Latest member
Dajan
Top