Best seat in the house. | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Best seat in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

v8Statesman

Established Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
2,199
Flights
My Map
I am flying on QF360 from NRT-BNE in J. I went to seatguru, but JAL has no listing there :(.

Has oneone flown J on a JAL 743? What should I expect? What are good seats?
 
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Messages
349
Hello v8Statesman,

What date are you flying QF360 NRT-BNE on? I'll see if I can get the seat configuration for that day.

A friend is flying BNE-NRT around Christmas and has the S05 configured 747-300 (Y on upperdeck, C in Zone A etc.). There is the chance you may get the S03 configured 743 with J on the upperdeck.

If I can get a date from you, that will help in determining seat config and possibly where best to sit.

Rgds,
Wunala Dreaming
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,807
Flights
My Map
v8Statesman said:
Thanks for that. I am flying 26 FEB 07
According to Expertlfyer seat maps, that date the J cabin is rows 1-5 for the QF codeshare and rows 1-5 plus 6-9 for the LJ flight number. Appears to be 2x2x2 on the lower deck to me.

However, the seat map is not showing any upper deck seats.
 
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Messages
349
Thanks v8Statesman

At this stage it is showing as the S05 configuration (Economy on upper deck), although don't count on getting this, as it could change anytime - i.e. may even change to a 747-400 with F.

If you can remember to PM me or bump this thread closer to your flight, I will find out again and let you know.

Thanks,
Wunala Dreaming
 

Commuter

Active Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2006
Messages
793
Hmmm, I've flown on that one, but I can't remember much about the seats. It was comfortable enough (I think it was lower deck J class but not too certain - it was near the nose anyway). But the Japanese food was pretty nice. :D
 
Last edited:

maninblack

Established Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2006
Messages
2,303
v8Statesman said:
What are good seats?
The skybeds on QF. Seriously though, the old JAL business class seats are ok. If its a 743 then J class is upstairs and up front in the nose back through to about row 9. Row 7 a&c and k&h, have extra legroom downstairs 7 g&d are the centre seats and these have more legroom too, upstairs the exit row is 19 a&c and k&h with extra legroom.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,807
Flights
My Map
maninblack said:
The skybeds on QF. Seriously though, the old JAL business class seats are ok. If its a 743 then J class is upstairs and up front in the nose back through to about row 9. Row 7 a&c and k&h, have extra legroom downstairs 7 g&d are the centre seats and these have more legroom too, upstairs the exit row is 19 a&c and k&h with extra legroom.
Some JAL 743s have economy on the upper deck as can eb seen from these pictures:

Airliners.net Photos: Japan Airlines - JAL Boeing 747-346
Airliners.net Photos: JALways - Reso`cha Boeing 747-346SR

And here are some shots of the JAL business class seats on their 743s:

Airliners.net Photos: Japan Airlines - JAL Boeing 747-346
Airliners.net Photos: JALways - Reso`cha Boeing 747-346
 

Commuter

Active Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2006
Messages
793
v8Statesman,

Just wondered - do you know if the flight operated by JAL mainline or by JALways?
 

v8Statesman

Established Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
2,199
Flights
My Map
Flight: QF 360 Operated by Japan Airlines Departure:Tokyo Narita Terminal 2Date: Mon 26 Feb 07Time: 21: 30 Arrival: Brisbane International terminalDate: Tue 27 Feb 07Time: 07: 10 Meal: Refreshment / Meal Stopover: - Total duration: 8h 40m Aircraft type: 747-300
 

maninblack

Established Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2006
Messages
2,303
NM said:
Some JAL 743s have economy on the upper deck as can eb seen from these pictures:
Not the ones I went on, I think those are JALways pictures. Anyway if it's Y upstairs V8 won't be there and I am pretty sure of the seating advice for downstairs.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,807
Flights
My Map
maninblack said:
Not the ones I went on, I think those are JALways pictures. Anyway if it's Y upstairs V8 won't be there and I am pretty sure of the seating advice for downstairs.
The NRT-BNE JL761 flight is operated by JO (JALWays).
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,807
Flights
My Map
v8Statesman said:
Thoes "J" seats look less than inviting? Fair to compare them with QF DOM "J"?
given they have 2x2x2 across the maindeck of a 747, I would suggest that either the seats or the aisles are wider than QF domestic business class where they have 2x2x2 across a 767 and 2x3x2 across an A330. QF has 2x3x2 Skybeds and Dreamtimes across a 747.
 

maninblack

Established Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2006
Messages
2,303
I have travelled in them and they are fine. Do not compare them with QF domestic J, these seats are much bigger, seat size and pitch is at least on par with the QF Dreamtime setup. Row 7 gives you extra legroom.
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
Hi all - just wondering how people compare Welcome to SeatGuru! Your Guide to Airplane Seats and In-flight Amenities to www.seatmaestro.com

I have a flight rtn to NRT in Dec and am on a 333 [seat 3k] on the way there (QF21 on 2/12) and 763 [seat 5k] on the return. I couldnt find a map for the 763 on seatguru but found one (withour comments) on seatmaestro.

The 333 [3k] looks ok on the way there. However I have no idea re the 763 [5k] seat. I think the 763 is a dreamtime seat (so not sure on AC power - I watch TV shows on my laptop rather than IFE mostly) so I am not sure whether to change my seat? expertflyer is showing 2/3/4/5A free as well as 1/2/3/EF

Cheers

S
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,807
Flights
My Map
simongr said:
The 333 [3k] looks ok on the way there. However I have no idea re the 763 [5k] seat. I think the 763 is a dreamtime seat (so not sure on AC power - I watch TV shows on my laptop rather than IFE mostly) so I am not sure whether to change my seat? expertflyer is showing 2/3/4/5A free as well as 1/2/3/EF
3K on the A330-300 is as good as any other window seat. If window is your preference then I would happy to stick with it.

On the 767, it will be 1x2x2 Dreamtime config. If travelling by yourself, then try to get an A seat. Any will do and will be better than the K seats. You get the benefits of aisle and window in one seat.
 

maninblack

Established Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2006
Messages
2,303
simongr said:
Hi all - just wondering how people compare Welcome to SeatGuru! Your Guide to Airplane Seats and In-flight Amenities to www.seatmaestro.com

I have a flight rtn to NRT in Dec and am on a 333 [seat 3k] on the way there (QF21 on 2/12) and 763 [seat 5k] on the return. I couldnt find a map for the 763 on seatguru but found one (withour comments) on seatmaestro.

The 333 [3k] looks ok on the way there. However I have no idea re the 763 [5k] seat. I think the 763 is a dreamtime seat (so not sure on AC power - I watch TV shows on my laptop rather than IFE mostly) so I am not sure whether to change my seat? expertflyer is showing 2/3/4/5A free as well as 1/2/3/EF

Cheers

S
5K on the QF 763 is the last row, window, of business class. 5A is a single seat in the 1x2x2 config of this plane. Older Dreamtime seat, with small personal IFE screen, no laptop power. If you are flying alone then 1-5 A are good seats as they give you a bit of extra space around you. I would go for 2,3 or 4A.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...

Community Statistics

Threads
82,071
Messages
1,898,264
Members
49,905
Latest member
helenr
Top