Best reward CC (not necessarily QF transfer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alect

I already have the Citi free for life Visa. I am thinking of another credit card. What would people suggest as one with the lowest cost and the best rewards program. I am unlikely to be transferring to QF so that xfer rate is not a priority. Would be interested in those cards which provide the greatest variety of rewards and partners and at the best rates. (not asking for much am I?)

Well for me it is the much maligned Diners club.You can redeem in 11 FF programs,all major hotel loyalty programs at rates that are often better than others-eg SPG 2 points=1SPG point.
Value is a problem if you have to pay for the card but i have an affinity card with no annual fee and 1.5 points per dollar spend.
Everyone goes on about acceptance but virtually all hotels,TAs,dept stores,supermarkets and petrol stations accept it and it is only very occas.that i pay a surcharge(and then only if it is no more than visa/mc).I can easily rack up over 100000 points per year.
So example
-I get 0.9375 AA miles per $A spend making it as good as having an american card.
I certainly also have a visa and mc for those occasions it cant be used.

What's the Affinity card? I'd be interested in a card that let me credit to AAdvantage, if it had no annual fee, then the acceptance would be less important to me.

SeaWolf said:
What's the Affinity card? I'd be interested in a card that let me credit to AAdvantage, if it had no annual fee, then the acceptance would be less important to me.
It just means one issued in my case through a professional organisation.Doctors,lawyers,accountants,real estate agents and probably even used car salespeople have one.

drron said:
Well for me it is the much maligned Diners club.You can redeem in 11 FF programs,all major hotel loyalty programs at rates that are often better than others-eg SPG 2 points=1SPG point.
Value is a problem if you have to pay for the card but i have an affinity card with no annual fee and 1.5 points per dollar spend.
Everyone goes on about acceptance but virtually all hotels,TAs,dept stores,supermarkets and petrol stations accept it and it is only very occas.that i pay a surcharge(and then only if it is no more than visa/mc).I can easily rack up over 100000 points per year.
So example
-I get 0.9375 AA miles per $A spend making it as good as having an american card.
I certainly also have a visa and mc for those occasions it cant be used.

Well not sure about affinity cards, but the standard card only gives 1 point per dollar (and 2 points at Bonus partners - most of which I have not even heard of or would never use).

Yeah if I could get an affinity card like that I may go for it purely for the AAdv transfer. If you don't mind, would you be able to PM me what the association is which provides this? I haven't been in Australia for 8 years, but before I left I recall I used to get Law Institute credid card promos for their affinity card...I guess this is something similar?

So notwithstanding the Diner Cluib affinity card (which may or may not be available) what are the other better options for earning points and possibly transferring to AAdv? I have read about Amex rewards maximiser which eaerns can be transferred via SPG for something like .875 miles per MR point. is that correct and the best option out there?

Amax are not activly promoting the maximizer on their web site ate the moment, but you can still apply for one.

As far as point earnings go, IIRC:
  • 1.5 MR points per AUD - >
  • goes to SPG at 330 SPG per 1000 MR point - >
  • goes to AAdvantage at 25K AAdvantage mile per 20K SPG points (< 20K SPG, its 1 for 1)
So $40,405 expenditure can become 25K AAdvantage points with the Maximizer.

So thats 0.61875 AAdvantage point points per AUD expenditure with the Maximzer.

SPG seems like a great way to get points to just about any airline, the list of programs you can transfer to is huge.
Starwood Hotels & Resorts

It's just a shame that it seems the only CC that link with SPG in Aus are Amex and Diners. And even then, the Amex transfer rate is not great.

serfty said:

So 25,000 AA points (with less taxes and charges then to be paid) or 37,880 if you use Diners rather than Amex.

Or 60,607 points to QF.

Or I have been told...but not yet seen that there are occassional conversion specials to Virgin Atlantic of say 20% = 72,729. However even without the 20% the VA burn rates are attractive, but with limited routes.

Last edited:
serfty said:
Amax are not activly promoting the maximizer on their web site ate the moment, but you can still apply for one.

As far as point earnings go, IIRC:
  • 1.5 MR points per AUD - >
  • goes to SPG at 330 SPG per 1000 MR point - >
  • goes to AAdvantage at 25K AAdvantage mile per 20K SPG points (< 20K SPG, its 1 for 1)

That conversion rate is not all that attractive :( I may as well keep my AAdv M/C or SPG Amex from the US and just eat the fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back