Best frequent flyer credit card recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwilliams92a

Hi Everyone!

I have been thinking of getting a Qantas frequent flyer credit card, especially with the new bonus point offers.
I am 'planning ahead' and will mostly be using these frequent flyer points to redeem flights between Melbourne-Auckland v.v to visit family in NZ.

However, I am really stuck on the different types of offers, and what is the 'best value'. I'm super new to all this, so would really appreciate your input.

I have narrowed it down to three different types of credit card offers available:

ANZ Black - 120k QF FF, 2x QF Club, $200 back, $495 p.a.
Qantas Premier Platinum - 100k QF FF, 2x QF Club, $199/$299 p.a
NAB Qantas Rewards Signature - 130k QF FF, $295/$395 p.a.

I have my eyes on the ANZ Black and the NAB Qantas credit card, due to the requirement to only spend $3k during the first three months which I believe will be achievable. However, the QF Premier Platinum has a reduced annual fee but a requirement to spend $4k.

Therefore my question is, would it be wise to sacrifice 20-30k QF FF points for about a ~$100 saving for the annual fee?

Pre-COVID, I used to do some domestic travel for work (2-3 times a year) where I would be required to purchase flights/hotels and get them reimbursed. I believe it would be great to use a credit card for this as well.

Really appreciate everyone's support about this, sorry for the dumb questions, super new to all this.
Please move this to the correct forum if it's in the wrong forum.

Thanks everyone for your help :)

Debbie.

Hi Debbie,

Welcome aboard.

All of those three options are pretty similar for price reward. ANZ do seem to be the smoothest for points payment and is not a bad card (I've had it 4 times, although it used to be free).

I presume you have looked through the Credit Card forums, but a few others you haven't listed I'd be looking at first (if wanting to avoid a higher fee) is:
I also wouldn't be constraining yourself to one card. I presently have 3, and used to have up to 6 before credit rules started getting tighter.

Cheers

The Qantas Premier card will be issued by Citibank. I’d put that to the bottom of the list As Citi can be difficult.

Just be aware that with the NAB offer you only get 100k points after the initial spend and the last 30k points after paying the annual fee for the second year.

Or go with an AMEX QFF card, although I don't seem any promotions going on with them at the moment.

Agree that the Qantas Ultimate card is worth getting when the next 100k bonus comes up. The $450 annual fee is offset by a $450 travel credit each year, plus you get lounge passes to use before those NZ trips!

My concern with the amex is normally where I shop Amex is not normally accepted :( Hence why I was likely looking for a Visa/MC

Just be aware that with the NAB offer you only get 100k points after the initial spend and the last 30k points after paying the annual fee for the second year.
Thanks so much, yeah that won't be a problem for me - would it still be considered a good offer though?

Agree that the Qantas Ultimate card is worth getting when the next 100k bonus comes up. The $450 annual fee is offset by a $450 travel credit each year, plus you get lounge passes to use before those NZ trips!

Qantas Ultimate has been running a 100k QFF (+ bonus 20k QFF if you haven’t had a Qantas earning case for a year) + $200 statement credit promo for a while. Ends 4 Jan.

Qantas Ultimate has been running a 100k QFF (+ bonus 20k QFF if you haven’t had a Qantas earning case for a year) + $200 statement credit promo for a while. Ends 4 Jan.

This is a very attractive option for me - my biggest worry is my utilities, such as Power, Broadband all don't accept Amex, however the $450 travel credit is very attractive to me.

Life’s too short to only have one credit card!

(Also check if your utilities take PayPal via Amex, some do if they don’t directly.)

ANZ Credit card application is bit of a hurdle. They normally tend to decline the application a lot. I have seen many people complain about it.

Qantas Cards application feedback can also be bit troublesome, as the credit provider is citibank and you apply via Qantas there is no way you can contact citibank directly to get the application feedback. most of the time Qantas customer care can't give a definite answer on your credit card application and you have to email for the other queries if you have any.

NAB credit card application also seems to be easier. I have had two cards processed with them without any issues.

Amex cards are the easiest one in getting the application pass through. no issues they will process very fast and send you the card immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back