Answered - Been bumped off a status run? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Answered Been bumped off a status run?

mingseng

About to fly from CGK to SYD biz class today.

Had a call from Qantas staff in Syd asking whether I would like a downgrade or moved to Garuda biz due to overbooking.

Apparently they called all biz class passangers and no one wanted to move. I explained that I needed to fly as I took a few days annual leave for this, trying to hit platinum for this flight (status run) and needed biz class as I was to drive several hundred kms the next day.

I said I would agree in the fear of getting bumped to downgrade as long as there was adequate compensation and status credits. The lady could not guarantee that but as she was checking the last eco l
Class seat was sold! Thats terrible!

So now on the way to the airport to sort this out.

Worst thing and traditional inconsistent Qantas service experience
- lady could not say who would be bumped at the airport
- lady was rude, after I asked for her name (because I am planning to pump in a complaint) and she hung up straight away after giving her name
- i tried to ring qantas... 2.5 hour waiting time on the phone

I put a complaint but reading the forums, I doubt I will get help... i hope I am mistaken.

Has this happened to anyone?

Can Qantas please help me?

I just hope I don't get bumped, going through traffic to get to airport now...

AIRwin

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Can they route you through SIN on the late QF flight to SYD?

mingseng

Can they route you through SIN on the late QF flight to SYD?
They did not give me that option on the phone and I would be happy to accept that! Guess I qill wait for qantas customer service to ring back. Only 2 more hours waiting time for that... yessss!

Pushka

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
About to fly from CGK to SYD biz class today.

Had a call from Qantas staff in Syd asking whether I would like a downgrade or moved to Garuda biz due to overbooking.

Apparently they called all biz class passangers and no one wanted to move. I explained that I needed to fly as I took a few days annual leave for this, trying to hit platinum for this flight (status run) and needed biz class as I was to drive several hundred kms the next day.

I said I would agree in the fear of getting bumped to downgrade as long as there was adequate compensation and status credits. The lady could not guarantee that but as she was checking the last eco l
Class seat was sold! Thats terrible!

So now on the way to the airport to sort this out.

Worst thing and traditional inconsistent Qantas service experience
- lady could not say who would be bumped at the airport
- lady was rude, after I asked for her name (because I am planning to pump in a complaint) and she hung up straight away after giving her name
- i tried to ring qantas... 2.5 hour waiting time on the phone

I put a complaint but reading the forums, I doubt I will get help... i hope I am mistaken.

Has this happened to anyone?

Can Qantas please help me?

I just hope I don't get bumped, going through traffic to get to airport now...
They should provide you with the original routing status credits per original booking. It will take a phone call and try get written confirmation before accepting anything. I had similar on a status run when the very first flight was cancelled and I was rerouted through Sydney instead of Melb and which gave fewer credits. Rang up and it was fixed. Keep everything as a record.

mingseng

Thanks for the advice! I will keep that in mind for next time. Now gonna try to run the gauntlet at the aiport and hope not to get bumped as the plane ia completely full

AIRwin

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Now gonna try to run the gauntlet at the aiport and hope not to get bumped as the plane ia completely full
Have you checked in online? Here's hoping there will be no-shows so nobody ends up having to be physically dragged off the aircraft...

opusman

AFF Supporter
Unless you have the time to wait for the next QF flight I would take Garuda J if it's still on offer, you'll still be able to get your QF status credits.

• Agree
Reactions: Ade

AIRwin

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Unless you have the time to wait for the next QF flight I would take Garuda J if it's still on offer, you'll still be able to get your QF status credits.
Wonder why nobody else took up the GA offer...

mingseng

Thanks... I am considering... i have tried that flight... not a great experience in the Bali transition

Matt_01

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum 1
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
@mingseng if you do not get on the QF flight take the advice that @Pushka provided and ask for the original routing credits to be applied. 2 weeks back QF cancelled one of my flights, an AU connection from CGK and flew me direct SYD-ADL. I called up the following day and asked for the original SC and points to be added to my account. It was sorted on the call, no follow up required and then the DSC posted 2 days later. It is an involuntary change so QF will apply the original routing credits without too much heartache.

Aside from the above I have not flown GA from CGK however as a home port I would assume that the GA lounge would be better option than the QF (PP lounge).

odysseus

Established Member
AFF Supporter
I had my whole flight cancelled by Virgin, due to bad weather last month. Unfortunately that meant no run for me - and no ORC as there was no replacement.

Glad it worked out for you in any case.

Danger

AFF Supporter
They should provide you with the original routing status credits per original booking . . .
In a perfect world and if the change was purely involuntary I don't think there's any doubt QF would give ORC. However, I seem to recall a recent post on AFF where a person was contacted by the airline and asked to change routes, then was denied ORC because the passenger allegedly accepted the change. Strictly speaking I guess, in this situation, it wouldn't be involuntary because you would be agreeing to the changed routing. End of the day, I wouldn't risk it.

Scarlett

Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
I'd have jumped at the chance, but rarely seem to suffer irrops or changes...

ORC for the bumped QF flights and I'd have provided GA with my EY Guest number to claims the points for those flights and used them to book future VA flights. Make the best of the bad situation!

Also begs the philosophical question of whether I'm inherently lucky, or whether disposition determines perception of luck...

Pushka

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
In a perfect world and if the change was purely involuntary I don't think there's any doubt QF would give ORC. However, I seem to recall a recent post on AFF where a person was contacted by the airline and asked to change routes, then was denied ORC because the passenger allegedly accepted the change. Strictly speaking I guess, in this situation, it wouldn't be involuntary because you would be agreeing to the changed routing. End of the day, I wouldn't risk it.
Which is why I said to get everything in writing that you didn’t agree to the change but were not given a choice.

Ade

ORC for the bumped QF flights and I'd have provided GA with my EY Guest number to claims the points for those flights and used them to book future VA flights. Make the best of the bad situation!
Apologies, if I'm incorrect. So, is this double dipping ? You got ORC for QF flights and provided GA with EY FF# to get points for virgin flights?

Ade

Which is why I said to get everything in writing that you didn’t agree to the change but were not given a choice.
When we're on the topic of ORC, I've got a question.

For instance, say, I'm flying SYD-HKG and QF before departure cancels SYD-HKG and provides an option to route me via MEL. So my new route becomes SYD-MEL-HKG.

As per SYD-HKG, say I'd earn 40 SC, and now with the new route SYD-MEL-HKG, I'd get 20 + 40 = 60 SC

In this instance, will I get SC for SYD-MEL leg as well ?

I've always read on ORC being claimed when the number of SC earned on the new route is less than the number of SC that would've been earned on the old route. Wanted to understand how this will work in reverse (i.e. if the # of SC earned in new route is more than # of SC earned in the old route)

Reason I ask - in my recent experience, MEL-SYD got cancelled and re-routed via MEL-LST-SYD. I checked with the sales agent in the airport and asked specifically if the SC as per new route will be provided and she said "Yes sir, I can see that you'd be getting 10 extra SC, I'm just going to leave it there and not remove it"

AFF on Air Podcast

• Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...
  • Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...
  • Air Chathams – AIR019
    Sat, 07 Sep 2019 16:41:06 AEST
      With less than two weeks until the upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer changes, now is the time to make any last-minute Classic Flight Reward bookings! In this episode, Matt ch ...
  • Project Sunrise – AIR018
    Sat, 24 Aug 2019 16:12:31 AEST
      Later this year, Qantas will decide which aircraft it will use to operate non-stop flights from the east coast of Australia to London and New York - a feat it aims to achi ...
  • Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you're new to the world of frequent flyer points - or moving to a new country - it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the consider ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snig38