Answered - Been bumped off a status run? | Page 2 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Answered Been bumped off a status run?

Pushka

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
When we're on the topic of ORC, I've got a question.

For instance, say, I'm flying SYD-HKG and QF before departure cancels SYD-HKG and provides an option to route me via MEL. So my new route becomes SYD-MEL-HKG.

As per SYD-HKG, say I'd earn 40 SC, and now with the new route SYD-MEL-HKG, I'd get 20 + 40 = 60 SC

In this instance, will I get SC for SYD-MEL leg as well ?

I've always read on ORC being claimed when the number of SC earned on the new route is less than the number of SC that would've been earned on the old route. Wanted to understand how this will work in reverse (i.e. if the # of SC earned in new route is more than # of SC earned in the old route)

Reason I ask - in my recent experience, MEL-SYD got cancelled and re-routed via MEL-LST-SYD. I checked with the sales agent in the airport and asked specifically if the SC as per new route will be provided and she said "Yes sir, I can see that you'd be getting 10 extra SC, I'm just going to leave it there and not remove it"
If that’s the case then mum’s the word. Usually the taken route lands first and then you call to change it if you’ve earnt fewer credits than originally booked.

Reactions: Ade

MEL_Traveller

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Accepting a bump on status runs can be stressful, especially if it's a partner airline. Many years ago when status running in the USA was a cheap way to get QF platinum, the 'Y/K=UP' fares were excellent value. But they booked into coach (with an instant upgrade). I never felt comoftable accepting a re-route in coach in case ORC was denied.

Danger

AFF Supporter
Apologies, if I'm incorrect. So, is this double dipping ? You got ORC for QF flights and provided GA with EY FF# to get points for virgin flights?
Yes. Double-dipping can work on re-routes. I think there's a better chance if you're moved to an airline in another alliance. Earlier this year my AA flight that was purchased with QF points was cancelled due to weather. I was re-routed on United and received miles.

• Informative

mingseng

Folks, thanks for all the advice. Finally received a call from Qantas on the complaint I left at the start of this episode from August on Sunday after leaving another email last week asking if the complaint had been actioned. I received an apology from Qantas on the poor behaviour by the initial outbound caller. At least that is the end of that bad episode. I hope the ACCC can consider improvements to laws for downgrading customers.

jpp42

arlier this year my AA flight that was purchased with QF points was cancelled due to weather. I was re-routed on United and received miles.
I've been able to double-dip in a similar situation. I was booked on VA code, DL metal, SFO-LAX-SYD. My SFO-LAX flight was cancelled and I thought I would be stuck in SFO but managed to convince the DL lounge agent to get permission from VA to re-route me on the nonstop QF flight SFO-SYD. This ended up working, I gave my QFF number for that flight, even got lounge access etc. Then applied to Virgin for ORC which was granted - so I got miles and SC's on both QF and VA for the same journey :)

jpp42

Reason I ask - in my recent experience, MEL-SYD got cancelled and re-routed via MEL-LST-SYD.
Sorry, a bit late here and a tangent - but I'm just a bit flabbergasted at this re-routing. With the number of MEL-SYD flights every day, how was MEL-LST-SYD chosen over just rebooking on another nonstop SYD flight? How many people connect through LST on a daily basis I wonder - do they even have a luggage holding area? :)

AisleSeat

Established Member
Flights
My Map
When we're on the topic of ORC, I've got a question.

For instance, say, I'm flying SYD-HKG and QF before departure cancels SYD-HKG and provides an option to route me via MEL. So my new route becomes SYD-MEL-HKG.

As per SYD-HKG, say I'd earn 40 SC, and now with the new route SYD-MEL-HKG, I'd get 20 + 40 = 60 SC

In this instance, will I get SC for SYD-MEL leg as well ?

I've always read on ORC being claimed when the number of SC earned on the new route is less than the number of SC that would've been earned on the old route. Wanted to understand how this will work in reverse (i.e. if the # of SC earned in new route is more than # of SC earned in the old route)

Reason I ask - in my recent experience, MEL-SYD got cancelled and re-routed via MEL-LST-SYD. I checked with the sales agent in the airport and asked specifically if the SC as per new route will be provided and she said "Yes sir, I can see that you'd be getting 10 extra SC, I'm just going to leave it there and not remove it"
I was in this situation coming back from Japan. JQ cancelled the original flight from Osaka and I was rerouted through Tokyo, earning an extra 10SC. It was awarded automatically.

AisleSeat

Established Member
Flights
My Map
I was in this situation coming back from Japan. JQ cancelled the original flight from Osaka and I was rerouted through Tokyo, earning an extra 10SC. (with an extra bonus of flying back on QF metal) It was awarded automatically.

trippin_the_rift

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Yes. Double-dipping can work on re-routes. I think there's a better chance if you're moved to an airline in another alliance. Earlier this year my AA flight that was purchased with QF points was cancelled due to weather. I was re-routed on United and received miles.
My thoughts exactly!

Being bumped off a Qantas status run is a blessing.
It gives you the chance to [depending on the situation and re-routing]:

- Get home faster
- Refund of some taxes
- Double dip on points earning
- Try a new airline
- Additional compensation

AND..... still, receive all your points and status credits as if you were on the original flights.

Rangalad

Intern
Apologies, if I'm incorrect. So, is this double dipping ? You got ORC for QF flights and provided GA with EY FF# to get points for virgin flights?
Last year was booked QF AKL SYD MEL. AKL SYD flight cancelled, rebooked on Air NZ. Got Kris Flyer points, and the QF ORC (eventually)

Ade

Sorry, a bit late here and a tangent - but I'm just a bit flabbergasted at this re-routing. With the number of MEL-SYD flights every day, how was MEL-LST-SYD chosen over just rebooking on another nonstop SYD flight? How many people connect through LST on a daily basis I wonder - do they even have a luggage holding area? :)
It was a once off for me. SO not sure how many passengers are re routed or how their luggage is handled. The only good thing in this was I got extra SC 😀

AFF on Air Podcast

• “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...
  • Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...
  • Air Chathams – AIR019
    Sat, 07 Sep 2019 16:41:06 AEST
      With less than two weeks until the upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer changes, now is the time to make any last-minute Classic Flight Reward bookings! In this episode, Matt ch ...
  • Project Sunrise – AIR018
    Sat, 24 Aug 2019 16:12:31 AEST
      Later this year, Qantas will decide which aircraft it will use to operate non-stop flights from the east coast of Australia to London and New York - a feat it aims to achi ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardTaylor