BA Pilots strike impacting on Qantas award booking - advice please | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

BA Pilots strike impacting on Qantas award booking - advice please

andrew58

So I received an email from BA yesterday telling me that my flight from LHR to LYS on Sep 8th was cancelled due to the pilot's strike. 2 tickets - both QFF award in J. So I went ahead and made alternative travel arrangements (Eurostar - unchangeable without a fee). Fares were escalating by the hour for that date with other carriers (eg AF). Today I received an email from BA telling me my flight is now "operating as originally planned". So I rang Qantas to cancel my flights (x2 seats, x2 separate award bookings) and request not to be charged the 6,000 point cancellation fee. QFF tell me that they have "no commercial relationship with BA" and will not absorb any costs as no Qantas flights were cancelled - the 6,000 points cancellation fee (x2) stands. Any advice? I don't like my chances ...

defurax

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
So I received an email from BA yesterday telling me that my flight from LHR to LYS on Sep 8th was cancelled due to the pilot's strike. 2 tickets - both QFF award in J. So I went ahead and made alternative travel arrangements (Eurostar - unchangeable without a fee). Fares were escalating by the hour for that date with other carriers (eg AF). Today I received an email from BA telling me my flight is now "operating as originally planned". So I rang Qantas to cancel my flights (x2 seats, x2 separate award bookings) and request not to be charged the 6,000 point cancellation fee. QFF tell me that they have "no commercial relationship with BA" and will not absorb any costs as no Qantas flights were cancelled - the 6,000 points cancellation fee (x2) stands. Any advice? I don't like my chances ...
You should not cancel your flights. You should claim the cost of your Eurostar ticket to BA.

serfty

Veteran Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Qantas Award Booking? You should have contacted Qantas first.

Their policy with oneworld bookings on Qantas (081-) tickets is to re-accommodate on alternate oneworld flight(s) in the same cabin as booked at no charge.

Last edited:

defurax

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map

Their policy with oneworld bookings on Qantas (081-) tickets is to re-accommodate on alternate oneworld flight(s) in the same cabin as booked at no charge.

But QF would have said the flight was not cancelled (8 September flights were not actually cancelled except a few). I saw on the BBC that BA will potentially reimburse people who have received cancellation emails by mistake if they have booked alternative travel arrangements.

Austman

Established Member
AFF Supporter
LHR to LYS on Sep 8th was cancelled due to the pilot's strike
my flight is now "operating as originally planned"
So was the flight cancelled or not?

From the first email it would appear that it was. So there was nothing for you to cancel with Qantas - it was already cancelled.

When BA cancelled one of my QFF award flights this year, the email said:

For further information, and to rebook yourself on to the next suitable flight or to claim a full refund, please go to Manage My Booking on ba.com
Alternatively, please either contact your booking agent or call us

Austman

Established Member
AFF Supporter
I saw on the BBC that BA will potentially reimburse people who have received cancellation emails by mistake if they have booked alternative travel arrangements.
That seems the situation!

defurax

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Here's the link to the BBC story
BBC News - British Airways strikes: Cancelled flights back on after 'email error'

defurax

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I was incredibly lucky to have my three BA flights booked on the 8 and 11. I received 3 cancellation emails yesterday. I saw that the flights were not cancelled on Expert Flyer and this morning I received 3 emails saying my flights were never cancelled. Happy I didn't do anything!

serfty

Veteran Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
But QF would have said the flight was not cancelled (8 September flights were not actually cancelled except a few). I saw on the BBC that BA will potentially reimburse people who have received cancellation emails by mistake if they have booked alternative travel arrangements.
In which case it should have been fine.

Austman

Established Member
AFF Supporter
If it was a mistake cancellation email from BA (as it seems it was) it would seem to me to be a BA issue.

andrew58

Yes, that is exactly what happened - the flights were not cancelled as it turned out. In manage my booking on BA yesterday there were no options for changing or cancelling flights (presumably because it was a QFF award ticket) and it said to contact BA in Australia (Mon-fri 9-5). I actually did check EF and noted the flight was still there and also still being sold on BA.com, albeit at hugely inflated prices (one-way in Y 523 pounds, vs 49-79 pounds the days prior), but I thought there was just confusion due to the strike. In the meantime I booked the Eurostar and I'm quite happy with that ($290 premiere class and about the same total travel time) but I suppose I'm just a little annoyed that because I acted on their email I will be 12,000 points worse off. No biggie, just annoying. Blame the pilots I suppose.

MEL_Traveller

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Yes, that is exactly what happened - the flights were not cancelled as it turned out. In manage my booking on BA yesterday there were no options for changing or cancelling flights (presumably because it was a QFF award ticket) and it said to contact BA in Australia (Mon-fri 9-5). I actually did check EF and noted the flight was still there and also still being sold on BA.com, albeit at hugely inflated prices (one-way in Y 523 pounds, vs 49-79 pounds the days prior), but I thought there was just confusion due to the strike. In the meantime I booked the Eurostar and I'm quite happy with that ($290 premiere class and about the same total travel time) but I suppose I'm just a little annoyed that because I acted on their email I will be 12,000 points worse off. No biggie, just annoying. Blame the pilots I suppose.
12000 points cancellation, but you'll get back the $290 for the train?

It might also be worth emailing QFFF with a screenshot of (a) the BA cancellation advice (with time stamp if possible), (b) the error message from BA and (c) your train ticket (with time stamp matching (a)). Maybe they'll cancel fro free.

Alternatively your travel insurance may cover the cost of the points. Or maybe even the train (whichever is higher). Check the PDS.

(Re Eurostar, if you haven't travelled with them recently they have somewhat downgraded 'premier' in the last few years. It's more like a first class seat with just a very basic snack these days. Not like the past when it was a full meals and champagne.)

andrew58

Thanks all for the useful suggestions. I'm happy to stay with the Eurostar (happy to avoid BA for the time being), but will start with my travel insurance and then if no luck BA and finally Qantas again. See how I go.

TheInsider

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Basically if the QF system still shows the bookings as 'HK' - confirmed, then QF will not be able to waive the cancellation fee on the bookings. The bookings in QF's system, need to be shown as HX - segment cancelled.

MEL_Traveller

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Basically if the QF system still shows the bookings as 'HK' - confirmed, then QF will not be able to waive the cancellation fee on the bookings. The bookings in QF's system, need to be shown as HX - segment cancelled.
If they can't waive the cancellation fee they can make a 'points adjustment' to return the 6000 points.

MEL_Traveller

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
BBC has coverage of this mistake and the entitlements of passengers who where affected by it.
That's some good news for the OP. Still unclear how this will all work in terms of processing refunds, and how much. EU261 may also apply if within 14 days.

andrew58

An Update: I decided to try twitter to contact BA and to my surprise I received a message back promptly asking for my full details and exactly what compensation I was seeking. I explained about having booked x2 Eurostar tickets (at 173 euro each) and the loss of 12,000 QFF points (but with the taxes of $92 being refunded) and left it at that, expecting a further request for documentation etc at some time in the future. Well, lo and behold, today my Amex was credited with 2x $357.09 (196.44 GBP x2). There has been no further communication or request for invoices/receipts. But I'd have to say I'm very surprised and very satisfied. Overall a good result.

2PAXfly

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Goo
An Update: I decided to try twitter to contact BA and to my surprise I received a message back promptly asking for my full details and exactly what compensation I was seeking. I explained about having booked x2 Eurostar tickets (at 173 euro each) and the loss of 12,000 QFF points (but with the taxes of $92 being refunded) and left it at that, expecting a further request for documentation etc at some time in the future. Well, lo and behold, today my Amex was credited with 2x $357.09 (196.44 GBP x2). There has been no further communication or request for invoices/receipts. But I'd have to say I'm very surprised and very satisfied. Overall a good result.
Good News and well done. I always say it is better to ask - they can only refuse - or as in this case, act responsibly.

Danger

AFF Supporter

I don't think that would have helped as BA is the only oneworld carrier that services LYS.

Uh oh. It sounds like helpful people with commonsense have taken over the BA Twitter account.

Seriously, though. I'm stunned. That's an incredible response for an airline that is notorious for denying legitimate EU compensation for delayed and cancelled flights.

AFF on Air Podcast

• Air Chathams – AIR019
    Sat, 07 Sep 2019 16:41:06 AEST
      With less than two weeks until the upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer changes, now is the time to make any last-minute Classic Flight Reward bookings! In this episode, Matt ch ...
  • Project Sunrise – AIR018
    Sat, 24 Aug 2019 16:12:31 AEST
      Later this year, Qantas will decide which aircraft it will use to operate non-stop flights from the east coast of Australia to London and New York - a feat it aims to achi ...
  • Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you're new to the world of frequent flyer points - or moving to a new country - it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the consider ...
  • Travel Insurance – AIR016
    Sat, 27 Jul 2019 07:34:12 AEST
      They say that if you can't afford travel insurance, you can't afford to travel! In this episode, Matt chats to James Green about the importance of travel insurance, and wh ...
  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episod ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRH