Aus/British Dual Citizen | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Aus/British Dual Citizen

Status
Not open for further replies.

pennelton

Junior Member
Joined
May 9, 2007
Messages
13
Hey all,

Im flying one way to LHR next month. I have both aussie and Uk passport and was wanting to know if anyone has come across any troubles whislt doing so. My concern is that my passports will have no stamps and the fellas at customs in the UK might give me a hard time

Cheers
Chris
 

ColinP

Member
Joined
May 1, 2006
Messages
459
Nobody will give you a hard time. Present your Aus passport when leaving Aus. Present your UK passport at LHR and answer any questions honestly if asked.
Very few countries have a problem with dual citizenship and the UK certainly isn't one of them
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,807
Flights
My Map
You can ask the immigration agents to stamp your passport even though there is no requirement for a stamp. I always ask for it and they have always obliged without comment.

And you MUST use your Aussie passport leaving and entering Australia, and you MUST use your UK passport when entering the UK (no outbound passport processing in UK).
 

SeaWolf

Active Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2007
Messages
941
NM, do you mean just asking for an exit visa in both as you head out?
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,807
Flights
My Map
SeaWolf said:
NM, do you mean just asking for an exit visa in both as you head out?
No Visas required if UK/AUS citizen.

When you hand your passport over to the Aussie passport processor at the outbound or inbound immigration, just say "would you please put a stamp in my passport". Its the usual exit or entry stamp that includes the port of departure/entry name and the date.
 

SeaWolf

Active Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2007
Messages
941
Yeah, that's the one I was refering too. Sorry, my international travel lingo is not so good. :p
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
NM said:
You can ask the immigration agents to stamp your passport even though there is no requirement for a stamp. I always ask for it and they have always obliged without comment.

And you MUST use your Aussie passport leaving and entering Australia, and you MUST use your UK passport when entering the UK (no outbound passport processing in UK).
Would they know when they scanned your UK passport that you had dual citizenship? How is this enforceable?
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
simongr said:
Would they know when they scanned your UK passport that you had dual citizenship? How is this enforceable?
Well, when you get Australian Citizenship, your Residency visa is immediately cancelled and you cannot get another visa. This makes using UK passport for entry/exit to Australia rather tricky

Dave
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
Ahh - hadnt thought about that - something to look forward to next year...
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,807
Flights
My Map
simongr said:
Would they know when they scanned your UK passport that you had dual citizenship? How is this enforceable?
Just because you might manage to get away with something (perhaps if you had a new UK passport, thus avoiding Dave's suggestion), does not mean it is allowable. If you have dual passports, then make sure you understand the laws under which they should be used. Enforcibility is not a requirement for law making.
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
I agree NM - I was just wondering about how it could be enforced. It was more of a conceptual interest thing. I work in audit - my life is spent working out either how to catch the buggers (bloody boring) or how to design systems that make it easy for people to be compliant whilst makiung sure U can still catch the buggers ;)

Also if you had a new passport you would need to get a new visa inserted - lost my passport applying for my UK drivers license by mail and had to have a new visa put in.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,807
Flights
My Map
simongr said:
Also if you had a new passport you would need to get a new visa inserted - lost my passport applying for my UK drivers license by mail and had to have a new visa put in.
But you don't need a Visa if you hold a passport for the other country.
 

pennelton

Junior Member
Joined
May 9, 2007
Messages
13
NM said:
You can ask the immigration agents to stamp your passport even though there is no requirement for a stamp. I always ask for it and they have always obliged without comment.

And you MUST use your Aussie passport leaving and entering Australia, and you MUST use your UK passport when entering the UK (no outbound passport processing in UK).

Thanks NM,

So when Im in Singapore for a night it wouldnt matter which one I use, as long as I enter/exit on the same one???

Chris
 

dragonman

Active Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2007
Messages
516
Flights
My Map
Yes I always enter and exit with the same passport. In Europe I use the UK one and most other places the Aussie one.
 

GDSman

Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2004
Messages
302
Dave Noble said:
Well, when you get Australian Citizenship, your Residency visa is immediately cancelled and you cannot get another visa. This makes using UK passport for entry/exit to Australia rather tricky

Dave
I'm sure that's the official line but FWIW I travelled for nearly a year on a UK passport with an AU residency visa after I was granted AU citizenship, without any bother at all. That was about 3 yrs ago. Things may have tightened up since then...
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,807
Flights
My Map
pennelton said:
So when Im in Singapore for a night it wouldnt matter which one I use, as long as I enter/exit on the same one???
Correct. You make the choice.
 

tykissy

Junior Member
Joined
May 25, 2007
Messages
28
Can anyone advise please...............I have dual passorts AUS/UK but my husband only has AUS passport. We are travelling to UK in June. I am planning to exit and enter Australia on my AUS passport and Enter the UK on my British passport which I understand is the correct way to do it???
Can my husband come with me in the UK line at London Airport if he only has AUS passport.:D :D :D
 

GDSman

Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2004
Messages
302
tykissy said:
Can anyone advise please...............I have dual passorts AUS/UK but my husband only has AUS passport. We are travelling to UK in June. I am planning to exit and enter Australia on my AUS passport and Enter the UK on my British passport which I understand is the correct way to do it???
Can my husband come with me in the UK line at London Airport if he only has AUS passport.:D :D :D
I experienced this scenario with my wife when entering the UK last year and we both passed though the UK/EU line without any issue. In case the rules have changed it may pay to check with one of the immigration officers hovering in the hall before joining the line though.
 

acampbel

Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2005
Messages
351
.

My experience in Heathrow is that you and your husband can both use the "locals" queue. My experience in Stansted is that they will gleefully tell you that "You can go through sir, but you colonial wife and brats have to join that queue of aliens and wait another half hour."

There is an excellent expression in the UK called "Jobsworth" for such imbeciles (and another in Germany that goes "Ungefecht zum dienst" I think).

As the rules are changing almost monthly for air travel in the UK, it may be worth ringing to clarify, as there's nothing worse than getting dumped from front of one queue to the back of another.


Cheers,

Andrew

.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
acampbel said:
.

My experience in Heathrow is that you and your husband can both use the "locals" queue. My experience in Stansted is that they will gleefully tell you that "You can go through sir, but you colonial wife and brats have to join that queue of aliens and wait another half hour."
I believe the issue is less "jobsworth" but that at some locations, the staff handling the UK arrivals lines do not have the thing to stamp the passport with for non EU arriving passengers since it is not needed at those desks

Dave
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...

Community Statistics

Threads
82,026
Messages
1,897,045
Members
49,859
Latest member
Rayan
Top