ATO (tax office) payments by credit card | Page 395 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

ATO (tax office) payments by credit card

albyd

Established Member
Last used it about a month ago. Still working. Waiting for the other shoe to drop before I need to find something else or succumb to reward pay. Will enjoy it while it’s an option.

Last edited:

Mitch_W

Intern
You may wish to read the amex Explorer thread. Basically - apply for Amex Plat Edge ( Ascent), then call Amex + ask Explorer to be linked to Ascent - may take a few calls. Once linked, Explorer will earn 2 ascent ( proper) points per $.
Have so far made 3 calls to Amex and no one is willing to make the change. They say it can't be done because they are different programs. I will keep trying though.

JohnK

Veteran Member
Can anyone think of an easy way to pay an ATO bill without paying the ATO by credit card?

I'm finding it hard to motivate myself in buying 150 Wish cards and then converting these to 600 Visa One gift cards and then being stuck with large number of wish cards with a residual balance.

lilkid28

Can anyone think of an easy way to pay an ATO bill without paying the ATO by credit card?

I'm finding it hard to motivate myself in buying 150 Wish cards and then converting these to 600 Visa One gift cards and then being stuck with large number of wish cards with a residual balance.
Get one of the cards mentioned above, e.g Dragon CC.

Why would there be a residual balance though?

Beats me. You just calculate the payment so that the payment plus fee = $100 exactly and so there is no residual balance per card.

So that would only leave one card that is less than $100 for any ATO Bill. And easy enough to spend that on another bill like water rates etc etc.

andye

Established Member
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map

If you use the Woolworths money app, its relatively easy to keep track of the residual WISH balances. You can then use the residuals to part pay for the V1s at WW.

JohnK

Veteran Member
Get one of the cards mentioned above, e.g Dragon CC.

Don't want to try and apply for another credit card.

If you buy 4 Visa One cards with a $500 Wish card there'll be a residual balance on the Wish card of $76.20 which would be a hassle if buying many Wish cards. Although I see that andye has answered that you can buy other Visa One cards by part paying with multiple Wish cards.

I only have an Amex card that earns 1 poibt/$ and trying to work out if 67,000 points are worth paying 670 × $0.95 and the hassle of buying Visa Ones and the paying the ATO with them.

At the end of the day it's only a just over a one-way in business to BKK.

I've lost track. Normal Amex doesn't earn for ATO spend. Think Virgin Money used to earn 0.5 points/$ spend but that may no longer be the case.

Harvey Norman Visa prepaid gift cards could be the way to go but that is very hit and miss and would take multiple visits to purchase that many Visa prepaid gift cards.

lilkid28

I only have an Amex card that earns 1 poibt/$ and trying to work out if 67,000 points are worth paying 670 × $0.95 and the hassle of buying Visa Ones and the paying the ATO with them.
You really need to get the Platinum Edge/David Jones Amex or at least an Explorer card to make it worthwhile. I wouldn't be bothered with 1 ppd

Jacques Vert

Established Member
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Red
If you buy 4 Visa One cards with a $500 Wish card there'll be a residual balance on the Wish card of $76.20 which would be a hassle if buying many Wish cards. Although I see that andye has answered that you can buy other Visa One cards by part paying with multiple Wish cards.
Just buy $423.80 egift cards; no residual.

Mitch_W

Intern
keep trying different days/times
I got lucky on a weekday around 4.30pm, just before leaving work
Called them on Christmas Eve around 14:00 and got a friendly CSO who said she would try and process this now for me. Alas, the system would not allow her to combine the 2 programs. She said she would enquire further with the back office and get back to me if it could be done. I am not very hopeful☹. I think they may have closed down this option since March once they realised what was happening. Nonetheless, I will try a few more times. Nothing to lose

bigray73

Flights
My Map
Called them on Christmas Eve around 14:00 and got a friendly CSO who said she would try and process this now for me. Alas, the system would not allow her to combine the 2 programs. She said she would enquire further with the back office and get back to me if it could be done. I am not very hopeful☹. I think they may have closed down this option since March once they realised what was happening. Nonetheless, I will try a few more times. Nothing to lose
Keep trying. It took me 3 goes but I was successful only a few weeks ago

New Chump

No probs. Here it is. I use the iMacros for Chrome plugin to run this. Replace the XXXXX with your PRN and email address. Verify the CONTENT values are what you want them to be. The wait times were added to ensure each page had enough time to load before the macro pressed the next button. At the settings below, I found there were no failures. If I reduced the wait time, I would get the occassional failure in the email sending part.
Is anyone currently having problems using MrHyde's (superb) macro? It was working well for me since ít was posted in this thread, but in the last few days it has stopped working and now gives me this message: BadParameter: Unsupported variable !VAR4, line: 6

I can''t work out what has changed to make it no longer work.

NC

AFF on Air Podcast

• Indian Pacific & Other Epic Train Journeys – AIR027
    Sat, 11 Jan 2020 02:31:00 AEDT
      In this episode, we take a brief detour from the aviation discussion to talk about train travel! There's something nice - perhaps even romantic - about long-distance train ...
  • Status Runs – AIR026
    Sat, 14 Dec 2019 07:15:21 AEDT
      If you're a little bit short of the next airline status tier, a status run can get you over the line. In this episode, learn about the best status runs with Virgin Austral ...
  • British Airways Executive Club – AIR025
    Sat, 30 Nov 2019 22:53:26 AEDT
      Many Australians join Qantas Frequent Flyer by default. But even if you fly with Qantas regularly, you could benefit by using the British Airways Executive Club frequent f ...
  • Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...
  • HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mattman92