Are Velocity points worthless when upgrading?

Discussion in 'Virgin Australia Velocity' started by marcoakis, Apr 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. I'm looking to upgrade from Y to Y+ using points... which is 45k points according to the site. However the price of a flexi Y needed to upgrade is almost the same price as buying a saver Y+ (a couple of hundred difference).

Why would I use 45k to upgrade when the price for flexi Y is almost the same as saver Y+?

Am I missing something here?

2. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    No, you're not missing anything.

What you do is buy PE and use those points to upgrade to J. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Quickstatus

Quickstatus Senior Member

Oct 13, 2013
    NSW
    No you are not missing anything. In fact you have just discovered the the dark side of points accumulation and expenditure. It all comes down to how much value you attribute to your points. As you can see Airlines value points differently also

You have done the right thing - question the value, come to AFF and explore the arcane subject of FF points. Airlines know that the majority of FF members will be happy to burn their points doing what you have just discovered is not necessarily of good value.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fruitcake

Fruitcake Established Member

Feb 22, 2011
    An individual probably wouldn't, but if your employer has a Y-only policy, many times it will be some sort of flexible product.

5. Thanks for your input guys, I'l definitely look into buying Y+ and upgrade to J.

6. Jousams

Jousams Active Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SYD
    18k from flexi Y to PE is not that bad. I guess if you didn't have the 45K for business it would be worth considering.