Apple Pay by end 2015 [Amex-Issued Only]

Status
Not open for further replies.
nice - glad i hung onto 1 last amex issued card now to be able to try it out. must have cost them a pretty penny for exclusivity though.

Not that I want to be part of the Apple ecosystem at all, but still good to see any challengers or potential disruptors upsetting the MasterCard/Visa duopoly.

I will be awaiting the Android equivalent and would expect that to eventually become widespread as well.

Dummy here - what is Apple pay?

Edit: Much more cleverer dummy here now - I asked my techie - he says you swipe your phone and pay through Apple accoyunt right?

Does it earn FF pts?

must have cost them a pretty penny for exclusivity though.

Seeing Apple couldn't come to agreement with any of the banks in Australia, I don't think Amex had a hard time to convince them...

Edit: Much more cleverer dummy here now - I asked my techie - he says you swipe your phone and pay through Apple accoyunt right?

Does it earn FF pts?

Westpac Amex payments earn double Westpac points that can be transferred to SQ for instance.

nice - glad i hung onto 1 last amex issued card now to be able to try it out. must have cost them a pretty penny for exclusivity though.

Only cost them the share of the interchange fees they have agreed to pay Apple.
Mastercard and Visa haven't agreed to share those in Australia, because they're significantly lower than in the US and elsewhere.
So AMEX is exclusive by default not by design.

Incidentally paywave and paypass are not ubiquitous in other countries as they are becoming here.
So I think that will limit the take up of apple pay by consumers here.

I'm not sure they would have paid for exclusivity so much, more so the only ones willing to work with Apple and share the fees. It just so happens it'll probably help them by being the only one initially. Hopefully this drives the big-4 to come to the table now... though I'm not blind and can understand why they don't want to share their money with Apple, if Apple isn't investing in the infrastructure!

As I have an HK-issued AMEX, I'll have to wait to 2016... but I'm looking forward to it now!

Does it earn FF pts?

Not really their accounts. Essentially they store your card details on the phone, then use the built-in NFC chip to take over the paywave swipe, allowing you to simply leave the wallet at home and only take your phone with you.

Android has a similar system, and the other competitor is a US system that generates a Q-code (similar to the barcode you get when you check-in for your QF flight on your phone), displayed on-screen, instead of using NFC.

Have I lost you yet? :p

And yes, as the transaction still goes through your institution ultimately (Apple isn't becoming a bank), you still earn whatever points are applicable.

Not really their accounts. Essentially they store your card details on the phone, then use the built-in NFC chip to take over the paywave swipe, allowing you to simply leave the wallet at home and only take your phone with you.

Android has a similar system, and the other competitor is a US system that generates a Q-code (similar to the barcode you get when you check-in for your QF flight on your phone), displayed on-screen, instead of using NFC.

Have I lost you yet? :p

And yes, as the transaction still goes through your institution ultimately (Apple isn't becoming a bank), you still earn whatever points are applicable.

Thanks for the summary samh004.
Now I know what they are on about :).

Well I guess as soon as the 12-months-since-last-card timer ticks over, it'll be time for a new amex-issued-amex.

Let's hope the bonus point specials don't conveniently disappear as this apple product launches.

I wonder how many retailers are going on board with apple pay when it launches? Or would it essentially mean all current amex merchants would then have the ability to offer apple pay as an option? Is the NFC hardware the same as paywave?

I'd love to see a promo ie. "get 2 X the points by using apple pay" to get people used to the idea!

If a merchant currently accepts contactless AMEX I believe they can accept applepay without doing a thing.

A few of the surveys I have been doing recently have been trying to push using mobile phone to make payments.

No thanks.

Seeing Apple couldn't come to agreement with any of the banks in Australia, I don't think Amex had a hard time to convince them...

They have more money than God, why not buy or start their own bank ? :)

Confirmed Thursday, 19th November Launch!

As per Amex Australia's tweet:
https://twitter.com/AmexAU/status/666740405099225089

You will know it's active once Apple updates this site with an "AU" entry. No iOS update should be required as your phone checks this site periodically.
https://smp-device-content.apple.com/static/region/v2/config.json

Just added to my apple wallet, seemed easy enough..
it's nice that it now lists recent transactions, no need to go into the amex app as often.

I wonder if most amex merchants were notified, i'm going to buy a coffee and see if i get strange looks when going to pay with my phone.. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back