ANZ rolling Qantas Gold cards and Gold *TRAVEL INS* cards into one Plat card. | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

ANZ rolling Qantas Gold cards and Gold *TRAVEL INS* cards into one Plat card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozstamps

Active Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2003
Messages
562
Not sure if this has been mentioned before here? Apologies if it has and I missed it.

I have advocated for many many years taking the $87 ANZ Gold standard VISA card as it gives free travel and medical insurance. Many here also use it for the same reason.

I also keep an ANZ Qantas Gold card to help accrue QF miles.

This week I got an offer from ANZ to roll the 2 into one Platinum card:

Credit Cards & Visa Debit - Platinum Privileges

Seems like there is zero extra cost and I get purchase insurance free as well.

I had JUST been charged for the $87 annual Gold fee in Nov. Phoned and they re-credited that, and COMBINED both existing limits to about $35,000 which seems pretty silly to me but who argues. ;)

As far as I can see I am $87 in front, and get extra bennies. (And a double credit line, not that it is of any practical use.)

Win, win, win it seems. Any comments?
 

one9

Active Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2005
Messages
596
ozstamps said:
Not sure if this has been mentioned before here? Apologies if it has and I missed it.

I have advocated for many many years taking the $87 ANZ Gold standard VISA card as it gives free travel and medical insurance. Many here also use it for the same reason.

I also keep an ANZ Qantas Gold card to help accrue QF miles.

This week I got an offer from ANZ to roll the 2 into one Platinum card:

Credit Cards & Visa Debit - Platinum Privileges

Seems like there is zero extra cost and I get purchase insurance free as well.

I had JUST been charged for the $87 annual Gold fee in Nov. Phoned and they re-credited that, and COMBINED both existing limits to about $35,000 which seems pretty silly to me but who argues. ;)

As far as I can see I am $87 in front, and get extra bennies. (And a double credit line, not that it is of any practical use.)

Win, win, win it seems. Any comments?
It is in the best interest for banks to provide Platinum cards rather than Gold cards, because they receive a higher merchant fee/commission from each sale.

Recently, National Bank (and likely other banks) have started charging merchants (shops) a higher charge to accept Platinum cards than standard cards.

I was in a meeting a month ago about whether or not we should charge a surcharge to customers who use Platinum cards. We decided against it (as these are the customers we want), but I would not be surprised if in the future, a very small number of businesses charged a surcharge (or a higher surcharge) for Platinum cards as opposed to standard cards.
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,648
Flights
My Map
one9 said:
It is in the best interest for banks to provide Platinum cards rather than Gold cards, because they receive a higher merchant fee/commission from each sale.

Recently, National Bank (and likely other banks) have started charging merchants (shops) a higher charge to accept Platinum cards than standard cards.

I was in a meeting a month ago about whether or not we should charge a surcharge to customers who use Platinum cards. We decided against it (as these are the customers we want), but I would not be surprised if in the future, a very small number of businesses charged a surcharge (or a higher surcharge) for Platinum cards as opposed to standard cards.
I am a little surprised by this. On what basis can the banks justify charging extra for using a platinum card? If it does happen though,the signage could get quite interesting - a whole list of cards and the corresponding fee!
 

alect

Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2006
Messages
351
oz_mark said:
I am a little surprised by this. On what basis can the banks justify charging extra for using a platinum card? If it does happen though,the signage could get quite interesting - a whole list of cards and the corresponding fee!
Yeah I am floored by this if true. I cannot imagine the nightmare this would cause for businesses who accept cards. I don't understand the logic either from the banks point of view - they have already presumably charged the card holder a larger annual fee, why would they also try to charge the merchant a higher fee?

Ofcourse I live in the land of all cards being platinum and each one trying to out-platinum the others :rolleyes: Some of the cards don't even remotely look platinum, but just say they are - which in reality doesn't mean a thing.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
alect said:
I don't understand the logic either from the banks point of view - they have already presumably charged the card holder a larger annual fee, why would they also try to charge the merchant a higher fee?
Umm. Because the card company wants to make even more money than they do by convincing the saps that they are special and that they deserve to pay large amounts for a pretty coloured card. Charging the merchants more is the icing on the cake

Dave
 

alect

Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2006
Messages
351
Dave Noble said:
Umm. Because the card company wants to make even more money than they do by convincing the saps that they are special and that they deserve to pay large amounts for a pretty coloured card. Charging the merchants more is the icing on the cake

Dave
Yeah I'm not sure what I was thinking using "logic" in my post :confused:
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
alect said:
Yeah I'm not sure what I was thinking using "logic" in my post :confused:
Ah, you were ignoring the aspect that the Debt Card issuers want to make as much money as possible. They have already managed to get people to take out cards that can run to several hundred $ ( e.g. $250 for Citibank , $900 for AMEX Platinum and (iirc) around $2500 for a AMEX Black ) by making them feel that they are special having been invited to get one and allow them to try n get an ego boost by presenting their pretty coloured cards at shops.

Now that they have enough people with these cards, then why not up the merchant fees for these "special" customers. The basis of how AMEX used to try to justify their high fees and were selective over what companies they permitted to accept AMEX was that they had better value customers than the Visa n Mastercard companies. This seems to be a v similar situation .

Dave
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
81,209
Messages
1,872,055
Members
49,042
Latest member
Nadjalo
Top