ANZ QFF card earn rates enhanced™

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: ANZ QFF/Rewards card earn rates enhanced™

ANZ dont have to justify their fee. You, as a customer need to work out if its worth it. At $425 the card breaks even at about $38k spend.

AMEX doesn't have interchange. They have a direct relationship with the customer which is why they can pay awards points at a higher rate. The merchant fee is made up of a number of things. Keep in mind that interchange adds no value to the transaction at all. Its a fee that the acquirer pays the issuer for Visa and MC.

The ANZ QFF card is 1:1 points earn so $100 earns ANZ $.80 and they pay away $1.

If you are "stuffing up" and revolving a balance at 20% then this product is not for you. Revolving a balance or paying ancillary fees erodes the value to zero immediately. My suggestion is to organise a direct debit for the entire balance every month.

The reasons for having a black card are basically zero now. I wouldn't bother. Stick to AMEX/Diners.

Interesting viewpoint. I would say that any seller needs to justify their fee unless they are in a monopoly position. If they cannot, I, the customer, vote with my feet and go elsewhere.
I'm very interested in your break even spend. Is there any chance you could put up the calculation? Currently I put quite a bit more than $38k through my ANZ Black but I'm now considering the future without the Amex card. I've managed to find ways to put quite a lot of expenditure through the Amex at 1.5 points per $. Moving on, the Visa card is now going to give 1:1, with a $7500 cap. Currently my Visa gives 1 point per $1.33 (my mistake in previous post. I thought it was 1:1.5 giving them a 20% profit. At 1:1.33 it's a 6.4% profit). The sum is whether it's worth retaining ANZ Black, simply for the 1:1 on the Visa. Many places I deal with won't take Amex so it could be worth it, even with the cap. Hence my interest in the calculation. $7500/month is still $90,000 PA. Obtain a separate Amex card to do the donkey work and use up the ANZ at 1:1.

Interesting viewpoint. I would say that any seller needs to justify their fee unless they are in a monopoly position. If they cannot, I, the customer, vote with my feet and go elsewhere.
I'm very interested in your break even spend. Is there any chance you could put up the calculation? Currently I put quite a bit more than $38k through my ANZ Black but I'm now considering the future without the Amex card. I've managed to find ways to put quite a lot of expenditure through the Amex at 1.5 points per $. Moving on, the Visa card is now going to give 1:1, with a $7500 cap. Currently my Visa gives 1 point per $1.33 (my mistake in previous post. I thought it was 1:1.5 giving them a 20% profit. At 1:1.33 it's a 6.4% profit). The sum is whether it's worth retaining ANZ Black, simply for the 1:1 on the Visa. Many places I deal with won't take Amex so it could be worth it, even with the cap. Hence my interest in the calculation. $7500/month is still $90,000 PA. Obtain a separate Amex card to do the donkey work and use up the ANZ at 1:1.

Break even is from AFR 3 March.

Loyalty points get the chop with ANZ dropping dual Amex cards | afr.com

Calculated using the cash back redemption rate of 0.4 cents per point for ANZ Rewards cards and the redemption rate of 1.4 cents per point for QFF based on a return flight from Sydney to Melbourne. Points capping has assumed that monthly spending is consistent across a 12 month period. Additional card benefits (such as free flights) have not been included in calculating the break-even point. Annual Fees and Point Earning Rates correct as at 2/3/2017

FF Black = $30,256
Rewards Black = $46,875

As always it depends what you value points at. If you use them for upgrades then they're nominally worth much more than if you use them for a SYD/MEL flight in Y.

As always it depends what you value points at. If you use them for upgrades then they're nominally worth much more than if you use them for a SYD/MEL flight in Y.

So you can plug in what you think the points are worth and come up with a different number. With that said, the results are compelling.

Thanks Nutcase. Unfortunately I can't access the calculations as they are behind a paywall but opusman has encapsulated my concern. Exactly how do you evaluate the return from a CC? Firstly, you have to establish a value for the product and the value of FF points varies from situation to situation. Secondly, how do you tie that back to an annual spend? Are we talking an annual spend on food, fuel and booze from my local Woolies, who happily take Amex; thus earning me a point for every $0.67? Alternatively the local stock feed who charge 1.0% for my Visa, so every point costs $0.0133? Perhaps those in between who won't take Amex but have no charge for Visa? Is there a typical balance?
I can see decision time coming. Keep the ANZ Black and work it within the limits or cut it up and look elsewhere?

Your spend and income is far too low to justify a FF card plus you also have no status with the airline so will struggle to get a seat even if you do get the points let alone 2 seats together when you want to fly.

There is a free AMEX QF card if you feel inclined. You can apply and see what happens. They aren't as difficult to get as you would think. If in doubt, get a free credit report.

Why don't you just book the flight now on "points plus pay" and be done with it?

Sadly, I am well aware my spend and income is now too low to justify bothering with frequent flyer points, and that I have no status. I just hang on in the hope that they will be useful one day as my travel budget is now severely restricted. I managed a Velocity reward flight to LAX and back in J last month, so it is not impossible. But that has cleaned out my Velocity account.

I have my credit reports, one agency says very good, the other excellent. They cannot or will not give me a reasonable explanation as to why one is different to the other!! And no-one is going to tell me which agency they use, so that I know they will access the "excellent" report.

Unfortunately I cannot book the flight now. My partner and I have just applied for the Partnership Visa, and DIBP will take their own time to make a decision there. Until such time, my partner is not able to leave the country while on his Bridging visa. Secondly, he is now seeking work, so any future travel will depend on him being able to take holidays. So we cannot plan ahead for at least the next 12 months. Longer term, my goal for my 70th birthday is to go to Expo 2020 in Dubai. I suspect this will be my last opportunity to see a major Expo, and I am sure Dubai is going to go all out to make this one spectacular.

I am prepared to use points plus pay if I have to, but a moot point at this stage.

Sadly, I am well aware my spend and income is now too low to justify bothering with frequent flyer points, and that I have no status. I just hang on in the hope that they will be useful one day as my travel budget is now severely restricted. I managed a Velocity reward flight to LAX and back in J last month, so it is not impossible. But that has cleaned out my Velocity account.

I have my credit reports, one agency says very good, the other excellent. They cannot or will not give me a reasonable explanation as to why one is different to the other!! And no-one is going to tell me which agency they use, so that I know they will access the "excellent" report.

Unfortunately I cannot book the flight now. My partner and I have just applied for the Partnership Visa, and DIBP will take their own time to make a decision there. Until such time, my partner is not able to leave the country while on his Bridging visa. Secondly, he is now seeking work, so any future travel will depend on him being able to take holidays. So we cannot plan ahead for at least the next 12 months. Longer term, my goal for my 70th birthday is to go to Expo 2020 in Dubai. I suspect this will be my last opportunity to see a major Expo, and I am sure Dubai is going to go all out to make this one spectacular.

I am prepared to use points plus pay if I have to, but a moot point at this stage.

I'm not sure that I would endorse Nutcase's opinion that you have no options. Whilst your annual income is low, you have one great asset and that is time. I have a business and throw all the expenditure I can through my ANZ Black. I don't do it particularly wisely because I don't have time to give the matter much consideration but because of the numbers, it works for me.
You are in the opposite situation. The numbers are small but you have the time to be canny with them. At $30k pa I would imagine you are spending all your income; if that could all be funnelled though an AMEX @ 1.5 points per $ there's 45,000 points per year. If you could pick up some bonus points for things you were going to spend money on anyway, could get better again.
Obviously there are challenges. I'm not really qualified to comment because I've not tried it myself but I wouldn't abandon the game simply because your income is low. You just have to pay it differently.
Further point that occurred to me after posting. I believe it's possible to get referral points when people use your link to apply for some cards. If you research the best ways to utilise small expenditure, do a write up for FF, complete with suggestions and referral links. Just another thought.

Last edited:

I'm not sure that I would endorse Nutcase's opinion that you have no options. Whilst your annual income is low, you have one great asset and that is time. I have a business and throw all the expenditure I can through my ANZ Black. I don't do it particularly wisely because I don't have time to give the matter much consideration but because of the numbers, it works for me.
You are in the opposite situation. The numbers are small but you have the time to be canny with them. At $30k pa I would imagine you are spending all your income; if that could all be funnelled though an AMEX @ 1.5 points per $ there's 45,000 points per year. If you could pick up some bonus points for things you were going to spend money on anyway, could get better again.
Obviously there are challenges. I'm not really qualified to comment because I've not tried it myself but I wouldn't abandon the game simply because your income is low. You just have to pay it differently.
Further point that occurred to me after posting. I believe it's possible to get referral points when people use your link to apply for some cards. If you research the best ways to utilise small expenditure, do a write up for FF, complete with suggestions and referral links. Just another thought.

I'm in a similar position as aussiejohn, plus attempting to get a credit card on a foreign income in AU is not easy, hence being restricted to what card/s I am able to apply for. I put all spending through my CC and whilst it's not a whole lot, it helps me with building points that I can use for CX flights. Sure, it's only a small amount, but as I'm spending the cash anyway, I might as well get something for the outlay - 1.5 points per $ is better than 0.

Naturally, if I can get better value for my spend that would be ideal, but if not, something is better than nothing.:mrgreen:

Well this is terrible. I rely on my ANZ QF Black Amex for everything. Its always been unlimited earn on each card.
Time to give the banker a call!!

Try the NAB Platinum, they still have it ( as do I )

Break even is from AFR 3 March.

Loyalty points get the chop with ANZ dropping dual Amex cards | afr.com

Calculated using the cash back redemption rate of 0.4 cents per point for ANZ Rewards cards and the redemption rate of 1.4 cents per point for QFF based on a return flight from Sydney to Melbourne. Points capping has assumed that monthly spending is consistent across a 12 month period. Additional card benefits (such as free flights) have not been included in calculating the break-even point. Annual Fees and Point Earning Rates correct as at 2/3/2017

FF Black = $30,256
Rewards Black = $46,875

I WAS getting that most months but looks like it will be a memory too after August

I'm in a similar position as aussiejohn, plus attempting to get a credit card on a foreign income in AU is not easy, hence being restricted to what card/s I am able to apply for. I put all spending through my CC and whilst it's not a whole lot, it helps me with building points that I can use for CX flights. Sure, it's only a small amount, but as I'm spending the cash anyway, I might as well get something for the outlay - 1.5 points per $ is better than 0.

Naturally, if I can get better value for my spend that would be ideal, but if not, something is better than nothing.:mrgreen:

I do spend most of my income some months, but other months, I can save a bit towards my travel etc. I do try to maximise my points as much as possible, by putting almost everything on card, and taking advantage of promotions etc, that come my way, and are achievable or practical for me to pursue. By the same token, I don't waste money pursuing points at all cost.

I use the Amex card as much as possible to earn the 1.5 points per $1, and the Woolworths Visa (1 for 1) for places that don't take Amex. However, it is a challenge when I exceed Woolworths $2500 cap in months of high expenditure, rates, electricity, gas, water etc. Then they are becoming more selective about so called "government" spend and not giving points.

I went to Hong Kong last year (paid), and to Salt Lake City/Las Vegas (award) this year. Although I travelled SIA to HK, and VA to the US, I booked my hotels via Qantas Hotels, with their 6 points per dollar and similar promotions. All up, with the hotel base cost, I earned around 23,000 points for the hotel expenditure on these trips.

Before Woolworths destroyed their Everyday Rewards scheme, I regularly held out for the 1000 point for $30 spend emails. Now they've gone the way of button up boots sadly. I rarely shop at Woolies now, as I need Aldi to help reduce my food costs. However, since the reboot, I have managed to earn the 2000 points needed to get my first 870 Qantas points reward this month.

I work on the principle that I have to buy things, phone, internet, water, gas, electricity, food, petrol etc, so I might as well earn the points for spending the money.

If I don't achieve my goal of the two PE seats to London, which I know is very unlikely, then the points can be used for other travel, or to get us part the way there, and a paid flight for the remaining leg. I am sure that when the time comes, the community here will have ideas for me to investigate. I am far from believing all is lost. I am just disappointed that ANZ are chopping the card, before I reach my points goal.

Hi Everyone,
I’m new to frequent flying. This is my second post (first on was in the introductions). Firstly, I would thank Australian Frequent flyer and everyone for their contributions and hopefully I can provide some help in the future.

My biggest concern is ANZ Bonus Point Mall and a pending purchase through a Hotel Booking with Wotif. I think this applies to ANZ rewards point customers and not QFF. (My main focus is Virgin points) There are 10 bonus ANZ Reward Points per dollar through Wotif.
In mid-February 2017, I made a $5500 (approximate figure for this discussion) Wotif hotel booking for this December with ANZ AMEX platinum and the hotel separately charged a $200 deposit (as-per the Terms and Conditions, and this hotel had the “Book now pay later” option). The good news is that in the ANZ Bonus Mall Shopping history it shows a pending $5500 purchase and 55000 pending reward points.

However the bad news is that I can’t use my ANZ AMEX this December upon hotel check-in (Due to AMEX removal this August).

I contacted ANZ rewards to find out if they would honour the pending purchase. What I got out of the telephone conversation:

1) Pay the remaining balance before the August cut-off date and therefore take advantage of the full AMEX points and out-rightly satisfy all of the T&C of payment. (I will choose this option)
2) Use the new VISA card in December and hopefully the Bank system will automatically recognise the purchase. (Bounded by the new 2K cap and reduced points).
3) Do an on-line enquiry if the bonus points do not show up.

Another question what people think of the ANZ Bonus Points Mall. I’ve used once for Wotif and a few purchases from Dan Murphy’s, but disappointed to get some Bonds pyjamas (No large sizes in stock) and limited stock availability with David Jones.
Is it good idea to keep the platinum card ($90 fee) and use ANZ primarily with their Bonus Point Mall?
I was going to upgrade to black ($375 fee) but AMEX platinum edge ($195 fee) and $250 fee a year of prepaid supermarket Visa / Mastercards @ $5.95 each for my needs is Ok in my opinion for most Utilities. (Maybe AMEX Explorer (Large initial sign up bonus and 1.5 VFF through paypal) then Platinum edge or both.

Cheers
Carltonman

RE: Bonus points mall http://www.australianfrequentflyer....card-rewards/anz-bonus-points-mall-78723.html

Don't waste your time with it. I love how they told you to "3) Do an on-line enquiry if the bonus points do not show up." There is no option. In the end they told me to FAX or post them a letter to chase up missing points.

I had to go through the whole complaints department to get my missing points sorted. They finally gave me my missing points as a "good will gesture" and said once their systems were properly working they would also process the pending points. A few days later they posted the missing points in a lump sum and just cleared all my pending points without awarding those as promised. I gave up on the whole thing and have decided to close all my ANZ accounts.

I do spend most of my income some months, but other months, I can save a bit towards my travel etc. I do try to maximise my points as much as possible, by putting almost everything on card, and taking advantage of promotions etc, that come my way, and are achievable or practical for me to pursue. By the same token, I don't waste money pursuing points at all cost.

I use the Amex card as much as possible to earn the 1.5 points per $1, and the Woolworths Visa (1 for 1) for places that don't take Amex. However, it is a challenge when I exceed Woolworths $2500 cap in months of high expenditure, rates, electricity, gas, water etc. Then they are becoming more selective about so called "government" spend and not giving points.

I went to Hong Kong last year (paid), and to Salt Lake City/Las Vegas (award) this year. Although I travelled SIA to HK, and VA to the US, I booked my hotels via Qantas Hotels, with their 6 points per dollar and similar promotions. All up, with the hotel base cost, I earned around 23,000 points for the hotel expenditure on these trips.

Before Woolworths destroyed their Everyday Rewards scheme, I regularly held out for the 1000 point for $30 spend emails. Now they've gone the way of button up boots sadly. I rarely shop at Woolies now, as I need Aldi to help reduce my food costs. However, since the reboot, I have managed to earn the 2000 points needed to get my first 870 Qantas points reward this month.

I work on the principle that I have to buy things, phone, internet, water, gas, electricity, food, petrol etc, so I might as well earn the points for spending the money.

If I don't achieve my goal of the two PE seats to London, which I know is very unlikely, then the points can be used for other travel, or to get us part the way there, and a paid flight for the remaining leg. I am sure that when the time comes, the community here will have ideas for me to investigate. I am far from believing all is lost. I am just disappointed that ANZ are chopping the card, before I reach my points goal.

We are really swimming in the shallow end now.

This plan is all well and good providing that no other rules change by the time you are ready to travel. The chances of that happening are very slim.

The best counsel would be to burn the points and book your flight. It would be better to definitely go on this trip than to make all these pie in the sky plans only to have them snatched from you by an inevitable change of rules.

A bird in the hand.......

Does anyone know when this comes into effect from? As yet ANZ has not. sent me any communications about this, if it wasn't for this forum i wouldn't have even known.

Another question what people think of the ANZ Bonus Points Mall. I’ve used once for Wotif and a few purchases from Dan Murphy’s, but disappointed to get some Bonds pyjamas (No large sizes in stock) and limited stock availability with David Jones.
Is it good idea to keep the platinum card ($90 fee) and use ANZ primarily with their Bonus Point Mall?
I was going to upgrade to black ($375 fee) but AMEX platinum edge ($195 fee) and $250 fee a year of prepaid supermarket Visa / Mastercards @ $5.95 each for my needs is Ok in my opinion for most Utilities. (Maybe AMEX Explorer (Large initial sign up bonus and 1.5 VFF through paypal) then Platinum edge or both.

Cheers
Carltonman

I'm not sure that the ANZ bonus points mall is the best value if you're after velocity points...

You might want to do a search around here and look at the velocity estore which works the same way but offers actual velocity points at a higher rate. Ie if they are offering ten points it will be 10 VFF whereas with ANZ it is only ANZ points which you have to convert, leaving you with a lower actual VFF earn rate...

Good luck resolving your existing booking conund

Just completed the lastest ANZ Your Say survey. Had some choice words of feedback in the open comments section at the end. Doubt much will come of it but its something.

Sponsored Post

Struggling to use your Frequent Flyer Points?

Frequent Flyer Concierge takes the hard work out of finding award availability and redeeming your frequent flyer or credit card points for flights.

Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, the Frequent Flyer Concierge team at Frequent Flyer Concierge will help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

Does anyone know when this comes into effect from? As yet ANZ has not. sent me any communications about this, if it wasn't for this forum i wouldn't have even known.

I rang ANZ today to check when my annual fee was due. The guy I spoke to seemed genuinely surprised when I told him the Amex was going and as such I will most likely be cancelling my card.
He went away for a long time and then told me it was because the RBA were marking changes.

He said the change date was 5/8 and I would get a detailed explanation beforehand. I told him I was surprised that he knew nothing about it given the website has no reference anymore to the Amex cards

I rang ANZ today to check when my annual fee was due. The guy I spoke to seemed genuinely surprised when I told him the Amex was going and as such I will most likely be cancelling my card.
He went away for a long time and then told me it was because the RBA were marking changes.

He said the change date was 5/8 and I would get a detailed explanation beforehand. I told him I was surprised that he knew nothing about it given the website has no reference anymore to the Amex cards

Off topic I know, but my experience with most call centres for any product or service, is usually that the staff don't have a clue about anything. You are only meant to ask certain questions, so that they can read the canned answer shown on their screen. Asking questions outside of that just sends the whole operation into chaos.

My understanding is the annual fee is paid in advance. Therefore, come 5 August, we'll all be due some level of pro rata refund. I don't think it's a matter of waiting until the next annual fee is levied.

We are really swimming in the shallow end now.

This plan is all well and good providing that no other rules change by the time you are ready to travel. The chances of that happening are very slim.

The best counsel would be to burn the points and book your flight. It would be better to definitely go on this trip than to make all these pie in the sky plans only to have them snatched from you by an inevitable change of rules.

A bird in the hand.......

Are you trying to tell me that the frequent flyer points game is only for high net worth individuals, and I have no place at the table? I am sure that not every member here deals in hundreds of thousands, or even millions of points, as maybe you do, but we can all aspire to get some benefits from it, however small.

I fully understand my limitations, but I will persist a little longer, and give up when it finally gets all too hard. I managed to get the J trip to Los Angeles on Velocity points, so, while difficult, it is possible. I will not likely do that again, but I may earn enough for domestic opportunities.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am unable to book the flights now, as I have other constraints. Until Immigration decides my partner is allowed to stay in Australia, I can do nothing. We do not expect an answer on that till at least late 2017 at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back