ANZ QANTAS Visa: reduction in benefits list

Discussion in 'ANZ Credit Card Rewards' started by sambo, Jun 15, 2004.

1. sambo

sambo Intern

Jun 2, 2004
    Melbourne
    I´ve really had enough of my ANZ qantas Visa. I´ve just watched the benefits go down the drain, and annual fee go through the roof.

If anyone feels like listing all the benefits that have dissappeared over the last three years, I´d appreciate it as I´m about to write a scathing letter to ANZ on this topic, and I´d like to list all the negatives I can.

Let me get you all started:

1. points capping (grrrrr)
    2. removal of automatic travel insurance
    3. markedly increased fees
    4. exiting of major bonus partner Telstra
    5. removal of 2 points/$ for overseas purchases(I particularly hate this one)

Help me out guys.
    Registered Users don't see this and have the option of removing all other advertisements.  Register HERE

Gordon, I know you´ll be interested in helping out here.

Sambo.

2. Rick93

Rick93 Established Member

Nov 10, 2002
    All card issuers are making it harder for us!

I noticed how ANZ 'bonus partners' had dropped their 'bonus' points down to ONE!!!

You use to get up to 6 points per dollar a few years ago.... now, there are virtually NO bonus partners offering more than a single point over the one point per dollar spent. A total of TWO points is all you can get these days... BIG DEAL!!!!

As for other 'losses'....well, I think, the 'Rewards' magazine has declined to s*it as well! There's nothing really useful in it anymore. Not like years ago. I recall, the best deal I got from the 'old' mag. was from Kathmandu (adventure / camping type gear & clothing). Spend $1,000. and get 30,000 bonus points.... plus 3 points per dollar on top. I bought just over $2,000. worth of gear.... and got about 67,000 points, which when converted to QFF points, I took a Qantas offer of 60,000 points for TWO return tickets to Hong Kong.

So, that was VALUE !!! But we won't see that anymore....

regards,

3. sambo

sambo Intern

Jun 2, 2004
    Melbourne
    That´s the sort of offer dreams are made of!!! The only big bonus point offers I´ve seen of recent times are for home loans, term investments etc where big money is involved. To spend $2000 and get 2 free return HK flights is truly amazing. I just wish I was involved in all this a few years back in ¨the good ´ole days¨.

If you can think of any oither benefit withdrawals ANZ have taken from the card, I´d be happy to hear them.

Sam

4. danielh

danielh Member

Dec 5, 2003
    There are two other similar posts about this.

http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/discus/viewtopic.php?t=248

and

http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/discus/viewtopic.php?t=213

Below is a copy of a letter I sent to ANZ at the time. It's taken from the first thread.

Regards
    Daniel

[/quote]

5. wleong

wleong Intern

Jan 26, 2003
    Sydney
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    It's not all the Bank's fault, I blame the Reserve Bank credit card reforms when they cut the Bank's interchange fee by 50%. When you lose millions of $$$ worth of income, something's got to give like our rewards program.

I have not seen any merchants reduce their price levels as a result. It has enable the merchants to charge a levy to recoup their cost. I find consumers are worse off under this reform. Eg, Qantas, Telstra with plenty more to come in the future.

:evil:

6. danielh

danielh Member

Dec 5, 2003
    What I would have hoped is that with the ANZ not have done such a large change to its ANZ Gold Visa card.

From memory, out of the four things I listed in my letter to the ANZ, they could have at least kept the fee free overseas transactions and the free free accounts. We are paying AU$150 ($95 for ANZ and $55 for Qantas) a year for some sort of benefit and apart from some insurance things and a larger points cap value, I can't really see what the difference is between the Gold and Normal.

I would have liked to see the whole things not done in such a broad based knee jerk reaction as they did last October 03.

Regards
    Daniel

7. danielh

danielh Member

Dec 5, 2003
    What I would have hoped is that with the ANZ not have done such a large change to its ANZ Gold Visa card.

From memory, out of the four things I listed in my letter to the ANZ, they could have at least kept the fee free overseas transactions and the free free accounts. We are paying AU$150 ($95 for ANZ and $55 for Qantas) a year for some sort of benefit and apart from some insurance things and a larger points cap value, I can't really see what the difference is between the Gold and Normal.

I would have liked to see the whole things not done in such a broad based knee jerk reaction as they did last October 03.

Regards
    Daniel

8. Rick93

Rick93 Established Member

Nov 10, 2002
    "loss of millions in income...."
    How about balancing that up with BILLIONS IN PROFIT' !!!

I can also claim... that I've lost millions in income.... it's just a shame I didn't land that Hollywood movie contract all those years ago!

.... but I won't complain (smirk)

regards,

9. wleong

wleong Intern

Jan 26, 2003
    Sydney
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Here's an interesting article out of Saturday's AFR.