ANZ have lost it - don't want loyalty, cancelling card!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueAU

I complained about ANZ charging for currency conversion fees on PayPal when PayPal specifically charges in AUD on a frequent flyer platinum card ($300 a year)

ANZ have a policy now to charge you the fee on most merchants even when they do AUD.

The exceptions are:
* Tiger Airways
* Carnival Australia
* Expedia
* Hotel.com.au
* Weight Watchers
* Pacific Dawn

So I wrote them a secure mail asking them to refund my fees as I was not happy about it, they wouldn't do it. I said I was going to cancel my card as a result.

I'm at the shops a few days later, trying to pay for goods. They don't take AMEX. So I bring out my Plat Visa. Declined with PIN. They said my PIN was wrong, so I tried signing. Declined.

After holding up the queue and waiting for someone at ANZ, they said my card was cancelled as requested by me.

The next day I had to go into a branch, and the manager helped me out and understood me, and got it reinstated. He apologised and said someone must have been sleepy or wanted to go home and just canned the card.

Later I got a phone call from the supervisor of card retention in Melbourne.

I was told that
  • You specifically asked to cancel the card
  • You threatened us by playing a game, and we don't play games
  • You have had the fee reversed once before (42c !!! )

As general customer service goes, this guy wouldn't let me say anything. Everytime I spoke, he butted in and said what he wanted. Basically he said ANZ does not want my loyalty and will not be refunding anything further on this card. I said I did not ask for the card to be cancelled, it was in plain english, he said "Well that is your perogative". :evil:

Further to that, he said I was on a promotion for half price annual fee, and that is more than enough. (However this was set on the system way before this dispute happened).

I said I wanted to complain, he gave me the details and assured me that ANZ stands by what he told me and that I would be wasting my time.

I've been with ANZ for 11 years.

Someone has lost it!!!

With all their current changes to frequent flyer and things, I hope ANZ loses lots of business.

I will be taking 3 credit cards, a mortgage and other banking products away from them due to this idiot!

:evil:

Had a similar experience with ANZ a few years ago. Had multiple savings account, an etrade account, 2 credit cards & a mortgage with them. Went into the local branch to see the manager to see if we could get a reduction in the interest rate on the credit card and or mortgage or too see if there was a better way of linking all our banking needs to make things easier. The manager said 'it looks all good' and gave us a plastic money box for our bub and pushed us out the door.

We walked out the door into another bank and changed everything over with a very good deal on interest rates. ANZ customer service rang up a few weeks later and asked why we had suddenly left them. Go figure

I'm all for just leaving a coughpy bank. I do love it when you get the "why did you leave us call".

You'd think by now they'd have realised a happy customer is a cheaper way to profit than trying to poach someone else' customer.

Ilost interest with the ANZ QF Gold card when they removed the free travel insurance. Considering how expensive it was, and thelimited number of points you could earn, it really seemed like they wanted to kill the card off.

Given the ANZ cards are far from market leading, I'd just give them the finger and go somewhere else.

When I tried to cancel my QF ANZ visa card they transferred me to the cancellation section who offered a one off payment of $120.00 as a 'goodwill' gesture as long as I didn't cancel the card in the next 3 months.

Next time I go to cancel it I will just cut up the card and mail off the request to cancel to them as I'm sick of having to justify why I'm cancelling.

My new year's resolution was to get tough on banks and not pay anything in the way of account keeping fees on savings accounts or annual fees on credit cards.

Had an ANZ visa debit card which they wanted $6.00 a month for but cancelled that despite them waiving the monthly fee for a few months. Still have the ANZ access savings account which they are currently waiving the monthly fee of $5.00 for for the next few months but won't hesitate to close it if I can't get it waived again.

Also with Members Equity bank who my mortgage is with and they are absolutely brilliant. Just about everytime I ring them I've had zero wait time on the phone. No fees at all either for any of the savings accounts with them so they've got my vote!

I can understand your absolute dissatisfaction with ANZ and support your decision entirely!

Next time I go to cancel it I will just cut up the card and mail off the request to cancel to them as I'm sick of having to justify why I'm cancelling.

You do not have to justify anything to them. just tell them to cancel the service and if they ask why you want to close the account, just tell them "so that it isn't open anymore" and that you don't intend to discuss it. This will end the conversation v quickly

Dave

As far as I can see that within the Australian financial industry, customer loyalty is something that nobody appreciates. As such, I tend to close my accounts, being a credit or deposit, soon after I stop using them in order to be a "new customer" down the track to get a better deal.

I complained about ANZ charging for currency conversion fees on PayPal when PayPal specifically charges in AUD on a frequent flyer platinum card ($300 a year)

ANZ have a policy now to charge you the fee on most merchants even when they do AUD.

The exceptions are:
* Tiger Airways
* Carnival Australia
* Expedia
* Hotel.com.au
* Weight Watchers
* Pacific Dawn

So I wrote them a secure mail asking them to refund my fees as I was not happy about it, they wouldn't do it. I said I was going to cancel my card as a result.

I'm at the shops a few days later, trying to pay for goods. They don't take AMEX. So I bring out my Plat Visa. Declined with PIN. They said my PIN was wrong, so I tried signing. Declined.

After holding up the queue and waiting for someone at ANZ, they said my card was cancelled as requested by me.

The next day I had to go into a branch, and the manager helped me out and understood me, and got it reinstated. He apologised and said someone must have been sleepy or wanted to go home and just canned the card.

Later I got a phone call from the supervisor of card retention in Melbourne.

I was told that
  • You specifically asked to cancel the card
  • You threatened us by playing a game, and we don't play games
  • You have had the fee reversed once before (42c !!! )

As general customer service goes, this guy wouldn't let me say anything. Everytime I spoke, he butted in and said what he wanted. Basically he said ANZ does not want my loyalty and will not be refunding anything further on this card. I said I did not ask for the card to be cancelled, it was in plain english, he said "Well that is your perogative". :evil:

Further to that, he said I was on a promotion for half price annual fee, and that is more than enough. (However this was set on the system way before this dispute happened).

I said I wanted to complain, he gave me the details and assured me that ANZ stands by what he told me and that I would be wasting my time.

I've been with ANZ for 11 years.

Someone has lost it!!!

With all their current changes to frequent flyer and things, I hope ANZ loses lots of business.

I will be taking 3 credit cards, a mortgage and other banking products away from them due to this idiot!

:evil:

It sounds like there are two issues here - the element of your Terms & Conditions that you would rather not be in existence, and the way that you were treated by a staff member.

With regards to the fee you were charged, the Terms & Conditions have recently been changed to reflect that a fee will be charged for transactions performed by merchants located outside Australia, regardless of the currency the transaction is in. This is a condition of your credit card account, and if you wish to avoid this fee you would have to use another bank's credit card.

It is not realistic for banks to reverse every fee or change the operation of people's accounts when they don't like how they work - ie they are not going to give you travel insurance on a card without travel insurance just because you would like it to have insurance. Nor would they pay an insurance claim where you paid for an amenity kit onboard as the only purchase towards your holiday... when the T&Cs state you need to have purchased your return flight (or a min spend on travel such as a hotel).

Further to the above, whilst you may not be happy with that aspect of your account, it is reasonable for ANZ to deny your request to reverse those fees as they were charged appropriately.

However, the way that they treated you is appalling, and I would suggest that despite that person being the team leader, you should ring and request to speak to their manager.

This is the type of complaint (ie the complaint about the staff member's treatment of you) that ANZ would like to know about - there are QA processes in place that will not always pick up all instances of this. This is an example of something that should be raised so they can make sure it doesn't happen to others.

Regardless of whether ANZ for one reason or another does not see you as a customer worth chasing, there is no excuse for that kind of treatment.

I would suggest you pursue a complaint against the staff member's treatment of you (however I dont think you will get far with the merchant fee complaint).

All the best

I dont know how the person on phone was nor how you were to the person

It sounds to me that

The annual fee had been reduced - was this in relation to a threat to close the account due to fees?

previously a complaint had been made about the charges and in that instance the 42c was refunded. I posit that they would have explained what they were ; they may have stated that this was a one off

A subsequent complaint was made and they ( unsurprisingly imo ) refused to reverse the correctly applied charged and you then said that you were closing the account

You telling them that you were closing your account led to the account being closed

Then went to use it and found that it didnt work due to closure and then went to bank to ask for the card to be reinstated

The person who called stated that you
had asked for the card to be closed - which seems in line with what you reported that you said
had previously had the fee reversed - which seems to be correct
had played threatening games - had a game been played to try and get the annual fee reversed? If so , it seems that the statements of the agent are hardly incorrect

The person also (re)stated that the currency fees are valid and that they will not keep refunding them. This doesn't seem surprising - standard charges on a card are hardly going to be reversed on a regular basis

I don't see much to complain about on the facts but don't know how the parties on the conversation conducted themselves; possibly there is a recording that they can refer to if complained about

If not wanting to close a card, perhaps not telling them that you are closing the account might be a wise approach

Dave

Well i think that ANZ have truely stuffed themselves with the new frequent flyer card arrangements. And I'm leaving them once the bonus points run out. I was going to thank you for highlighting the paypal issues, as I've just put a couple of paypal transactions through. but given this situation that the T&C have been changed then it is going to be a bit difficult. but then I don't recall being notified of a change. I also don't see how paying an Australian organisation, in AUD with the payment processed by paypal counts as a an offshore transaction. (but i do realise that paypal is offshore).

A couple of other comments; in terms of getting monthly account fees waived IME you're going to be more successfully if the mortgage is held with the same bank as the savings account. So it is a real trade off between the benefits that you might get elsewhere and benefit of packaging everthing together at the one bank.

In terms of getting reduced interest rates, again IME it is not simply a matter of having a mortgage that allows you to demand a lower interest rate. It wasn't until my borrowings exceeded $500K that I started to get lower interest rates (lower than those published in the paper). Yet someone at work still gets much better rates than I can get, based on a superior total relationship. Truely you need to owe the bank enough money that it not jsut your problem if you go bust but also the bank's problem.

Finally, I suggest that asking for a reduced interest rate on a credit card is pointless. Because you should be paying it off ever month and therefore the interest rate doesn't effect you. If you are carrying debt on your credit card then I would guess that you are not a good enough customer to be able to get a reduced interest rate because you're not managing your monthly cash flow with a line of credit or similar mortgage based product and hence you just don't owe the bank enough for them to be helpful.

. I also don't see how paying an Australian organisation, in AUD with the payment processed by paypal counts as a an offshore transaction. (but i do realise that paypal is offshore).

If it is processed abroad then there is a transaction % charge paid to VI/MC for the transaction that took place . Used to be that charges were in a foreign currency and the bank would charge the customer accordingly. With the use of DCC then a lot more transactions started coming in under local currency but the bank was still incurring the international fee so some banks have moved to just charging on any overseas transaction regardless of currency. Makes DCC even less useful than it was

What would deal with the problem is if pay pal actually processed in Australia

Dave

A subsequent complaint was made and they ( unsurprisingly imo ) refused to reverse the correctly applied charged and you then said that you were closing the account

You telling them that you were closing your account led to the account being closed

Dave
Once again I think this is a big jump to the conclusion. Saying that "I'm going to close my account then" is not the same as "close my account now". What we don't know is if the CSR then said ok i can close your account now do you want me to do that? and the OP responded yes close it. Given that the OP then tried to use the card I guess that they didn't think that they had actually closed the account despite saying that were going to close it (at some point in the future)

"Going to" do anything is implied future tense and it is open ended.

But still it seems highly likely that there was a lack of clarity in the conversation. I have had a bit of experience with dealing with ANZ over their T&C in the past, to the point that after one of my successful dealings with them, the very next bill contained a change to the exact point that I used against them. Coincidence, I'm sure.

If it is processed abroad then there is a transaction % charge paid to VI/MC for the transaction that took place . Used to be that charges were in a foreign currency and the bank would charge the customer accordingly. With the use of DCC then a lot more transactions started coming in under local currency but the bank was still incurring the international fee so some banks have moved to just charging on any overseas transaction regardless of currency. Makes DCC even less useful than it was

What would deal with the problem is if pay pal actually processed in Australia

Dave
That all sounds reasonable. But paying AFF subscription and luggage tags is hardly the same as DCC. So I feel a right to gripe, despite that the fee is probably all above board.

I did think that paypal had an australian presence due to the association with Ebay. Shame they don't process here. Maybe I'll take the matter up with paypal as well

Once again I think this is a big jump to the conclusion. Saying that "I'm going to close my account then" is not the same as "close my account now". What we don't know is if the CSR then said ok i can close your account now do you want me to do that? and the OP responded yes close it. Given that the OP then tried to use the card I guess that they didn't think that they had actually closed the account despite saying that were going to close it (at some point in the future)

No having both sides of the story, you could indeed by right, but it is quite possible that the inferrence was reasonable

e.g. if the customer said something on the lines of "if you won't refund the charges I am going to close my account then"

Dave

That all sounds reasonable. But paying AFF subscription and luggage tags is hardly the same as DCC. So I feel a right to gripe, despite that the fee is probably all above board.

I did think that paypal had an australian presence due to the association with Ebay. Shame they don't process here. Maybe I'll take the matter up with paypal as well

If it is processed overseas then the bank will incur the fee. It is something to take up with paypal rather than the credit card company tho ... or of course, use a form of payment where no fee is charged for foreign transactiond in AUD. There are options; even my bank debit card doesn't charge

Dave

If it is processed overseas then the bank will incur the fee. It is something to take up with paypal rather than the credit card company tho ... or of course, use a form of payment where no fee is charged for foreign transactiond in AUD. There are options; even my bank debit card doesn't charge

Dave
Of course, I didn't really think about it. Having not been charged a fee last year. Entirely something i could have controlled if i paid my attention to these things.

I also have an objection to paypal, so i put in details of a card that i know is going to be killed off soon. The card i used last year is dead and I needed to enter a new card. The obvious choice for me was the anz card which I'm going to execute in April.

It sounds like there are two issues here - the element of your Terms & Conditions that you would rather not be in existence, and the way that you were treated by a staff member.

With regards to the fee you were charged, the Terms & Conditions have recently been changed to reflect that a fee will be charged for transactions performed by merchants located outside Australia, regardless of the currency the transaction is in. This is a condition of your credit card account, and if you wish to avoid this fee you would have to use another bank's credit card.

It is not realistic for banks to reverse every fee or change the operation of people's accounts when they don't like how they work - ie they are not going to give you travel insurance on a card without travel insurance just because you would like it to have insurance. Nor would they pay an insurance claim where you paid for an amenity kit onboard as the only purchase towards your holiday... when the T&Cs state you need to have purchased your return flight (or a min spend on travel such as a hotel).

Further to the above, whilst you may not be happy with that aspect of your account, it is reasonable for ANZ to deny your request to reverse those fees as they were charged appropriately.

However, the way that they treated you is appalling, and I would suggest that despite that person being the team leader, you should ring and request to speak to their manager.

This is the type of complaint (ie the complaint about the staff member's treatment of you) that ANZ would like to know about - there are QA processes in place that will not always pick up all instances of this. This is an example of something that should be raised so they can make sure it doesn't happen to others.

Regardless of whether ANZ for one reason or another does not see you as a customer worth chasing, there is no excuse for that kind of treatment.

I would suggest you pursue a complaint against the staff member's treatment of you (however I dont think you will get far with the merchant fee complaint).

All the best

I don't know if I sounded like I was now persuing a refund in the fees (currency conversion) but I know I won't get it back and I have let the hope of ever getting it back go..

The team leader told me that there would be no point complaining as the complaint would be dealt by him, and "ANZ stand by its decision not to ever comp you on this card". I asked if the call was recorded, he said yes, and I asked for his staff ID, complaint process, but kept insisting I would be wasting my time.

I dont know how the person on phone was nor how you were to the person

It sounds to me that

The annual fee had been reduced - was this in relation to a threat to close the account due to fees?

previously a complaint had been made about the charges and in that instance the 42c was refunded. I posit that they would have explained what they were ; they may have stated that this was a one off

Then went to use it and found that it didnt work due to closure and then went to bank to ask for the card to be reinstated

The person who called stated that you
had asked for the card to be closed - which seems in line with what you reported that you said
had previously had the fee reversed - which seems to be correct
had played threatening games - had a game been played to try and get the annual fee reversed? If so , it seems that the statements of the agent are hardly incorrect

The person also (re)stated that the currency fees are valid and that they will not keep refunding them. This doesn't seem surprising - standard charges on a card are hardly going to be reversed on a regular basis

I don't see much to complain about on the facts but don't know how the parties on the conversation conducted themselves; possibly there is a recording that they can refer to if complained about

If not wanting to close a card, perhaps not telling them that you are closing the account might be a wise approach

Dave

The annual fee discount is not related to this event, it was done many months ago when I wanted to close it due to the fees going up and introduction of AMEX.

ANZ argued that they notified me in "Secure Mail" that my account would be closed and I would get a letter in 7 days with statement.

Now, you don't get a notification unless you login to Internet banking.

In the last week I have just started a new job, have worked 12 hour days and internet banking is the last thing on my mind.

The only way I found this out was when I was left in a queue, embarassed because I could not pay! Then I was on hold for 20 minutes to find out what was happening.

After my account was reinstated, I logged into Internet banking, reviewed my wording and saw the reply that they have processed my request to close the account.

Without bringing discrimination in, the person who responded has a name that seems like they are located offshore. Was this perhaps a misunderstanding of english, or a chance to get rid of a customer who doesn't pay full fees?

My annual fee is not even due for a few months, so I haven't even had a discount on that.

But still it seems highly likely that there was a lack of clarity in the conversation. I have had a bit of experience with dealing with ANZ over their T&C in the past, to the point that after one of my successful dealings with them, the very next bill contained a change to the exact point that I used against them. Coincidence, I'm sure.

The CSR did not ask if I wanted my account closed, instead they just sent me a notification in SecureMail about it. ANZ branch manager told me that they should always call people to confirm that is what they wanted. He kept apologising so much....

I had no idea my card was closed until I went to use it. As AMEX is my primary card, I only use visa when surcharges are around and don't warrant the bonus points, or if VISA is the only credit card taken.

No having both sides of the story, you could indeed by right, but it is quite possible that the inferrence was reasonable

e.g. if the customer said something on the lines of "if you won't refund the charges I am going to close my account then"

Dave

I wish I could get a copy of the conversation. I made it obviously clear in my responses, as I am hopeful that senior management get to listen to how their supervisors treat customers!

Dave

A lesson to be learnt, will no longer use AUD conversion by paypal and just suck it up with the bank conversion, or even use debit to pay.

~~~

I talked to some other friends of mine, and they too have noticed a degradation of service from ANZ's call centres. Maybe a sign of more things to come ......

The main reason I am annoyed is that ANZ closed my account without an explicit request or confirmation. The second reason is the way the team leader dealt with it. I am a team leader myself in a large corporation, and if I was caught speaking to a customer like that, I am sure I'd be eaten alive by senior leadership. What happened to the customer is always right.

A year ago I cancelled my Ignite/Virgin credit card as I never used it. It took about 6 "Yes I am sure I want to cancel it" .... even though the card was fee free forever !! They just would not have a bar of me wanting to cancel it, although they were very nice, and I think that CSR was pretty good for a retention specialist.

I don't know if I sounded like I was now persuing a refund in the fees (currency conversion) but I know I won't get it back and I have let the hope of ever getting it back go..

The team leader told me that there would be no point complaining as the complaint would be dealt by him, and "ANZ stand by its decision not to ever comp you on this card". I asked if the call was recorded, he said yes, and I asked for his staff ID, complaint process, but kept insisting I would be wasting my time.

The annual fee discount is not related to this event, it was done many months ago when I wanted to close it due to the fees going up and introduction of AMEX.

ANZ argued that they notified me in "Secure Mail" that my account would be closed and I would get a letter in 7 days with statement.

Now, you don't get a notification unless you login to Internet banking.

In the last week I have just started a new job, have worked 12 hour days and internet banking is the last thing on my mind.

The only way I found this out was when I was left in a queue, embarassed because I could not pay! Then I was on hold for 20 minutes to find out what was happening.

After my account was reinstated, I logged into Internet banking, reviewed my wording and saw the reply that they have processed my request to close the account.

Without bringing discrimination in, the person who responded has a name that seems like they are located offshore. Was this perhaps a misunderstanding of english, or a chance to get rid of a customer who doesn't pay full fees?

My annual fee is not even due for a few months, so I haven't even had a discount on that.

The CSR did not ask if I wanted my account closed, instead they just sent me a notification in SecureMail about it. ANZ branch manager told me that they should always call people to confirm that is what they wanted. He kept apologising so much....

I had no idea my card was closed until I went to use it. As AMEX is my primary card, I only use visa when surcharges are around and don't warrant the bonus points, or if VISA is the only credit card taken.

I wish I could get a copy of the conversation. I made it obviously clear in my responses, as I am hopeful that senior management get to listen to how their supervisors treat customers!

A lesson to be learnt, will no longer use AUD conversion by paypal and just suck it up with the bank conversion, or even use debit to pay.

~~~

I talked to some other friends of mine, and they too have noticed a degradation of service from ANZ's call centres. Maybe a sign of more things to come ......

The main reason I am annoyed is that ANZ closed my account without an explicit request or confirmation. The second reason is the way the team leader dealt with it. I am a team leader myself in a large corporation, and if I was caught speaking to a customer like that, I am sure I'd be eaten alive by senior leadership. What happened to the customer is always right.

A year ago I cancelled my Ignite/Virgin credit card as I never used it. It took about 6 "Yes I am sure I want to cancel it" .... even though the card was fee free forever !! They just would not have a bar of me wanting to cancel it, although they were very nice, and I think that CSR was pretty good for a retention specialist.

Given the information you have provided above

• the team that deals with securemail is different to the call centre team.
  • if you make a formal complaint, they can address the concern around the management of your 'dissatisfaction' being treated as instructions to close your account
  • there is value in complaining - if the complaint is specifically about a certain person, it will not be referred to them for resolution
  • as you suggested, if you were caught talking to a customer that way there would be consequences. How do you think management will know you have been treated that way if you do not raise it as a logged complaint?

If you don't complain and leave you just leave angry, however if you lodge a complaint and then leave if they don't resolve it to your satisfaction the outcome for you is the same, but at least you may have helped the organisation investigate a process that may need some work...

We were with a bank for many years (business & personal) and found an error fee. The bank admitted early that it was an error and they would correct it, but it took 7 months to have it reversed.

I took to nagging them regularly and the attitude I got in the end was it was "only" 60 cents. Can you imagine having a loan with a bank and not paying the last few dollars? I'm sure the bank would just write it off because it was only a few dollars. :rolleyes:

BTW it cost us considerably more than 60 cents to get the reversal but the bank also lost more than 60 cents of our business. I'm convinced loyalty means nothing to banks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back